First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
In what way is the lease finance company obligated to do anything here?
The contract with them is very clear that it is my responsibility to keep this vehicle mechanically sound until the day I’m released. In essence, if the owner of the vehicle wants to abuse and break it, the owner is liable to fix it. In this case, FCA sent the dealership a defective vehicle and that one was sold to me and I’m not responsible for the coolant consuming engine nor for the failed transmission, which days were numbered when contaminated with glycol.

The contract says nothing about manufacture defects, the manufacture refuses to repair. All onus is put on the owner and did the owner comply with the owners manual in this case and do what was necessary to avoid mechanical failures, which included taking issues up with the dealership. Did the owner and the dealership read and comply with the instructions in the book? When was the book tossed aside and fear ruled the day? Where did everything go south? Where was I blindsided? I know exactly when that happened and it was when the book was read and they didn’t believe and it’s been one catastrophic drama moment after another, compounding upon each.
Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Fluid analysis by a lab showed glycol.
Glycol in oil is a really bad thing and there is a lot of tech discussion on it out there as far as engines. If you translate that out to transmissions, it at the very least is not good. Ideally there would be none to an almost untraceable amount because glycol is broken down by heat........ so if it was there, after thousands of miles, the amount should be extremely low or even not detected. The amount shown caused the lab to flag it IF I AM RECALLING PROPERLY. He'll have to correct me if I misread that.
Why would that ever happen in the first place to ever need the transmission fluid flushed and changed so soon? That's hella unacceptable.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
A local GMC dealership has offered to provide a transmission at dealer cost if I want it. They have their contacts and I’m blown away with the offer.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
A local GMC dealership has offered to provide a transmission at dealer cost if I want it. They have their contacts and I’m blown away with the offer.
I would seriously consider accepting the offer. I'm not that familiar with the Canadian Legal System to say for sure, but I don't think the courts are going to provide you any relief.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I would seriously consider accepting the offer. I'm not that familiar with the Canadian Legal System to say for sure, but I don't think the courts are going to provide you any relief.
Yes, I know where you stand and if I lose this legal case, you’ll be the first to proclaim, “I told you so, I knew you’d fail”. At the end of the day it comes down to, what does the book say? The judge will read the book. Mr._Bill, it’s not about feelings, bias, fear, marketing, private deals, commissions, habits, or what one considers “normal”, or what others think. You would even be surprised I had a very targeted conversation with ZF Germany, then forwarded to their North American office about the “restrictive and exclusive language” (I would venture to say you wrote it or co-authored it) of ZF Germany spec sheet and use of oil on this transmission. We then compared that with the “freedom of options”, the use of “equivalent oils” and Chrysler’s “inclusive” language in the owners manual (you definitely did not write that) and you’ve maybe even ripped that page out of your book.

Take a guess what ZF said which manual trumps the other?

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I know where you stand and if I lose this legal case, you’ll be the first to proclaim, “I told you so, I knew you’d fail”. At the end of the day it comes down to, what does the book say? The judge will read the book. Mr._Bill, it’s not about feelings, bias, fear, marketing, private deals, commissions, habits, or what one considers “normal”, or what others think. You would even be surprised I had a very targeted conversation with ZF Germany, then forwarded to their North American office about the “restrictive and exclusive language” (I would venture to say you wrote it or co-authored it) of ZF Germany spec sheet and use of oil on this transmission. We then compared that with the “freedom of options”, the use of “equivalent oils” and Chrysler’s “inclusive” language in the owners manual (you definitely did not write that) and you’ve maybe even ripped that page out of your book.

Take a guess what ZF said which manual trumps the other?
I'm not rooting for you to fail, I feel bad for the situation you are in. I'm just being realistic. I would like to see the court tell Jeep they need to replace your transmission under warranty, but I don't think it is going to happen.

It doesn't matter what ZF has to say. The vehicle was manufactured, is sold, and supported by Jeep, not by ZF or any of the other component makers or designers. Jeep has the final say on what is required to keep the warranty intact, whether it makes sense or not.

Oasis Supernova

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
high Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep's position is that the transmission fluid does not need to be changed at specific intervals.
I thought that was a concensus with almost every vehicle. Lol

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I'm not rooting for you to fail, I feel bad for the situation you are in. I'm just being realistic. I would like to see the court tell Jeep they need to replace your transmission under warranty, but I don't think it is going to happen.

