Sponsored

Bed cover with rack

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Been working on my custom rack to work with my tonneau cover. Primary components are the "test" brackets from kbvoodoo($70), towers from compact camping($100), and cross bars made from 1 5/8" strut channel($40). Ill be painting everything tonight. I have under $250 into this including the paint. The kbvoodoo brackets will be left on permanently as the seal for my tonneau rails will be trimmed to fit them, but the towers and cross bars will be removed when my RTT is not in use.

Looks familiar! Nice work!

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...dea-of-a-perfect-for-me-gladiator-rack.27705/

gladiatorrack-2-jpeg.jpg
Sponsored

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
So I have finally gotten my rack parts painted, and my Roof Top Tent arrived, and it's all now put together.

In sum, I have:
1) Ace Engineering Upper Decker
2) Custom Camping Concepts Towers and Bars
3) Welded plates on the Towers that bolt to the Upper Decker
4) Front Runner Rooftop Tent and Annex

It all works great. My only issue overall is that the Upper Decker will no longer stay up all on its own, due to the total weight. I can open it, but I'll need to get something to hold it open if I need it that way temporarily.

All in all, though, I am very happy with the set-up. Driving at speed shows little noise, even with my Bestop sunrider open. Pleny of space in the bed (under the Upper Decker) and on top of the Decker (under the tent). Pleny of visibility out of the back window.

Now just to get out camping!

Jeep Tent (Packed 1).jpg

Jeep Tent (Packed 2).jpg

Jeep Tent Annex 1).jpg

Jeep Tent Annex 2).jpg

Jeep Tent Opened.jpg

Sponsored

Cman1525

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Occupation
Fireman

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
@PsyRN

@Rocketship

Those of you with the KB VooDoo Hi rise crossbars do you get water leaks from the rail of the tonneau cover?? I have the Rugged Ridge Armis Hard tri fold cover and am wondering if the VooDoo brackets cause water leaks at the rails?

https://ruggedridge.com/p/rugged-ridge-armis-hard-folding-tonneau-cover/rgr-13550-24/

https://www.kbvoodoo.com/shop/jeep-gladiator-hi-rise-crossbars-for-use-with-tonneau-covers
I haven't experienced any noticeable leakage on the couple of rainy days I've been in, but I haven't been in a lot rain yet. Not much rain here between April-November.

cshoem286

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SportS Max Tow (Custom Order)
Occupation
IT Architect
Ok ... Read a lot, time to try a synopsis

Mopar Tri-Fold Hard Tonneau (base)

Option 1
Voodoo with bars or Max (not both, different brackets)

Option 2
add TS Rails (elevate track system)
Yakima
--- (Any system desires with t-rail feet)

Option two appears more versatile and the quick disconnect allows you to be back at stock with minimal effort; you can do rails, full platforms.

If permanent I think the max racks are best and if you just want bars then voodoo but I'm looking for multiple config ... Stock, biking, overlanding

Thoughts?

--- Chris

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition

Option 1

Option 2
Yakima

Option two appears more versatile and the quick disconnect allows you to be back at stock with minimal effort; you can do rails, full platforms.

If permanent I think the max racks are best and if you just want bars then voodoo but I'm looking for multiple config ... Stock, biking, overlanding

Thoughts?

--- Chris
I have a mopar roll up and the kB voodoo bars and hate it. The voodoo bar brackets make the cover’s sides roll up. Also, if the crossmember was just an inch or two higher, you could easily roll up the cover, but you can even get 1 full roll under it. If the bars need to be left on, the cover stays out.

also, the powder coating is horrible and flaking off, and I have a ton of little rust spots.

then you get to the crossbars. No two are exactly alike,where they were broken over, and I had to square two up myself. And One of my three developed a bow pretty quickly too, well under his claimed weight. Customer service is almost non-existent, but if you do talk to the guy, he is an arrogant _____.

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
I have a mopar roll up and the kB voodoo bars and hate it. The voodoo bar brackets make the cover’s sides roll up. Also, if the crossmember was just an inch or two higher, you could easily roll up the cover, but you can even get 1 full roll under it. If the bars need to be left on, the cover stays out.

also, the powder coating is horrible and flaking off, and I have a ton of little rust spots.

then you get to the crossbars. No two are exactly alike,where they were broken over, and I had to square two up myself. And One of my three developed a bow pretty quickly too, well under his claimed weight. Customer service is almost non-existent, but if you do talk to the guy, he is an arrogant _____.

