Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
When I go to www.allmoparparts.com it doesn't come up with the part number (68417054AB) during a search or when I choose the vehicle and choose maintenance parts. When I choose the "replacement parts" button, it takes me to the generic Mopar parts catalog that all the dealers use. This is the one that will take your order and payment then let you know days later that it's not available.
Contact Benny on the forum - he's got a thread here something like how can we help you or something like that. He's active and responds pretty quickly. Work through him here on the forum. He knows his xxit.
Sponsored

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
Contact Benny on the forum - he's got a thread here something like how can we help you or something like that. He's active and responds pretty quickly. Work through him here on the forum. He knows his xxit.
Thanks! I just posted to that thread. We'll see....

...Update - Order placed with www.allmoparparts.com with Benny's oversight. Benny says the filter will take 30 days, the website states "In Stock, ships in 48 hours". I know these Mopar part websites lie, so at least Benny is the first human to give me some sort of answer that sounds better than "I have no idea when it will be available". Now I wait and see if he's correct.

Last edited:

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
To trust the engineers behind the highly complex piece of machinery or the dealers who sell cars for a living... Hmmmm.

By the time most people will want/need to change out their transmission fluid, warranty will be expired anyway.

@Maximus Gladius - is there anything that led you to change your tranny fluid well before the 60k mark in the first place? Curiosity? Lack of trust? Your suspicions and thought process were obviously correct, just curious what led you down that path in the first place.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
To trust the engineers behind the highly complex piece of machinery or the dealers who sell cars for a living... Hmmmm.

By the time most people will want/need to change out their transmission fluid, warranty will be expired anyway.

@Maximus Gladius - is there anything that led you to change your tranny fluid well before the 60k mark in the first place? Curiosity? Lack of trust? Your suspicions and thought process were obviously correct, just curious what led you down that path in the first place.
Fluid analysis by a lab showed glycol.
Glycol in oil is a really bad thing and there is a lot of tech discussion on it out there as far as engines. If you translate that out to transmissions, it at the very least is not good. Ideally there would be none to an almost untraceable amount because glycol is broken down by heat........ so if it was there, after thousands of miles, the amount should be extremely low or even not detected. The amount shown caused the lab to flag it IF I AM RECALLING PROPERLY. He'll have to correct me if I misread that.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Fluid analysis by a lab showed glycol.
Glycol in oil is a really bad thing and there is a lot of tech discussion on it out there as far as engines. If you translate that out to transmissions, it at the very least is not good. Ideally there would be non to an almost untraceable amount because glycol is broken down by heat........ so if it was there, after thousands of miles, the amount should be extremely low or even detected. The amount shown caused the lab to flag it IF I AM RECALLING PROPERLY. He'll have to correct me if I misread that.
Thanks. I was more asking what led him to even touch the transmission fluid at 14k miles in the first place. He discovered the glycol only after draining the factory fluid and sending it out for analysis. Is there anything that led him to drain/swap out the fluid well before the 60k mark?

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer

Great question. What led me down that path was finding out the whine noise I was hearing at about 20k kms was coming from the transmission pump. That then led me to pull an oil sample for the lab which then ALERTED me to glycol contamination and extreme levels of copper and iron detected. The lab ALERT (all caps is the lab) stipulated changing the oil and filter. Our own owners manual also stipulates if (transmission) oil is contaminated with water, etc…oil is to be changed. In my case, the “etc” is glycol contamination. FCA, through the owners manual granted me permission to change that oil and filter.
The resistance came from the dealership who read the lab report and said they were not able to do a flush but rather “offered” me the choice to do 2 pan drops to clear the glycol @ $3400 cad, ($1700 each) MY COST.

In the lengthy and detailed discussion of the lab results and the chemistry of glycol in transmission fluid, I opted for the full flush done elsewhere because just doing a pan drop would still get contaminated by the glycol in the torque converter and pump.

My reading of FCA’s authored owners manual indicates “change oil and filter”…. To me that reads do it all, one time, not multiple times and if cost was on me, the flush was cheaper and accomplished the job in one go.

