Best Combo Rock Slider Rail and Step

Biscodave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gator bone stock
Thanks for your help and the suggestion. So far that's 2 endorsements for ACE and 1 for RockHard.
I used Ace on my jku from the first year I Bought it to last week (7 years later) Used to run blacks and blue trails 3-4 times a year and they held up fantastic. Slight rusting from all the abuse but nothing to be worried about.

444A1DB6-10E7-45CB-8274-B7FCA5AACE37.jpeg
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You won't regret Rockhard products, I've had their rock rails on my LJ since week one (15 years) now. ;) really great after some A## H### slams their door in to one.... I had some one do that right after I got them. The clown did it intentionally. Best part he didn't notice I was setting in seat and he bent the edge of his door until he did it.

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
Last edited:

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I chose Rock Hard angled up and am very happy with them:
*quality, design, welds, powder coat are all excellent
*attaches to all sensible places on the Jeep--4 areas of pinch weld with two spots at each, 4 tub mounts, 3 body mounts.
*0.120" wall tubing, not thin stuff like exhaust pipe that would collapse easily
*reasonable weight with economical design that adds weight only where needed for best performance. Like having another passenger, and not a big one at that!
*protection from door bangers. Shortly after getting my 2017 Recon, some heaved herself out of her car, banging her driver's door TWICE into my rock rail! Taught me that rocks are not the only problem, rock heads too.

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
I had Ace Engineering sliders on my JKU. When I moved to a JT, I bought a set for it. They work great as steps, sliders, and can be jack points in a pinch. They also fir over the Rubicon rails if you have (or can get) a set; no pinch seam.

My only complaint is the driver side slider on my JT has a little rattle where isn't not fitting exactly right (after torquing to spec). I'm gonna have to pull it off at some point and see if there's a defect on the slider or mount point that needs grinding.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Gah, I thought I had made a decision, and now I'm unsure again. I had Ace on my JKUR for seven years, and they worked great. I abused the hell out of them on many rocks, even using them as a pivot point to turn. The surface damage was obvious, but no bending or real damage. I'd sand and spray paint them when I got tired of seeing the scratches.

But I like the points made about removing the stock rails and still having the seam covered.

ChipFernandez

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 97 Harley-Davidson Fatboy, 2019 Coleman BT200X
Anyone have experience with the Mopar Ones with a step built in?

The JCR ones look nice too but I'm reluctant to put so many holes in the body side.

It seems that there are a couple of different tube style configurations. I'd like to see more basic solid step full length steps or some that have a slightly kicked out step in the back like you see on some of the toyotas..

alM

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
The Rock Hard sliders attach to both the body and the frame. That might be the dumbest thing I've seen today, but the day is young. They are out, and I would recommend that nobody use these for any real wheeling. Well, really, never use them at all.

There's a reason the body is mounted in huge cushion posts on this thing.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The Rock Hard Patriot sliders do not attach to the frame, just the body mounts, tub, and pinch welds.
Here is a video from them on the installation, showing the attachment points clearly:

Sponsored

Biscodave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gator bone stock
Gah, I thought I had made a decision, and now I'm unsure again. I had Ace on my JKUR for seven years, and they worked great. I abused the hell out of them on many rocks, even using them as a pivot point to turn. The surface damage was obvious, but no bending or real damage. I'd sand and spray paint them when I got tired of seeing the scratches.

But I like the points made about removing the stock rails and still having the seam covered.
Ace will work with the stock rubi rails to cover that seam. I’m going to install both because I agree I don’t like having that seam exposed. Like it was on my jku

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
This post really struck me the wrong way... (maybe I'm just getting ornery due to 'quarantine')

The Rock Hard sliders attach to both the body and the frame. That might be the dumbest thing I've seen today, but the day is young.
A 'bash' with no supporting evidence?

They are out, and I would recommend that nobody use these for any real wheeling. Well, really, never use them at all.
A recommendation to avoid a product with no reason?

There's a reason the body is mounted in huge cushion posts on this thing.
"There's a reason"?

Please educate rather than bash. If you are willing to share your knowledge, I'm happy to learn. Here's what I know (or at least what I think I know).

The ACE & RockHard sliders both attach using the bolts that secure the body to the frame "body-mount bolts" ... running through the frame to the body. While they are sometimes referenced as 'body bolts', they secure things to the frame. (fyi @whiteglad ... see 7:44 of the video you posted.) The RockHard sliders also attach directly to the body with additional bolts.

While I know there are some form of rubber spacers between the frame & body to limit frame vibrations felt in the cab, they do not allow a great deal of body movement independent of frame movement. If I'm wrong, enlighten me.

Some manufacturers of exo racks for the Wrangler only had their rack mounted to the body, claiming that exterior fixtures shouldn't connect the frame to the body. I get the concept, but I've seen no real life report, lab-style test, or demonstration showing that this is a problem. Other companies making exo racks used attachment points on the frame as well as the body with no known issues. So, I'm not convinced the dual-attachments are problematic.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
So, I'm not convinced the dual-attachments are problematic.
I am. There are options out there for both of us. I've seen flexed-out Jeeps crack a tub, without anything attached to them. I saw it in person, not someone's story. So they clearly do flex a lot. How much worse would it be if you tried to connect a LONG section of frame and body. I think it's really dumb, and only works for mall crawlers.

OP
OP
CrayonPonyFish
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Sonderware Founder
I am. There are options out there for both of us. I've seen flexed-out Jeeps crack a tub, without anything attached to them. I saw it in person, not someone's story. So they clearly do flex a lot. How much worse would it be if you tried to connect a LONG section of frame and body. I think it's really dumb, and only works for mall crawlers.
Greatly appreciate the sharing of your experiences and knowledge. Unfortunately, for better or worse....
I had to cancel my Rock Hard order cause it was going to be 8+ weeks to create and plus cross-border shipping concerns with COVID-19.

So I now have more time to review and confirm the best choice.

Hey SwampNut,
Please tell us your recommendations for the Best Slider & Step Combo. Also your thoughts on the LOD Design Slider and Step Combo below.

#[Banned Site] did the below install video. It's currently being designed for the Gladiator.

Thanks,
Brian

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Geek
That is a straight frame mount, and looks solid. It mounts very much like the Ace rails did on my JK. They look solid. I personally don't like the look of their design, but that's just my own preference. I think they are solid and wouldn't hesitate to use them if you like the look.

Also, I want to be clear that there's nothing wrong with mall crawlers, or people who only do light trails, and can use the Rock Hard sliders. If you plan to really flex your Jeep, I think connecting the body and frame is bad.
Sponsored