Auxiliary Driving Lights

atw527

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator; 2008 Patriot
My Jeep originally came with halogen lights in the front. Since then I swapped in a Mopar steel bumper that came with LED lights, which made it much more apparent how poor the halogen headlights are.

I'm hesitant to swap in super bright LED headlights through for when I want to maintain a low profile (driving through town, campgrounds, neighborhoods, etc).

My original plan was to wire in LP6 Pros because they have a wiring option for low and high output. I was going to wire in the low output to the fog switch and the high output to the vehicle high beam. So low beam only for driving around town, low beam + fog/aux lights for rural driving with other cars and high beams + aux lights for no other cars around. But...they don't appear to be street legal.

So do I have any street legal option to add aux lights or is my only option to swap out what's in the original headlight housing?
Sponsored

KHam

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I am considering adding on the LP6 Pros as well and had some similar thoughts. I'll have to think about how I want it to work and look still. My thoughts were that I could wire in the low beams on the LP6 to come on with my headlight high-beams, and wire the high output of the LP6 to #1 aux switch. And also wire the backlit amber to be on with the headlight low beams. As far as wiring, it'll be a little tricky as you have to ensure that you don't power the low and high circuits on the LP6s at the same time or you will damage them. I'll probably have to use 2 relays to get it to work the way I want, with the high beam relay disconnecting power to the low beam side relay. Something like that. I think the LP6 high beam + headlight highs would be way too bright and maybe get you in trouble and attract unwanted attention. They're blindingly bright.

Outside of that, you'll probably want to read up on your local laws for lighting. Seems to be somewhat vague here in Oklahoma other than it does say I can have driving/aux lights for a maximum of 4 lights combined used to illuminate the road. Low beams have distance and elevation restrictions on the beams which I doubt you'll be able to comply with using the LP6s.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
I've never personally ran into this as I dont have a Gladiator yet (c'mon Sarge green...), but is it really that big of a deal to run your auxiliaries into, say, your high beams and just flip them off as you Normally would for oncoming traffic?

My personal plan of action will be to wire them up so the auxiliaries come on when an Aux switch is engaged + high beams engaged. That way, if I'm running in the country all by myself, I can have the lights on-blast and quickly flip the high beam stalk if a car approaches.

Lives The Dream

First Name
Meericole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 cj5, 1995 YJ, 2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JT
I'm hesitant to swap in super bright LED headlights through for when I want to maintain a low profile (driving through town, campgrounds, neighborhoods)
The real question is: WHO ARE YOU HIDING FROM?

Glad_Sconnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
My personal plan of action will be to wire them up so the auxiliaries come on when an Aux switch is engaged + high beams engaged. That way, if I'm running in the country all by myself, I can have the lights on-blast and quickly flip the high beam stalk if a car approaches.
That's how I have one set of lights/spots set-up...connected a relay to AUX 1 and a high beam power wire. So I need to have AUX 1 on, as well as my high beams, in order for those lights to power on...As you said, if I have the lights on cruising down the backroads, and another car pops around the corner it is just a flick of the highs/lows to shut them down. But normal driving where I come across a lot of traffic to and from work I can run my highs beams without having the spot LEDs on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
atw527

atw527

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator; 2008 Patriot
I've never personally ran into this as I dont have a Gladiator yet (c'mon Sarge green...), but is it really that big of a deal to run your auxiliaries into, say, your high beams and just flip them off as you Normally would for oncoming traffic?

So that's exactly what I ended up doing. I settled on a pair of KC Pro 6 lights, and mounted them in front of the winch opening. It's their "driving" beam.

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary Driving Lights IMG_20200914_185756

The lights are on a relay, so I need the AUX1 and high beams active for them to come on. I've only been out after dark once since the install earlier this week, but they really work well. I have the Pro 6 lights to compliment the high beams and LED fog lights as needed to compliment the low beams.

The real question is: WHO ARE YOU HIDING FROM?
Nobody really just trying not to be obnoxious on the road when in traffic.

Hot-Rod

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LE Gladiator, Grand Cherokee
I am considering adding on the LP6 Pros as well and had some similar thoughts. I'll have to think about how I want it to work and look still. My thoughts were that I could wire in the low beams on the LP6 to come on with my headlight high-beams, and wire the high output of the LP6 to #1 aux switch. And also wire the backlit amber to be on with the headlight low beams. As far as wiring, it'll be a little tricky as you have to ensure that you don't power the low and high circuits on the LP6s at the same time or you will damage them. I'll probably have to use 2 relays to get it to work the way I want, with the high beam relay disconnecting power to the low beam side relay. Something like that. I think the LP6 high beam + headlight highs would be way too bright and maybe get you in trouble and attract unwanted attention. They're blindingly bright.

Outside of that, you'll probably want to read up on your local laws for lighting. Seems to be somewhat vague here in Oklahoma other than it does say I can have driving/aux lights for a maximum of 4 lights combined used to illuminate the road. Low beams have distance and elevation restrictions on the beams which I doubt you'll be able to comply with using the LP6s.
You could also buy BJD upfitter harness ready to go just needs to be shortened. Has the 2 relays and you could wire all to the factory switches If you so desired.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
I replaced the halogens w/LED and added Auxbeams. I have the plastic wonder bumper, so a piece of unistrut was added for a solid mount.
Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary Driving Lights IMG_20210115_130259

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Halogens with leds look horrible. Just swap out the headlights. Im waiting for my drl led switchbacks to arrive, they look so bad at night next to the other leds.
Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary Driving Lights 20210123_132847

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
My Jeep originally came with halogen lights in the front. Since then I swapped in a Mopar steel bumper that came with LED lights, which made it much more apparent how poor the halogen headlights are.

I'm hesitant to swap in super bright LED headlights through for when I want to maintain a low profile (driving through town, campgrounds, neighborhoods, etc).

My original plan was to wire in LP6 Pros because they have a wiring option for low and high output. I was going to wire in the low output to the fog switch and the high output to the vehicle high beam. So low beam only for driving around town, low beam + fog/aux lights for rural driving with other cars and high beams + aux lights for no other cars around. But...they don't appear to be street legal.

So do I have any street legal option to add aux lights or is my only option to swap out what's in the original headlight housing?
I went with Highbeam offroad for headlights. They have quite a few options in different price ranges. I went with the drifter series lights, brightest ones they had and still a decent cutoff. Only reason I'm looking at auxiliary lighting now is for spot lights. The Drifters are 4k lumens low beam 10k lumens high beam.

Screenshot_20201128-173204_Gallery.jpg

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yall who have their pro6s set up to power on with an aux and high beams can you post a quick and dirty schematic for that, I've done that with aux lights in the past when hotshotting and its really the best solution

Thanks
Sponsored