Sponsored

Bed cover with rack

RYSlimVegas19

First Name
RY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘46 CJ2A (Harvest Tan); ‘12 JKUR (Bright Silver Metallic); ‘20 JTM (Gobi)
Occupation
USAF
How much of a pain is it to access the contents in the bed without being able to open the Diamond Back cover?
Good question ... 3 trips thus far and really no issues with access. Bed really isn’t all that deep (as has been stated for record throughout the forum, for better or worse) ... being 6’3” helps; but more important is selecting gear that works in the space; e.g., choosing longer travel cases and running those directly up against the cab helps (Pelican, Roam, or Rubbermaid). Pack planning and config is just as important as always ... but smaller pieces of cargo go closer to the tailgate. NOTE: I have found transition from RTT ‘on’ to RTT ‘off’ ... and then transition from SlimLine II tray to load bars (allowing DB HD panel access) to be easy ... really no need for me to do it often, if at all, though (so far). Hope that helps a bit ... - CHEERS -
Sponsored

FocoRusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Firecracker Red
try autoanything.com. They are a dealer for TCUSA and it will ship from TCUSA. The good thing about that is they will install the Yakima tracks at no additional cost.
Yep, this is the setup I have. Purchased from Autoanything.com. TCUSA roll cover with rails, Yakima towers and Yakima Lock N Load platform. Works great.

toflo

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave
Yep, this is the setup I have. Purchased from Autoanything.com. TCUSA roll cover with rails, Yakima towers and Yakima Lock N Load platform. Works great.
Good News/Bad News

Bad News
I actually cancelled the order today. I mistakenly assumed I could use the Yakima Overhaul racks with this kit. The tonneau adapter that Yakima makes does'nt work with the tracks that TCUSA installs on the roll cover. I need tall racks to carry my kayak and I could'nt find any designed for this tonneau.

Good News
I spoke with Kim at Truck Covers USA and they're a "couple months" away from releasing a hard retractible that will work with the Overhaul HD towers.

Since hauling kayaks is one of the main reasons I purchased the jeep I plan on waiting for that release.

Edit: Also Autoanything was great about cancelling the order.

FocoRusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Firecracker Red
Good News/Bad News

Bad News
I actually cancelled the order today. I mistakenly assumed I could use the Yakima Overhaul racks with this kit. The tonneau adapter that Yakima makes does'nt work with the tracks that TCUSA installs on the roll cover. I need tall racks to carry my kayak and I could'nt find any designed for this tonneau.

Good News
I spoke with Kim at Truck Covers USA and they're a "couple months" away from releasing a hard retractible that will work with the Overhaul HD towers.

Since hauling kayaks is one of the main reasons I purchased the jeep I plan on waiting for that release.

Well, I had the same conversation with TCUSA in Jan 2020. They were expecting the new rail system to be done with testing "soon". I'm sure the pandemic derailed things a bit, but I would be a little skeptical about the "couple months" timeline.

toflo

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave
Well, I had the same conversation with TCUSA in Jan 2020. They were expecting the new rail system to be done with testing "soon". I'm sure the pandemic derailed things a bit, but I would be a little skeptical about the "couple months" timeline.
Yeah she did say that the release date keeps getting pushed back but that she thinks it will be in the next 2 months. That said I agree with you and won’t be holding my breath. I can be patient considering it might be the only game in town for what I want.

Sponsored

The Gas Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Yeah she did say that the release date keeps getting pushed back but that she thinks it will be in the next 2 months. That said I agree with you and won’t be holding my breath. I can be patient considering it might be the only game in town for what I want.
Did Kim mention if the new rack would allow use of the
Good News/Bad News

Bad News

Good News

Did Kim mention if the new hard retractable cover would allow use of the rail trail system?

FocoRusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Firecracker Red
Did Kim mention if the new rack would allow use of the

Did Kim mention if the new hard retractable cover would allow use of the rail trail system?
I would assume no. The rails that they're working on sit on top of the tracks for the roll cover. Its really the roll cover and the tracks it uses that blocks the trail rail system points.

RemodelMonster

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F350 CC LB 4X4 PS, Chevy Bolt,
Occupation
General Contractor - remodeling Bathrooms and Kitchens
So awesome, I have the same cover and have been trying to find a rack option.
Just got done doing a test fit with my buddy's front runner uprights and cross bars. My X4 clears the rear crossbar set up easy peasy and then rolls all the way to the front set up.

