First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Business owner/Vibration Analyst
Anybody have a bad Fox shock in their Mopar 2" lift kit? I've had a clunk happening in my rear drivers suspension ever since doing the install myself a few months back. It's sounds and feels like I'm hitting a pothole just with that wheel when I drive over just a tiny bump or seam in the road.

I've been under the jeep a half dozen times verifying torque on all the components removed/loosened during the install, and just generally looking over everything back there to see where it's loose. No luck. So I finally asked the dealership to check everything out. They came back and said it was the shock itself. They could not verify what exactly was wrong since it's an aftermarket kit and was not installed by them. But confirmed that it was the shock, and everything else was correct. So I reached out to the Amazon seller I bought it from. Waiting for a response.
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
It sounds like you are hitting your bump stops on that wheel. So, it makes sense that the shock is bad. You can check the shock by trying to compress it with your arms. It should be pretty hard to compress.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody have a bad Fox shock in their Mopar 2" lift kit? I've had a clunk happening in my rear drivers suspension ever since doing the install myself a few months back. It's sounds and feels like I'm hitting a pothole just with that wheel when I drive over just a tiny bump or seam in the road.

I've been under the jeep a half dozen times verifying torque on all the components removed/loosened during the install, and just generally looking over everything back there to see where it's loose. No luck. So I finally asked the dealership to check everything out. They came back and said it was the shock itself. They could not verify what exactly was wrong since it's an aftermarket kit and was not installed by them. But confirmed that it was the shock, and everything else was correct. So I reached out to the Amazon seller I bought it from. Waiting for a response.
MOPAR parts have a warranty..............
The local dealer told me this when I asked about a lift or gear swap, etc. -
MOPAR parts have a warranty. Some things once installed have the same warranty as the truck, otherwise, they have a 2 year warranty. That's what their accessories guy told me. I didn't have to worry about the trailer brake controller or other MOPAR stuff I installed.
IF they installed it, they covered their labor if the truck was out of warranty. So if after 36000 miles they put a MOPAR lift kit in, MOPAR covered the lift kit parts, they covered the labor. If I put it in, only parts were covered by MOPAR because it's MOPAR parts. Didn't matter where I bought it if it had the mopar number and name on it.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I had the same thing, but up front. Small little manhole cover would feel like you're running through the desert. Came to same conclusion, it's the shock has gone bad. New ones on order, havent received yet.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Realize that these mono tube shocks are filled about 60-70% with oil, then a spacer (called IFP) and then the top is nitrogen. Any breakdown of the seals can lead to mixing of the oil and nitrogen. It's called shock aeration. They use nitrogen because it doesn't mix as readily with the oil as air would, but it still mixes.

https://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/what-is-shock-aeration.cfm

Jeep Gladiator Bad Fox Shock 1652124865585

I can't wait to open my shock up and look, suspect I have a breakdown in the IFP disc or the piston seal itself and some oil is leaking out.

OP
OP
BalancedPete

BalancedPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Business owner/Vibration Analyst
Update: The Amazon seller (dealership in KY) replied and said "No problem, Mopar has a 2 year warranty. We'll get a replacement out to you ASAP."

Glad I'm not going to have to fight and argue on this one!

ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
F-35 Weapons Instructor
I will be curious if this will solve your issue. Ever since I installed my MetalCloak lift I get a slight clunk/clang noise after going over speed bumps. Everything underneath is tight but I cant figure it out.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
I will be curious if this will solve your issue. Ever since I installed my MetalCloak lift I get a slight clunk/clang noise after going over speed bumps. Everything underneath is tight but I cant figure it out.
Is it coming from the rear? I was having an issue in the rear. My installer never took off and reapply the spring coil sleeves from the factory springs. I reached out to Mc and got some in. The coil sleeves take out some of that noise. I also installed Teraflex rear spring retainers(only on the bottom side). They stopped the last of my noise.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
MOPAR parts have a warranty..............
The local dealer told me this when I asked about a lift or gear swap, etc. -
MOPAR parts have a warranty. Some things once installed have the same warranty as the truck, otherwise, they have a 2 year warranty. That's what their accessories guy told me. I didn't have to worry about the trailer brake controller or other MOPAR stuff I installed.
IF they installed it, they covered their labor if the truck was out of warranty. So if after 36000 miles they put a MOPAR lift kit in, MOPAR covered the lift kit parts, they covered the labor. If I put it in, only parts were covered by MOPAR because it's MOPAR parts. Didn't matter where I bought it if it had the mopar number and name on it.
So stuff like shocks are 2year/36K and the brake controller would be flat 2year I assume?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
So stuff like shocks are 2year/36K and the brake controller would be flat 2year I assume?
I was told that the brake controller had a 2 year warranty. That's from the dealer. Fact? I seem to recall reading it elsewhere. When I took my truck in before they finally figured out the ABS module was freaking out when it sensed a signal on the brake light line, the dealer said that since it was installed in my truck, it was part of the truck and they had to make it all work together as long as my truck was under warranty. (weeks later the TSB came out) They flashed the ABS module under warranty to resolve the issues.
They implied that once installed, the brake controller inherited the remainder of my truck warranty, at that time over 2 years. Blowing smoke?

MOPAR replacement shocks - hmmm, I've never read a warranty on that.
On the other hand - are shocks "wear items" like brake pads, that sort of thing? Now I'm curious!

ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
F-35 Weapons Instructor
Is it coming from the rear? I was having an issue in the rear. My installer never took off and reapply the spring coil sleeves from the factory springs. I reached out to Mc and got some in. The coil sleeves take out some of that noise. I also installed Teraflex rear spring retainers(only on the bottom side). They stopped the last of my noise.
Yes its coming from the rear. But I did install the sleeves from MC on the springs. I may look at them to see if they are installed right. I am also going to Jeep Jam and I will be putting my JT on MC CTI Trailer, so I will have them look it over.

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
check your sway bar links at the frame...I had the same issue and it turned out to be the sway bar mounts ripping out of the frame..
Jeep Gladiator Bad Fox Shock 1652124865585
Was that with the AR? My ARs make some noise due to the type of joint when going over larger bumps or anything off road. Seems to be normal afaict.

ckgjt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Max ToE
Was that with the AR? My ARs make some noise due to the type of joint when going over larger bumps or anything off road. Seems to be normal afaict.
no it was with the stock bar/links on..had a knock and thought was tight when checked with a wrench driving would cause the link to twist and hogg out the hole for the link eventually splitting the link mount as you see in the pic. had to put the AR on in its replacement

bakobobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator California
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Doer of things
no it was with the stock bar/links on..had a knock and thought was tight when checked with a wrench driving would cause the link to twist and hogg out the hole for the link eventually splitting the link mount as you see in the pic. had to put the AR on in its replacement
I see it now! The AR is a big upgrade in many ways but not cheap.
Sponsored