For the service manager to ignore the book, suggest I pay $3400 to do what the flush did @ $600, then tell me I should leave it and let it break flies in the face of the owners manual instructions and is contrary to my lease contract.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Thanks. I was more asking what led him to even touch the transmission fluid at 14k miles in the first place. He discovered the glycol only after draining the factory fluid and sending it out for analysis. Is there anything that led him to drain/swap out the fluid well before the 60k mark?
In my case, new motor at 13k due to sand, alot of it. Still don't know how. Drove OK for 350 miles and then would shift out of park. After 1.5 weeks going back n forth with jeep engineers, they said new valve body. When they removed pan, SAND! HOW THE HELL I GET SAND BUT NO WATER IN TRANNY?! Now I'm waiting to find out if I need to reopen my insurance claim for new tranny....

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I opted for the full flush done elsewhere because just doing a pan drop would still get contaminated by the glycol in the torque converter and pump.
Just dropping pan, like you said, leaves a lot of fluid in there - and no matter how many times you change it, the old that's left in lines, the cooler, converter, clutch packs, servos, valve body and other places mingles with the new. It would take several changes to get down to where I'd be ok, OCD and all. All you are doing is diluting the old fluid with new.

In my case, new motor at 13k due to sand, alot of it. Still don't know how.
SAND??? Wow, weird! I can't think of any part of the manufacturing process that involves sand. And if you drove through the edge of the ocean on the beach and picked up sand, you'd have water, lots of it, this is just weird.
And since there's no dipstick tube for someone to mess with you by dumping anything into it - it had to be there from the assembly of the transmission, lines or cooler.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Just dropping pan, like you said, leaves a lot of fluid in there - and no matter how many times you change it, the old that's left in lines, the cooler, converter, clutch packs, servos, valve body and other places mingles with the new. It would take several changes to get down to where I'd be ok, OCD and all. All you are doing is diluting the old fluid with new.

Right?! It would take more than 2 pan drops to get the glycol chemicals out of there... at $1700 cad each! It's insane.

SAND??? Wow, weird! I can't think of any part of the manufacturing process that involves sand. And if you drove through the edge of the ocean on the beach and picked up sand, you'd have water, lots of it, this is just weird.
And since there's no dipstick tube for someone to mess with you by dumping anything into it - it had to be there from the assembly of the transmission, lines or cooler.
Don't rule out a disgruntled employee. I stated it in my complaint to FCA Canada as a possibility along with the use of glycol as a washing agent for the internals of their transmissions at the assembly plant. It happens all the time. I was doing work for a customer who was a baggage handler for West Jet. I asked him, How do people's suitcases end up someplace else to where the person is actually going?? He said the baggage is placed elsewhere by a disgruntled employee. The bags have to be intentionally placed on the wrong conveyor belt.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Great question. What led me down that path was finding out the whine noise I was hearing at about 20k kms was coming from the transmission pump. That then led me to pull an oil sample for the lab which then ALERTED me to glycol contamination and extreme levels of copper and iron detected. The lab ALERT (all caps is the lab) stipulated changing the oil and filter. Our own owners manual also stipulates if (transmission) oil is contaminated with water, etc…oil is to be changed. In my case, the “etc” is glycol contamination. FCA, through the owners manual granted me permission to change that oil and filter.
The resistance came from the dealership who read the lab report and said they were not able to do a flush but rather “offered” me the choice to do 2 pan drops to clear the glycol @ $3400 cad, ($1700 each) MY COST.

In the lengthy and detailed discussion of the lab results and the chemistry of glycol in transmission fluid, I opted for the full flush done elsewhere because just doing a pan drop would still get contaminated by the glycol in the torque converter and pump.

My reading of FCA’s authored owners manual indicates “change oil and filter”…. To me that reads do it all, one time, not multiple times and if cost was on me, the flush was cheaper and accomplished the job in one go.

For the service manager to ignore the book, suggest I pay $3400 to do what the flush did @ $600, then tell me I should leave it and let it break flies in the face of the owners manual instructions and is contrary to my lease contract.
Being that it's evident the fluid was contaminated from the factory and you have black and white proof of this, it's insane to see this is even reaching a lawsuit. Also, you're well within the 5-year/60k power train so what am I missing? This service manager needs to lose his job. I would've gone straight above his head if he offered a half-assed solution. Please keep the thread updated and best of luck.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
To be disgruntled, do you have to be gruntled, first?

