Automatic vs manual

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Does the auto 8 speed behave like a manual when in automatic mode? By this I mean does it assist with slowing by downshifting when the engine is cruising at say 2500 rpm and the skinny is released or do the downshifts occur only when the rpm gets close to idle? I ask because my F150 has the learning mode auto that does anything but. It will not assist slowing and you can watch the tach drop to idle, 700ish, at about 1100 rpm. Downshifts occur with a very slight bump in idle speed indicated. While this may be normal behavior, it is not what I would deem an assist. Compare this to a manual that can be downshifted to slow at any rpm and you undertand my question. It is very annoying to be slowing with brakes, then back on the gas because the light changed and have the thing lurch and buck while downshifting from OD to second when I would have already been in the appropriate gear with a manual. Proactive vs reactive. Cheers.
Sponsored

JT LIFE

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Eco Diesel
Occupation
Retired
I've got the diesel and that's the first thing I noticed! My f350 only did this when the tow/haul function was being used...

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Hard to follow what you are asking. Some people talk about engine braking coming to a light, I have never noticed it, I just get in and drive. Go test drive if it's something you are going to be hyper focused on, only way to know if it will work for you or not.

Honestly, the brakes are not the best and it could use a little extra help :LOL:

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
If you’ve got the cruise control set, the AT will downshift to maintain speed going downhill.
When coming to a stop, it doesn’t downshift to assist slowing, unless you use the manual mode.
I’ve noticed that, for the most part, the AT is pretty responsive. I’ve not noticed it hunting gears like the Ford 10-speed.
And the brakes on my Gladiator are just fine.

Kevin

Last edited:
OP
OP

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
It seems no automatic ever behaves like a manual without manual input despite manufacturer claims. I just wanted to know the actual owner obsevations as to downshifting using the tach and butt-o-meter without the auto-stick.

Sponsored

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
Your question is completely understood here. We also have a lot of steep grades.

The auto in my diesel ZR2 Bison did this. I could downshift, and engine brake... I say this, but I almost always coupled it with the exhaust brake, so it could be like the F350 mentioned above. Don't have my JT yet. I had been assuming all along that it would engine brake in manual mode, but never actually thought to question it. That would really suck if it didn't.

OP
OP

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
The auto-stick will allow downshifting for engine braking unless the nanny computer thinks otherwise. The owner's manual has shift points for the manual box only.

Boston Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
I have my 22 JT for 1,300 miles now. I come from a Volt and just generally hate paying for gas so I like watching the live numbers in the dash as actual mpg is happening. I have found my 8 speed a delight to drive. Starting with the electric shifter you do not feel trans engage D when ready to go or feel anything when shifting into P or N. And I love the smooth upshifting and do not really notice the downshifting.
My style of driving is I try to let the vehicle slow down for a traffic light, etc. Being 4 wheel drive I find it does slow down pretty quick, especially when compared to other vehicles I drive and my all wheel drive Pilot slowed down faster than my JT.
So am not really sure what the OP is asking but I haven't taken the trans out of D yet while driving and do not find I need to in my area which is more flat than hilly.
Basically just liking the truck more and more and am really enjoying it for my daily driving!

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
you can manually downshift and up shift with auto stick... even engine brake to slow down

Sponsored

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
The "Skinny pedal"... look at yours and you'll see 😉

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
To add - my 3.6 with automatic will indeed downshift and help maintain speed going down hills IF I press the brake pedal a bit to moderate my speed. It then will not gain speed so easily going down the rest of the hill and I can feel it as "engine braking". I have noticed it downshift when I use the brakes to moderate my speed on a hill as well. I've posted about it elsewhere a couple of years ago as one of the first things I noticed about it since it's really hilly where we live.

RichDSport

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Rubicon, Mini
I’m getting around 15 mpg in my auto Rubicon after 1800 miles. I’ve noticed there’s places where I could absolutely get better MPG shifting myself—especially when merging or pulling out into traffic. But I‘ve had leg and foot injuries that have shied me away from manual transmissions. I love the auto, aside from the MPG. Start/stop is great on this truck too.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I’m getting around 15 mpg in my auto Rubicon after 1800 miles. I’ve noticed there’s places where I could absolutely get better MPG shifting myself—especially when merging or pulling out into traffic. But I‘ve had leg and foot injuries that have shied me away from manual transmissions. I love the auto, aside from the MPG. Start/stop is great on this truck too.
All else being equal, today's automatics don't have the losses of the past and would normally get roughly the same mpg. Yes, there are times.......... but generally speaking, a modern automatic will usually get the same. There is no real converter loss because these lock up even more frequently than earlier transmissions, other areas are made for minimizing loss for slippage and so on, even weight reduction, lighter gear sets and so on.
There are times you can do better, but you have that choice with these, too - slap the lever to the left when in D to manually shift it.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Only 1800 miles, mpg will improve. For reference, I get 16 around town and 21 interstate at 70-72. 18.something overall. And that is with 35" tires. Inbthe winter, I was down to 17.2 overall. But it's creeped back up to the 18s now.
Sponsored