Sponsored

Automatic braking with nothing in front of me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I’m placing an order for my second gladiator tomorrow and had been considering ordering this mostly for the auto bright headlights and the adaptive cruise on road trips.

Do most of y’all find this useful and would you order again?
I would order it all again, You can use it or not depending on the conditions, driving situations, traffic, roads, etc. - I prefer to have it and not use it when I don't want or don't need - than to not have it at all. And insurance rates are often cheaper with all of the options. My agent said "it's all figured in based on the equipment listed in the VIN".
I LOVE ACC - but would I ALWAYS use it? No.
You can disable or simply not use whatever you don't want if the conditions dictate you take over yourself.
I have everything on mine now - and I use most of it much of the time and none of it has ever caused a problem. Annoy me? Yeah, in a multi-lane turn when there's something in the lane next to me and I have my signal on, but I just kill the signal, it stops.
Sponsored

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I believe there is a calibration procedure for this thing... and maybe the dealer must do it?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I believe there is a calibration procedure for this thing... and maybe the dealer must do it?
They come calibrated from the factory. As long as the components don't get moved or damaged, there should not be a need to have it done again. Some try to charge for a calibration when the windshield is replaced. Since the glass doesn't touch the components, it is usually not necessary.

If it is reproducible in a specific location, or under specific circumstances, then it is typically an environmental issue and not equipment problems. The technology is a driver aid, not a replacement for driver responsibility. It does have sensitivity settings, and the ability to turn it off or set to warning only.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m placing an order for my second gladiator tomorrow and had been considering ordering this mostly for the auto bright headlights and the adaptive cruise on road trips.

I find it very useful, and would definitely order it again. I use the ACC all the time on the highway. With many insurance companies, the discount for having the safety options is worth it, even if you disable the features and never use them. The only drawback to the ACC is it can be an aggressive driver. If it has had to slow down to match traffic, and then the space in front suddenly opens up, it will stomp on the gas to get back up to the set speed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I find it very useful, and would definitely order it again. I use the ACC all the time on the highway. With many insurance companies, the discount for having the safety options is worth it, even if you disable the features and never use them. The only drawback to the ACC is it can be an aggressive driver. If it has had to slow down to match traffic, and then the space in front suddenly opens up, it will stomp on the gas to get back up to the set speed.
That varies - it's not done that with me, but I read the circumstances where it will accelerate quickly.
It's been nice when I've pulled out to go around a truck I came upon and it zipped around. Otherwise that's the only time I've noticed it personally. YMMV - or rather, YACCMV.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver

Like I said earlier my Kenworth has it all and I hate it. My Ram Laramie had it all and I hated it. Adaptive cruise is so annoying. It just turns you into one of the other dorks going slow in the fast lane. I ordered my Gladiator with none of it and I enjoy the lack of beeps and lights in the side mirrors oh so much.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Like I said earlier my Kenworth has it all and I hate it. My Ram Laramie had it all and I hated it. Adaptive cruise is so annoying. It just turns you into one of the other dorks going slow in the fast lane. I ordered my Gladiator with none of it and I enjoy the lack of beeps and lights in the side mirrors oh so much.
The ACC is a driver aid. It slows you down to prevent you from colliding with slow traffic, and gives you time to assess the situation and decide what to do. Some people use it to just follow along, but at least they are at a safe distance from the traffic in front of them. It only turns you into one of the dorks if you let it.

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
The ACC is a driver aid. It slows you down to prevent you from colliding with slow traffic, and gives you time to assess the situation and decide what to do. Some people use it to just follow along, but at least they are at a safe distance from the traffic in front of them. It only turns you into one of the dorks if you let it.
If you’re going 65 in a 75 lane, you’re a dork. I don’t need the driver aid to help me deal with that. Also, I keep the proper distance, I hate tailgaters. I just don’t need the vehicle to do that for me.

Sponsored

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I know i can turn it off but if I have an accident while it is off the insurance company might have something to say about it.
Get a dual camera dashcam system. That way if the system ever stomps on the brakes for no reason and you get rear ended you have a case against Jeep.

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
The auto-cruise likes to keep tracking vehicles using exit ramps off the freeway and brake with them even though you're not following.
Stilll waiting for my JT to be built.....but mother of god my wifes subaru with their two-camera "eyesight" safety system does this BIGTIME. I even had it bring me to a full on panic stop from about 65mph once under this scenario. So it literally put me in a very very bad situation in heavy traffic with multiple cars almost rear-ending me. She still leaves it turned on all the time, but I turn it off in moderate to heavy highway speed traffic now. It does work great in stop/start traffic in urban settings and has truly helped us there....but still feel like it needs some improvement in the highway speed/heavier traffic scenarios. After we lost her dad to a tragic car accident that this sort of technology may have helped with she insists I get it on all of our new vehicles even though I wanted nothing to do with it.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
And that is why I didn’t order that option. I have it on the semi I drive. It does the same thing from time to time. Very unnerving.
Yup. Toyota is considered fairly far ahead of FCA on the whole autonomous driving thing and with how much a disaster the system was in my Tacoma, there was no way in hell it was going on my Gladiator.

Auto cruise is nice but it's not worth getting my ass rammed by a RAM 3500 doing 80 down the 40 because the system can't figure out what a fucking overpass looks like.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
They come calibrated from the factory. As long as the components don't get moved or damaged, there should not be a need to have it done again. Some try to charge for a calibration when the windshield is replaced. Since the glass doesn't touch the components, it is usually not necessary.
It's actually mandatory in the service manual for every OEM I know of and insurance will pay for it. The refraction through the glass can screw up the readings so the sensor has to be recalibrated if you change it.

So if you have the sensor, I highly suggest glass coverage.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's actually mandatory in the service manual for every OEM I know of and insurance will pay for it. The refraction through the glass can screw up the readings so the sensor has to be recalibrated if you change it.

So if you have the sensor, I highly suggest glass coverage.
I get it for almost every other vehicle, but the Jeep stock OEM glass is flat, the system sits behind the glass, it secured to the vehicle frame.
Glass coverage on a Wrangler or Gladiator is crazy (at least our insurance) compared to the other Jeeps we've owned so we opted to simply pay for the glass replacement. My wife's Grand Cherokee is cheaper to insure with lower deductibles, etc. but maybe they figure a JT, like a Wrangler, is a high-risk vehicle.
I do have to chat with my agent and get a couple of things changed (and let him know of the upgrades so he has a record) so we'll see if he has more info now that these have been out a while.
There was no calibration done on mine. It's been perfect - the systems on mine apparently work better than on most forum member's JTs from what I'm reading LOL. Unreal - I got something that works perfectly from the factory (ACC, forward collision, auto high beam, etc.)
Steering, that's another matter, but still, mine wasn't NEAR the problem others had.
Finally, I bought something that worked. Amazing. I figure this was my one shot at that, so no lottery tickets for me.
Sponsored