My father and his friends used to frequent junk yards for car parts - Dad worked in a factory making wages that even back then weren't enough for a car that could keep running. So they saved money and got parts cheap and did a lot of their own basic stuff.
Needing a part for a window, they pulled a door panel off, saw yellow chalk scrawled inside the door behind the panel "let's build a lemon" and there were loose parts in the door - likely the car had some rattles and squeaks before it was wrecked.
I was going through a Chrysler plant years ago on a hot summer day. It was horrible in there - and some of the workers were chanting things you don't type in a public forum and the tour guy apologized and tried to get them to stop because of us being in the area - if anything, it got louder.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Being that it's evident the fluid was contaminated from the factory and you have black and white proof of this, it's insane to see this is even reaching a lawsuit. Also, you're well within the 5-year/60k power train so what am I missing? This service manager needs to lose his job. I would've gone straight above his head if he offered a half-assed solution. Please keep the thread updated and best of luck.
The initial Service Manager quit his job right after I filed my complaint to FCA Canada against the District Service Manager for Calgary (FCA, you know who I'm talking about) who axed my warranty after hearing I did the flush and went with an "equivalent" full synthetic oil as a replacement upgrade. I cited him for being reckless and void of critical thought and intelligent judgement and actions are void of department policy and for stepping outside FCA's warranty rule mandates. That by axing my ENTIRE drivetrain warranty, his action was done in malice and was slanderous against AMSOIL code compliant "equivalent" ATF.

The complete calling out of the DSM's malicious action against me reinstated my warranty and confirmed by FCA Customer Care .... but..... the DSM is acting on his own set of rules which are "out of sight" from FCA. So no matter how clear FCA's system shows and no flags or restrictions can be seen, the DSM refuses to approve warranty, in spite of the clear approval granted by FCA authored owner's manual granting me the right to use "only the Mopar 8/9 Speed ATF OR EQUIVALENT" He has created an atmosphere of fear with the other dealerships that have stepped in to help by telling them to "BACK OFF"!

His tantrum against me has him lost in the "colour" of the oil being red instead of Mopar green and has him blind to the fact my lab result showed glycol from the factory in that originating factory oil which acidic nature ate away at my clutch packs, followed by plugging the pump screen, followed by starving the transmission of oil, followed by catastrophic failure.

Truck has been undrivable since end of December 2021 and I have continued to make all my payments. The lawyer filed the legal demand letter to dealership and FCA Canada and they were given to the end of yesterday to reply to it. Non came.
Phase two commences now. The selling dealership, (originating dealership) was made aware in July last year of my coolant consuming engine and chose to do nothing about it. They were then UPDATED as to the transmission issues with the other dealership in February 2022 and chose to do nothing about it nor even reach out to me with any concern whatsoever.

Today, I put them on notice that my lawyer is drafting a statement of claim and they will now form part of that claim. The lease finance company is now made aware and that the situation is critical and that they need to step in.

The only way all this goes away is if they get this truck off my hands and put me into something else. If not, they will all be pulled into court in short order.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift

Sand is used in the casting process, probably for the case. Sand is still used alot. I have had motorcycle engines turn up a little sand in the cooling system because the factory didn't get it all out during manufacturing. Granted not enough to do any damage but some grains still stick to hard to get passages.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sand is used in the casting process, probably for the case. Sand is still used alot. I have had motorcycle engines turn up a little sand in the cooling system because the factory didn't get it all out during manufacturing. Granted not enough to do any damage but some grains still stick to hard to get passages.
True, like the reproduction castings I've done in the past for antique engines, but the cases and other parts still get machining processes and you would think that with all of the fluid used for cooling and lubrication during the machining processes (holes drilled or milled, threaded, surfaces milled flat like where the valve body attaches, the bell housing area, tailshaft area, there's a lot of machine processes (even if done multiple surfaces at a time today), there's rinsing and lube - that would be a lot of sand to get trapped. I supposed it had to have gotten packed in one of the passages and then it "let loose". Boy, the damage that could be done!

I know some of the holes in things - people ask "why is that hole there, it doesn't do anything" - it was either for indexing, or like engine blocks where expansion plugs go in - it's to remove the sand. And to this day they still get called freeze plugs........

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The lease finance company is now made aware and that the situation is critical and that they need to step in.
In what way is the lease finance company obligated to do anything here?
Sponsored