First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
State Farm Agent
What sort of attachment are you using on your Yakima rack for the awning?
I used the awning brackets that came with it and just had two pieces of flat bar stock (steel) about 14" long cut to raise it up to clear the door. I'll try to get a better pick of it.
Sponsored

Hristo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTM, 19 Subaru Outback, 05 LJ
I used the awning brackets that came with it and just had two pieces of flat bar stock (steel) about 14" long cut to raise it up to clear the door. I'll try to get a better pick of it.
Ah okay great thanks. I'm undecided between the outpost and overhaul. I'd prefer to have the compact outpost but an awning at proper height was also a consideration. Pics would be appreciated.

Browning

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
State Farm Agent
Jeep Gladiator Bed Rack and Roof Top Tents ..., (2)

Not the best pic but you can see that I just used some flat steel bar and drilled holes in it to get the awning up to clear the door (and my head). Bolted that to the original mounts on the crossbars and then just to the back of the awning using factory bolts. very simple fix. Just used pretty thick (prob 3/8-1/2" thick bar so it wouldn't bend)

Browning

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
State Farm Agent
btw, I much prefer the lower rack ( I have both and even at its lowest setting the taller rack is too tall for my taste.) I only use the tall one when Im carrying a raft/kayak above my cab.

Sponsored

MER21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I love my KB Voodoo PRO-X Crossbars. They only sit 6" high which keeps my tent pretty much at cab height. The bars are super strong. They're made from extruded aluminum and will hold up to 800lbs (not that I would ever come close to that but it's nice for piece of mind)

https://www.kbvoodoo.com/all-prox-crossbars/prox-crossbars-jeep-gladiator
You also can beat the price:
$535 for the pair
Free Shipping

Hristo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTM, 19 Subaru Outback, 05 LJ
I appreciate the pics! In the end I found a clamshell style RTT I really wanted so I ended up going with the overhaul to get it over the cab. Fortunately the RTT profile is only 6" so it's still quite streamlined.

domingjm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S, Diesel
We have a Datin Fab bed rack with a Softtopper underneath that we've used for the last year and a 1st Gen Smittybilt RTT that we've used for the last four years. It has been a great combination overall. The only downside is accessing the front of the bed is difficult since there is very limited openings on the sides. It's a minor issue that I may address later on but for now it works great.
Jeep Gladiator Bed Rack and Roof Top Tents gatraverse20212 (3)
20211024_085637 by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

20210721_193307 by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

20210719_202649 by Wayne Larson, on Flickr
I have an Agri-Cover soft bed cap....debating which rack to put over it, Datin or XTR1 from Xtrusion. How has this worked for you?

G0to60

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon, Wrangler Rubicon, Corrado, GTI
I have an Agri-Cover soft bed cap....debating which rack to put over it, Datin or XTR1 from Xtrusion. How has this worked for you?
It's been totally fine. The finish has held up well and I've had zero issues with it overall.

Sponsored

AlpineChip

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Yakima Overhaul rack on top of Diamondback cover. Not everyone's cup of tea for the bed access but, works well for me.
Jeep Gladiator Bed Rack and Roof Top Tents IMG_1517
Jeep Gladiator Bed Rack and Roof Top Tents IMG_1791.JPG

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Upgraded to a Thule Tepui Basin. I guess everything is long on a 5' bed. We wanted a hardtop RTT for rain and possible snow protection (happened Memorial Day '22 in Yellowstone).

I had to get some uni-strut to lift the tent up enough to move it forward. I'd prefer another inch of lift to move it more forward. I have a JCR half-rack on the roof that houses the solar panel, hence the additional height needs.

Also...

Will tent manufacturers STOP with putting latches/hooks/zippers in the middle of the damn tent? Not everyone has the wingspan to undo those when the RTT is mounted. I have to fold down the seat and stand up to reach. I might have better access going through the Sunrider, but that's a poor solution.

If anyone is wondering, we got tired of setting up the Tepui Autana 3. Dealing with the cover, the straps, unfolding and folding everything up, trying to stuff it in the cover... It's difficult now, and we plan on putting 37s and a lift on it. We have the annex and never once put it on.
Sponsored