First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Is there precedent in Canada of leveraging the lending arm of a deal to resolve a warranty claim between the vehicle owner/lessee and the dealership/manufacturer?

I have seen people try to do it here in the States but they usually are not successful as it is two different contract legal realms and responsibilities.
Not that I know of.
Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
boy what a mess this situation is.ā€¦

It actually has been for years, even decades. I have the TSMs (Technical Service Manuals) from AMC and Jeep from many year ago as well as a collection of owner manuals. Transmission service is only talked about under severe use or towing.
Otherwise they say "does not require service under normal use".
Yes. But I would argue what the definition of ā€˜normal useā€™ is. Without it being specifically defined then there could easily be the argument of ā€œits a Jeep with lockers and sway bar disconnects from the factory therefore the intended normal use is to maximize its engineered, designed, and stated specifications, and that abnormal use only includes situations above and beyond said specifications.ā€ So in that instance ā€˜normal useā€™ should constitute driving theough 29ā€ of mud and muck on the daily. Since it is designed to ford up to 30ā€

yes yes I know this is an extreme statement but it illustrates the difficulties being crossed here. And that of course everybody will try to save face and protect themselves all the while screwing over somebody else. These are the reasons legal terms are so obnoxiousā€¦. Gone are the days of good integrity and agreements on a ā€˜handshakeā€™ and somebodys word/reputation.

my dads old 2002 Ford explorer was one of the first transmissions that were defined as ā€˜sealed, not servicableā€™. Yet I recall SO many service bulletins and recalls with that transmission die to a poorly engineered/manufacturered valve body and solenoids. And it was a major pita to diagnoss and verify.

i guess this should serve as a warning to all of us to get specific answers on some things In written form and to contact jeep directly if any shop refuses to abide by the printed owners manual or shop manual without written documentation from the special repair engineer teams.

sure is terrible for those dealing with such issues though. :-/

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
With all the discussion of "lifetime fluid", and facing a wait for the transmission filter, I decided I would do a used oil analysis before servicing the transmission (and because I promised @Maximus Gladius!). I'm not sure if some will question the efficacy of Blackstone Lab results, but I've been led to believe they are reputable and a good way to determine service needs.

The results confirm my own belief, and those of the engineers that designed the transmission and fluid, that there is a service interval that is appropriate and it's not a lifetime fluid. With that said, I do believe you could never touch the transmission and get a "lifetime" of service without trouble. However, until Jeep defines "lifetime" and "normal use", I'm going to proceed with a transmission service.

My Use case has been:
- Zero towing
- Lot's of off-road. (Mostly desert and mountain, almost no mud)
- Plenty of Texas 75 MPH roadways.
- Daily commute.

@Maximus Gladius - No antifreeze in mine.

Jeep Gladiator Automatic Transmission fluid change interval s on 2021 JT 1652273667020

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
With all the discussion of "lifetime fluid", and facing a wait for the transmission filter, I decided I would do a used oil analysis before servicing the transmission (and because I promised @Maximus Gladius!). I'm not sure if some will question the efficacy of Blackstone Lab results, but I've been led to believe they are reputable and a good way to determine service needs.

The results confirm my own belief, and those of the engineers that designed the transmission and fluid, that there is a service interval that is appropriate and it's not a lifetime fluid. With that said, I do believe you could never touch the transmission and get a "lifetime" of service without trouble. However, until Jeep defines "lifetime" and "normal use", I'm going to proceed with a transmission service.

My Use case has been:
- Zero towing
- Daily commute.

Jeep Gladiator Automatic Transmission fluid change interval s on 2021 JT 1652273667020
Yours has possibly been exposed to more "heat" than say, one like mine. Off-road, desert, mountains = more heat than a typical driver.
I've towed but the heat was never above normal highway driving temperatures, much to my pleasure. I expected to see temps at least a little above what I typically see, but did not. It didn't get hot. Heat kills the additives in any fluid or oil and you get oxidation. No "water" and nothing leading to acid formations.
Tin, zinc, lead - bearing materials - at least in the past. Haven't seen these personally but the replacements indicate similar composition so I don't see alarming indications of excessive bearing or bushing materials.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

My Use case has been:
- Zero towing
- Daily commute.

Transmission service is a good idea, for your use and the mileage shown on the report. The main issue would be future warranty coverage. Are you going to do it yourself, have the dealer do it, or take it to a independent shop?

Sponsored

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transmission service is a good idea, for your use and the mileage shown on the report. The main issue would be future warranty coverage. Are you going to do it yourself, have the dealer do it, or take it to a independent shop?
Do it myself.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Thank you, thank you, for doing this! Now we have more data of whatā€™s happening with a healthy transmission. My vote is to have the dealership do the service to maintain your warranty, however, Chrysler may say ā€˜you were not to touch it for 100kā€™ (Iā€™m thinking kms) so would they jump all over you if something happens with the tranny before 100k and void your warranty?? Give them an excuse and theyā€™ll run with it.
Itā€™s like I said in my thread about ā€˜is the lifetime fluid really good for life?ā€™ I said that if you didnā€™t touch the fluid or do service for 100k and you are now at the end of your warranty, Chrysler doesnā€™t want it and now if you read Blackstone lab comment, you wouldnā€™t want your transmission either OR you should at least feel somewhat guilty you let the transmission endure that gritty, oxidized, break-in crap longer than it needed to.

