Sponsored

Auxiliary fuel tank

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
I'm hoping about a year from now, Jeep will wake up and just make the JT w/ a 30 gal tank -
I wouldn't bet money on that. I bet you won't see a redesign like that until the next major update, at the very soonest. Upgrading the gas tank like that is a major engineering task.

IMO the best bet is to go with the ROAM tank (assuming it fits).

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I'm hoping about a year from now, Jeep will wake up and just make the JT w/ a 30 gal tank -
We won’t see that unless/until federal MPG restrictions are lifted. Carrying 30gal of fuel is detrimental to fuel economy- not to mention payload ratings.

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
We won’t see that unless/until federal MPG restrictions are lifted. Carrying 30gal of fuel is detrimental to fuel economy- not to mention payload ratings.
Does it? If the Gladiator has the same gas tank capacity as the JL, that's a 21.5 gallon fuel tank. A gallon of gas weighs approximately 6.3 pounds. That's a total of 135.45 pounds. If you increase it to a 30 gallon tank, that would total 189 pounds. Difference of 53.55 pounds. Doesn't seem that much of difference. If there's an aftermarket mod that would increase the fuel capacity on the JT, I would do it in a heartbeat.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Does it? If the Gladiator has the same gas tank capacity as the JL, that's a 21.5 gallon fuel tank. A gallon of gas weighs approximately 6.3 pounds. That's a total of 135.45 pounds. If you increase it to a 30 gallon tank, that would total 189 pounds. Difference of 53.55 pounds. Doesn't seem that much of difference. If there's an aftermarket mod that would increase the fuel capacity on the JT, I would do it in a heartbeat.
That 53lbs, plus the weight of the larger tank, would both come off the payload rating, and slightly effect fuel economy. Heck, even a RAM 1500 only has a 25g tank, and while I’d love a factory option for 30, I just don’t see it happening.

Sponsored

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
That 53lbs, plus the weight of the larger tank, would both come off the payload rating, and slightly effect fuel economy. Heck, even a RAM 1500 only has a 25g tank, and while I’d love a factory option for 30, I just don’t see it happening.
I agree, I don't see it as a factory option. I do hope it'll be available aftermarket though. I don't mind the less fuel economy, but I do mind the more frequent trips to the gas station.

JeepDoctor

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Wrangler and 1998 Wrangler
I know one of the issues with going with a larger replacement tank is be able to adjust the fuel tank size in the computer. Fairly recently, when someone wanted a 55 gallon replacement, the computer would freak out if the gauge set at full for too long and would drop fuel reading to empty. Plus it messes up your fuel mileage and dte reading. That's the main reason I'm more interested in a auxiliary tank with a transfer pump.
I put 50 gallon Titan tank on my F250 diesel and took to dealer who reprogrammed my computer for that tank and all my trip MPG data still is correct. And my range is 950 miles not towing anything.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
As much as I would like an auxiliary tank or a bigger tank, I don't think I would be making this mod unless there is a true and proven plug and play system that I can install without messing other things up. I'll wait until such a solution comes along...

41Willys

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '16 Kia Sorrento, '07 Toyota Tundra
I thought that's what Rotopax and Jerry cans were for.

Sponsored

Bobh62000

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Pastor
I put 50 gallon Titan tank on my F250 diesel and took to dealer who reprogrammed my computer for that tank and all my trip MPG data still is correct. And my range is 950 miles not towing anything.
I would like to see a Fuel Transfer tank in the bed that would fit under the hard cover. would be nice for refueling, ATV and generator.

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
Depends on the vehicle. One of mine is a 22 gallon and the other is a 16.
My F 350 truck comes with a 48, YES 48 gallon tank...LOVE it