Sponsored

Auxiliary battery. Why?

Cianalas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport MaxTow
Ive been considering using a small truck box and mounting it in the box in the bed….

if that ever happens I’ll post a build thread.
IIRC, there's someone on this forum that found a copy of the controller Genesis uses for much cheaper and mounted a battery on the frame under the bed.

TrailRecon also did a build where they had a box attached to their bedrack that housed the battery, controller, etc.
Sponsored

Tackett1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT overland
Occupation
NP-C
They use a single battery on the Durango and Grand Cherokee. Don't see why they couldn't do it with the Gladiator.
from what I’ve read, it has to do with the auto start stop. When the engine turns off at a red light, the accessories run off the aux battery.

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
They use a single battery on the Durango and Grand Cherokee. Don't see why they couldn't do it with the Gladiator.
Here's a screen shot of the relay the dual battery systems use that lists the models that use it.
Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary battery. Why? 1630541182950

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
I have a similar question. My old JK I had a dual battery setup purely for jump purposes.

I had it mounted with a large battery selector switch with dual alternators. The alternators charged the Batts and if I ever ran my main cranking battery down on accident in the woods, all I had to do was flip the switch and crank the vehicle. I was wanting to do the same thing eventually with my JT because this setup saved my hind end a couple times. Is it impossible?
That is discussed here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ess-dual-battery-management.60034/

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I believe it is for redundancy when taking it where the truck is supposed to go. If one battery goes bad you should have enough left in the other to crank.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, Grand Cherokee uses two batteries.
2018 WK2 - "both batteries were bad, we replaced both under warranty" said the service writer.

MAYBE that's changed for the new L version but ours have had two batteries.
The small one runs the electronics while it's off so the main battery isn't drained to restart it.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
from what I’ve read, it has to do with the auto start stop. When the engine turns off at a red light, the accessories run off the aux battery.
Durango and Grand Cherokee have stop start and only one battery which was my point. My wife's Macan has stop start and one battery.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Nope, Grand Cherokee uses two batteries.
2018 WK2 - "both batteries were bad, we replaced both under warranty" said the service writer.

MAYBE that's changed for the new L version but ours have had two batteries.
The small one runs the electronics while it's off so the main battery isn't drained to restart it.
You have an AGM?

I believe I was wrong on the GC and Durango.
Sponsored