So in all fairness, Mr_Bill is right for being concerned for warranty and staying true with the book and I am right for being on top of maintenance, to avoid malfunction and have long component life, well after warranty.

GREAT JOB ON GETTING THAT REPORT DONE.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation

My Use case has been:
- Zero towing
- Daily commute.

1652273667020.jpeg
Here is a lab result of a fresh sample of the Mopar 8-9 Speed ATF to cross check the numbers. Also, my double analysis of my transmission to compare numbers. Look especially at the first report. 24k kms on the factory Mopar oil with glycol contamination.

Attachments

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regarding warranty coverage - I totally understand the concerns. However, servicing the transmission myself will not automatically void the warranty. I know, I know; the dealer can still use it against you to deny a claim. I have never had my Jeep at a dealer for service (I wouldn't even use the free oil changes) and have done all the engine service, transfer case and both differentials. If my transmission fails in the next 11k miles and after I change the fluid, then I guess it's my poor luck if I have to fight a battle with Jeep over a denied claim.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding warranty coverage - I totally understand the concerns. However, servicing the transmission myself will not automatically void the warranty. I know, I know; the dealer can still use it against you to deny a claim. I have never had my Jeep at a dealer for service (I wouldn't even use the free oil changes) and have done all the engine service, transfer case and both differentials. If my transmission fails in the next 11k miles and after I change the fluid, then I guess it's my poor luck if I have to fight a battle with Jeep over a denied claim.
Simply keep the receipts, maybe a pic or two of the process as proof you used those supplies on your truck (should never be needed, though) and document it on your MOPAR garage online like the dealership would do. You'll be good unless the dealership is looking to lose customers.
I do suggest, just a suggestion for what it's worth - use the MOPAR stuff. They can't possibly argue that the fluid caused anything. Frankly, with the costs of automatic transmissions, I can't see any good reason to not use it. I'm trading so the next person will be dealing with any fluid changes, but if I keep the next one long enough, I'll use the MOPAR stuff. I don't even try to save money when the thing I'm dealing with is worth so much more than any money saved.

When I rebuilt my T5 I dug up the original specs for the gear lube, and since AMC is gone, I followed the path up through MOPAR, FCA and so on and found a fluid I could trace all the way back to AMC specs - that's how picky I was.

Sponsored

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Simply keep the receipts, maybe a pic or two of the process as proof you used those supplies on your truck (should never be needed, though) and document it on your MOPAR garage online like the dealership would do. You'll be good unless the dealership is looking to lose customers.
I do suggest, just a suggestion for what it's worth - use the MOPAR stuff. They can't possibly argue that the fluid caused anything. Frankly, with the costs of automatic transmissions, I can't see any good reason to not use it. I'm trading so the next person will be dealing with any fluid changes, but if I keep the next one long enough, I'll use the MOPAR stuff. I don't even try to save money when the thing I'm dealing with is worth so much more than any money saved.

When I rebuilt my T5 I dug up the original specs for the gear lube, and since AMC is gone, I followed the path up through MOPAR, FCA and so on and found a fluid I could trace all the way back to AMC specs - that's how picky I was.
Indeed, Thanks. I never skimp on fluids and filtration. I ordered Mopar parts for the filter and gasket (I'm choosing to not even re-use the re-usable gasket) and the Mopar (ZF) 8&9 speed Transmission fluid.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Indeed, Thanks. I never skimp on fluids and filtration. I ordered Mopar parts for the filter and gasket (I'm choosing to not even re-use the re-usable gasket) and the Mopar (ZF) 8&9 speed Transmission fluid.
Maybe you can document the change procedure for the rest of us. The missing dip stick tube makes it more difficult to add the new fluid, and check the level. Hopefully, the pan drop and filter change is fairly easy.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe you can document the change procedure for the rest of us. The missing dip stick tube makes it more difficult to add the new fluid, and check the level. Hopefully, the pan drop and filter change is fairly easy.
There's some info on YT, but it's not specific to JT as far as how much is in the way, etc.

There's a process to check the level at the correct temperature, not more, not less, that sort of thing. Done from under the vehicle where things get hot when waiting for the transmission temperature to get up to correct temp for checking.
I'd like to see a JT specific process as well.

donaldus

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1974 VW
Occupation
Driver
I can't find anything in the owners manual about the transmission fluid change intervals on 2021 JT automatic transmission.
Anybody has any idea ??
Ordered the PFE aluminum trans pan; in short DONā€™T! Doesnā€™t fit the 3.6 (crossover pipe interference). Anyway, it forced replacement of the filter and fluid. It is a royal pain; watched PPEā€™s install video on youtube. Trans temp is available on your instrument panelā€¦reverse for 5 secā€¦fwd for 5ā€¦park. Check level,

donaldus

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1974 VW
Occupation
Driver
not easy; have to drop tranny support, t40 torx times 13, drop rear screws first, fluid everywhere.
Sponsored