Is this the aluminum or the steel version? I sent the guy a few emails and you're pretty bang on with what he's like.

Can you take some pics or video of the mopar tonneau issues you're having. I was literally about to order until I saw this.

Are there any other options for tonneau + crossbars?

Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Is this the aluminum or the steel version? I sent the guy a few emails and you're pretty bang on with what he's like.

Can you take some pics or video of the mopar tonneau issues you're having. I was literally about to order until I saw this.

Are there any other options for tonneau + crossbars?
Sorry, I already took it off, as I’m going to switch to the upper decker and some towers for loads.

I have the steel. Honestly, if you have a local machine shop, they could custom fab you something, and it wouldn’t be more expensive. It’s a pretty simple design

Jeefo

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi JTR
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

Option 1

Option 2
Yakima

Thoughts?

--- Chris
I'm kinda in the same boat. I have the Mopar hard tri fold and want a versatile option. I like the look of the Elevate TS rails for the stock look when not needing the rack/bars. I'd be wanting a full rack for RTT capabilities. Couple questions
1) I also love the look of the Max Modular rack. Since the TS rails would already be installed, would we just be buying the rack without the tonneau cover brackets then?
2) How do you feel about not being able to open the tonneau cover if the rack is on? That's a big downside to me for basically every rack I've looked at since the tri-fold can't fit between the slanted in racks. I'd be ok with this for just installing two cross bars for transporting kayaks, but for RTT scenario/overlanding, the tent wouldn't be coming off so we'd be stuck not really being able to access what's in the bed. Have you been able to come up with any solution to this?

cshoem286

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator SportS Max Tow (Custom Order)
Occupation
IT Architect
1) I also love the look of the Max Modular rack. Since the TS rails would already be installed, would we just be buying the rack without the tonneau cover brackets then?
From what I have read and seen .... the MAX requires the brackets as it does not work with the t-rails on the Elevate system (note - still waiting on final confirmation that the Yakima rack will work, but I cannot see why not and the back is Rhino)

2) How do you feel about not being able to open the tonneau cover if the rack is on? That's a big downside to me for basically every rack I've looked at since the tri-fold can't fit between the slanted in racks. I'd be ok with this for just installing two cross bars for transporting kayaks, but for RTT scenario/overlanding, the tent wouldn't be coming off so we'd be stuck not really being able to access what's in the bed. Have you been able to come up with any solution to this?
You will still be able to pop the rear of the tonneau at an angle, but yes not full upright access. I have looked at a truck bed sliding drawer for access (
Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 1604855897458
) but you lose 3" of already precious height. I am open to the idea of a modular focus, meaning one setup or the other, but still want a clean look not a sharp bracket exposed 24/7 and I do not want to be installing/uninstalling (this is what makes the Yakima so nice).

The more I look the more frustrated I become .... Created a 4th scenario ... DITCH the MOPAR Tri-Fold and have to bite the bullet on a Diamond Back. This allows in basic excursion mode, access to the front/back of the bed (so now I can molle & fridge the bed permanent) and although I still lose the access when the RTT is installed (typically about mid-height) I leverage more bed then in any other scenario and always have a clean look.

Still looking but this is where I am at currently! (4 options in play, send me a pm if you want the list)

--- Chris

1604855891079.png

LivetoRide

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk, JT, 4x4 Sprinter, R32
Occupation
Sales leader- Rocky Mountain Bicyles
From what I have read and seen .... the MAX requires the brackets as it does not work with the t-rails on the Elevate system (note - still waiting on final confirmation that the Yakima rack will work, but I cannot see why not and the back is Rhino)

You will still be able to pop the rear of the tonneau at an angle, but yes not full upright access. I have looked at a truck bed sliding drawer for access (
Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 1604855891079
) but you lose 3" of already precious height. I am open to the idea of a modular focus, meaning one setup or the other, but still want a clean look not a sharp bracket exposed 24/7 and I do not want to be installing/uninstalling (this is what makes the Yakima so nice).

The more I look the more frustrated I become .... Created a 4th scenario ... DITCH the MOPAR Tri-Fold and have to bite the bullet on a Diamond Back. This allows in basic excursion mode, access to the front/back of the bed (so now I can molle & fridge the bed permanent) and although I still lose the access when the RTT is installed (typically about mid-height) I leverage more bed then in any other scenario and always have a clean look.

Still looking but this is where I am at currently! (4 options in play, send me a pm if you want the list)

--- Chris

Jeep Gladiator Bed cover with rack 1604855891079
Sponsored