Unless I end up making up an adapter which either moves the upright base outward by about an inch on each side or one that raises the upright base by 3/4", the X4 will only roll up to the front crossbar. So while I'm not supposed to drive with the X4 partially open, it's possible by securing it to the front crossbar. If the crossbar was a bit wider or higher, then the X4 could completely roll to the front and be secured by the straps.

I think that this setup is going to work for me as I mainly wanted to be able to roll the tonneau forward to be able to grab some gear out of the bed from the side and expect to be rolling the tonneau closed while driving. To be able to roll the tonneau all the way forward would be good for loading bags of gravel or compost or carrying taller boxes, but if I needed to do that, I'm pretty sure that I would want to remove the cross bars.

I will be sure to post when I get it set up. I would prefer the easy removal of the Rhino Rack crossbars, but I really need the clearance for the X4, plus my buddy just gave me a set of the Front Runner crossbars that he didn't need.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I think that this setup is going to work for me as I mainly wanted to be able to roll the tonneau forward to be able to grab some gear out of the bed from the side and expect to be rolling the tonneau closed while driving. To be able to roll the tonneau all the way forward would be good for loading bags of gravel or compost or carrying taller boxes, but if I needed to do that, I'm pretty sure that I would want to remove the cross bars.
You know, that’s a good point. 🤔

I think only partially rolling the cover would indeed work for 95% of the time; especially with a 5’ bed.

I know you said you would post up when done, but I look forward to seeing it when you do.

RemodelMonster

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You know, that’s a good point. 🤔

I think only partially rolling the cover would indeed work for 95% of the time; especially with a 5’ bed.

I know you said you would post up when done, but I look forward to seeing it when you do.
I have been in touch with FARINN at FrontRunner. They will not sell you individual parts as they don't want to be held liable for all of the rack designs that we can think of. I had to send a picture of my tonneau and the crossbars and then they were able to give me a quote for the parts that I need.

They actually have some racks with the feet that will fit into the Retrax XR and apparently the Bak Revolver X4. You could order a rack with the legs and adapter, but you will need to order the longer legs separately as the rack kit comes with the shorter legs (unless you order the rack kit for the Raptor which comes with 6 of the taller legs and includes the adapters (she thinks it includes an extra set of the short legs). Only problem is that you would have to call into customer service to get your order to include the rack that is a bit longer than the Raptor kit. It's all in mm so you will need to measure and convert or use a metric tape.

I wanted to get the longer legs for the FrontRunner crossbars that I have, but, surprise, the longer legs are not available with the feet adapters that fit into the tee slot on the X4. The shorter leg part number does come with the adapters - go figure. Will be ordering the short legs with tee slot adapters included TSS028 and the longer legs without the adapters TSS026. These part numbers are for a pair of the items, so for my gladiator, I am ordering 2 of each.

The shorter legs might still allow the x4 to clear even if they are about 5-6 inches as the roll of the x4 starts out pretty short and grows as it approaches the front crossbar. I like the look on the set up that they have showing for the Raptor (looks like the longer legs) and seems like it would help getting gear out from the sides. From what I can tell, even with the tall legs, the rack or crossbars will be lower than most mid height bed racks and we've been all searching for something that works well with a hard tonneau.

At any rate, it would probably be a good idea to call customer service (I had a good experience with FARINN) to be able to fully explain what tonneau you have and whether you want to get this set up with crossbars or a rack. Seems they will accomodate some setups that aren't offered on their website.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RemodelMonster

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bottom line, these FrontRunner crossbars with the short legs and Tee Slot mounting feet work "Perfectly" with my Bak Revolver X4 hard rolling tonneau. Okay, nothing is perfect - the X4 doesn't open all of the way, but it works as well as I was hoping.

I liked the look of the FrontRunner rack kit for the Raptor with the Retrax XR retractable tonneau. The Retrax XR, like the X4, comes with a built in Tee slot. Originally, I planned to order the longer legs (about 7.6") for my crossbars. When I found out that the Tee slot mounting plates were only available packaged with the shorter legs (6"), I decided to try out the shorter legs first and then place a 2nd order for the longer legs if I felt I needed them.