It doesn't matter what ZF has to say. The vehicle was manufactured, is sold, and supported by Jeep, not by ZF or any of the other component makers or designers. Jeep has the final say on what is required to keep the warranty intact, whether it makes sense or not.
Thanks for the first part. I would have never known by our conversations and comments, but I guess I can try to gleam a little hope if I read between your lines. I do appreciate it.

You are right about ZF, almost word for word what they said.

Your comments and our PM makes me think you’ve spent some years in the legal arena. There is one little two letter word in our owner’s manual that if it wasn’t there, I’d have no hope of winning. “Or”. A choice to use something else is given. It’s granted, approved..as long as compliance codes are met. Simple. If the movers and shakers and decision makers in my case could only read….

Those two letter words have stalled courts and legal minds for decades. You may recall way back in the day when President Clinton made the mistake of getting all caught up with Monica and during all the legal shenanigans it’s asked “what is the legal definition of “is”? I never did stick around to see what they came up with but I’ll ask the same thing,…what is the legal definition of “or”.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
SAND??? Wow, weird! I can't think of any part of the manufacturing process that involves sand. And if you drove through the edge of the ocean on the beach and picked up sand, you'd have water, lots of it, this is just weird.
And since there's no dipstick tube for someone to mess with you by dumping anything into it - it had to be there from the assembly of the transmission, lines or cooler.
in the motor, partially my fault, partially manufacturer (leaking rear main). Got stuck in some nasty clay/mud/sand mix, but motor and breathers werent submerged. As for tranny, im very skeptical. Ive heard of the casting process theory, but the way they described it sounded like I sank in the beach. Odd thing is, I've had water up to the windows with no problem before. I feel like this dealer is screwing me... had to use insurance to cover.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It would be nice if the transmission makers would do like Allison did on the transmission in my diesel Silverado (that I traded in for the Gladiator). Along with the internal filter, it had an external spin-on filter and magnet. After replacing the non-synthetic factory fill (3 drain and fills) with the Allison recommend Synthetic, they ran smooth and had a long life. Regular changes of the spin-on filter and a periodic drain and fill was easy for the owner to do.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
It would be nice if the transmission makers would do like Allison did on the transmission in my diesel Silverado (that I traded in for the Gladiator). Along with the internal filter, it had an external spin-on filter and magnet. After replacing the non-synthetic factory fill (3 drain and fills) with the Allison recommend Synthetic, they ran smooth and had a long life. Regular changes of the spin-on filter and a periodic drain and fill was easy for the owner to do.
I always hear that Allison transmissions are among the best

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I thought that was a concensus with almost every vehicle. Lol
It actually has been for years, even decades. I have the TSMs (Technical Service Manuals) from AMC and Jeep from many year ago as well as a collection of owner manuals. Transmission service is only talked about under severe use or towing.
Otherwise they say "does not require service under normal use".

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder how hard that might be to add, especially where a lot of towing is done. (I mean add such a filter)

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The contract with them is very clear that it is my responsibility to keep this vehicle mechanically sound until the day I’m released. In essence, if the owner of the vehicle wants to abuse and break it, the owner is liable to fix it. In this case, FCA sent the dealership a defective vehicle and that one was sold to me and I’m not responsible for the coolant consuming engine nor for the failed transmission, which days were numbered when contaminated with glycol.

The contract says nothing about manufacture defects, the manufacture refuses to repair. All onus is put on the owner and did the owner comply with the owners manual in this case and do what was necessary to avoid mechanical failures, which included taking issues up with the dealership. Did the owner and the dealership read and comply with the instructions in the book? When was the book tossed aside and fear ruled the day? Where did everything go south? Where was I blindsided? I know exactly when that happened and it was when the book was read and they didn’t believe and it’s been one catastrophic drama moment after another, compounding upon each.
Is there precedent in Canada of leveraging the lending arm of a deal to resolve a warranty claim between the vehicle owner/lessee and the dealership/manufacturer?

I have seen people try to do it here in the States but they usually are not successful as it is two different contract legal realms and responsibilities.
Sponsored