Auxiliary switches question

D.double.b

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I am currently trying to wire some Interior lighting in my JT gladiator using the factory AUX wires that are under the glove box but I was curious how I should go about connecting the negative. When using the wires under the hood it’s easy to just connect it to the battery but when using the ones under the glove box I am unsure what to do. Do I need to lead a wire from the glove box to the battery ?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I am currently trying to wire some Interior lighting in my JT gladiator using the factory AUX wires that are under the glove box but I was curious how I should go about connecting the negative. When using the wires under the hood it’s easy to just connect it to the battery but when using the ones under the glove box I am unsure what to do. Do I need to lead a wire from the glove box to the battery ?
Any bare metal place should work to attach the negative wire. There should be a couple nuts under the dash that can be used, and likely a spot near where the lights will mount. You could run a wire from the frame ground by the battery, but it's not really necessary.

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
The is supposed to be an area near the doorjam / inner fender area (inside the truck) for attaching grounds.

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
The is supposed to be an area near the doorjam / inner fender area (inside the truck) for attaching grounds.
I just did this for my ICOM 2M/70CM transceiver. There’s a ground post on the passenger side behind a plastic access panel near the attachment point for the door limit strap. There may be one on the driver side, but I didn’t check.

Vicegrips

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
not gainfully employed. Too old, been there done that.
I just did this for my ICOM 2M/70CM transceiver. There’s a ground post on the passenger side behind a plastic access panel near the attachment point for the door limit strap. There may be one on the driver side, but I didn’t check.
I will be adding radio here as well. I would be most interested in your installation. What was your antenna mounting choice? Which dual bander are you using? Inquiring minds and all that....

- Jim KJ1M

Sponsored

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
I will be adding radio here as well. I would be most interested in your installation. What was your antenna mounting choice? Which dual bander are you using? Inquiring minds and all that....

- Jim KJ1M
I lied, not ICOM, it’s a Yaesu FTM-400XDR. :)

I mounted it in the glove box and used the power leads and ground point that are inside the cab passenger foot well. The antenna is a Diamond SG7500 and is mounted on the driver side on the hood with a Diamond K400 body mount. The control unit is temporarily mounted on a RAM phone mount siting on a Carolina Metal Masters grab bar ball mount. I have a 67designs rail that I intend to move this to eventually, but the 1/4” camera mount from them is a larger bolt than is at the back of the Yaesu control unit.

Other mounting options or the main radio unit were under the front passenger seat.

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary switches question 8A16A9A7-469A-40F8-A5AE-AC29FFD3A0DC

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary switches question 9C4AE9D9-C718-4757-A6D3-238D8164946C

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary switches question D56A8EB4-FD24-44CA-AD9A-D98FEBDE5C57

DougM55

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I mounted it in the glove box and used the power leads and ground point that are inside the cab passenger foot well. The antenna is a Diamond SG7500 and is mounted on the driver side on the hood with a Diamond K400 body mount. The control unit is temporarily mounted on a RAM phone mount siting on a Carolina Metal Masters grab bar ball mount. I have a 67designs rail that I intend to move this to eventually, but the 1/4” camera mount from them is a larger bolt than is at the back of the Yaesu control unit.
Nice! I mounted my FTM-100 behind the panel directly beneath the steering wheel. The pics makes it look like it hands down more than it does. At 6’-3” I can’t even see it while driving but it makes it easy to access the SD card.

I have the head unit on the a-pillar but I’m thinking of using the CMM Freedom Top Ram ball to keep it more out of the sun.

C7FBC54A-847A-4259-BC10-0EC592E12BE8.jpeg

CB758BC5-1C0B-4C9E-9250-6ECBE57C7211.jpeg

Vicegrips

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Excellent! I've had radios in my cars from ICOM, Kenwood, and Yaesu, all good so far. Under driver seat is occupied with a safe, but under the passenger seat still available. I've acquired one of these to power whatever rig gets installed. I avoid cutting into harnesses if I can. I've got a trailer brake controller going in tomorrow.
I'll be going with the same location you did for mounting the antenna. Thx for model number, makes it easier to shop.

Too bad Hamvention was cancelled this year. I live close by now and almost always attend. Perhaps in '21.

Bacon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR-LE
I only got my general ticket in the fall of last year. It's been fun learning. I have the two-band in the Gladiator and a 3DR, but hardly use them. I like playing with HF the most, especially FT8. There's nothing like making a contact 5000 miles away.

This is as expensive a hobby as Jeeps. I also have an IC-7300, and a FLEX6300 (which is quickly replacing the IC7300 for me so I'll probably sell it) I'd love to go to HV, but I'm in NJ so it's not nearly as easy as for you to attend :)

73, N0MDH

Vicegrips

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
I only got my general ticket in the fall of last year. It's been fun learning. I have the two-band in the Gladiator and a 3DR, but hardly use them. I like playing with HF the most, especially FT8. There's nothing like making a contact 5000 miles away.

This is as expensive a hobby as Jeeps. I also have an IC-7300, and a FLEX6300 (which is quickly replacing the IC7300 for me so I'll probably sell it) I'd love to go to HV, but I'm in NJ so it's not nearly as easy as for you to attend :)

73, N0MDH
:) When I was younger and broke I worked the world on 15 and 20 meters with 100w cw using a homebrew ground mounted vertical. Piles of QSL card. Great fun.

Based on the last couple years, the best thing I bought for Hamvention attendance was the jeep with M/T tires. It's been a mud fest. They have been using farm tractors pulling hay wagons retrofitted with benches to get people from parking field to exhibits. So I'll be ready for next year!
Sponsored