Turns out, the shorter legs do just what I need them to do. When you start rolling the X4, it is such a small roll, that it easily clears the rear crossbar with the shorter legs. The roll grows as you move it forward and will not go under the front crossbar. When we test fit the longer legs, the X4 still didn't clear the front crossbar - so I'm pretty sure that I will not be ordering the longer legs.

I only have the 2 crossbars. After mounting them, they seemed very secure with no slop. I put a piece of Armaflex rubber tape under each foot to help prevent scratching (if I decided to relocate the feet) and also to provide a bit of traction in case the roof top tent wanted to move forward (into the rear window) upon hard braking or a collision.

I'm not sure if you can just order a set of crossbars that will come with the Tee slot mounting feet from their website. If you have trouble finding what you need, try calling Front Runner customer service and ask for Farinn. I'm sure they have plenty of reps who can help you, but I am really impressed with how well she was able to talk with their engineering department and get me accurate answers to all of the questions I had.

Here are some pics -
Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 20210114_195705
Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 20210114_195820
Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 20210114_195829
Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 20210114_195904
Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 20210115_094928
Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 20210115_095049
Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 20210115_095121
Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 20210115_095144
Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 20210115_095158
Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 20210115_095217
Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 20210115_095448
Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 20210115_095503

20210115_095526.jpg

20210115_095639.jpg

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Bottom line, these FrontRunner crossbars with the short legs and Tee Slot mounting feet work "Perfectly" with my Bak Revolver X4 hard rolling tonneau. Okay, nothing is perfect - the X4 doesn't open all of the way, but it works as well as I was hoping.

I liked the look of the FrontRunner rack kit for the Raptor with the Retrax XR retractable tonneau. The Retrax XR, like the X4, comes with a built in Tee slot. Originally, I planned to order the longer legs (about 7.6") for my crossbars. When I found out that the Tee slot mounting plates were only available packaged with the shorter legs (6"), I decided to try out the shorter legs first and then place a 2nd order for the longer legs if I felt I needed them.

Turns out, the shorter legs do just what I need them to do. When you start rolling the X4, it is such a small roll, that it easily clears the rear crossbar with the shorter legs. The roll grows as you move it forward and will not go under the front crossbar. When we test fit the longer legs, the X4 still didn't clear the front crossbar - so I'm pretty sure that I will not be ordering the longer legs.

I only have the 2 crossbars. After mounting them, they seemed very secure with no slop. I put a piece of Armaflex rubber tape under each foot to help prevent scratching (if I decided to relocate the feet) and also to provide a bit of traction in case the roof top tent wanted to move forward (into the rear window) upon hard braking or a collision.

I'm not sure if you can just order a set of crossbars that will come with the Tee slot mounting feet from their website. If you have trouble finding what you need, try calling Front Runner customer service and ask for Farinn. I'm sure they have plenty of reps who can help you, but I am really impressed with how well she was able to talk with their engineering department and get me accurate answers to all of the questions I had.

Here are some pics -
Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 20210115_095639

This post is awesome, thanks for taking the time to share your findings!

cshoem286

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SportS Max Tow (Custom Order)
Occupation
IT Architect

Here are some pics -

You just sold me on the setup, TY for the detailed photos.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RemodelMonster

Would you happen to have the part numbers used? I really like this option, but I think I would like to go with the tray option rather than the crossbars to take advantage of the numerous accessory options.

RemodelMonster

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
[/QUOTE]
Would you happen to have the part numbers used? I really like this option, but I think I would like to go with the tray option rather than the crossbars to take advantage of the numerous accessory options.
[/QUOTE]

I love the look of the rack, but my roof top tent is the same size as my bed, so putting a rack under it wouldn't leave me any space for more gear.

I only ordered 2 pair of the short legs with the tee slot mounting feet so I don't have that info for everything you would need for the rack. It's all 4 legs and mounts for the $147. They are just under $75 for a pair.

Pickup Roll Top/Top Mount Leg - by Front Runner
SKU: LASS028
2$147.90

Pretty sure that the whole setup might run you about $1200. Try to find a picture of the rack system for the Raptor or Gladiator (might be universal) with the Retrax style tee slots on the side rails. I think that your best bet would be to talk to Farinn at the Frontrunner customer service number.

Also, it will be good for you to know what size you want the rack to be in millimeters as the price changes depending on the size.
Sponsored