First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
Occupation
Firearms Instructor
Sport max tow or Willys. Both have LSD (trac-lock). They are far superior to either open rear sport (non-tow, non-willys) or selectable (open or locked) rear diff on the Mojave & Rubicon. And forget front locker - that will get you killed in packed snow or ice.

The correct answer to the OP is a model with the limited slip (willys or max-tow sport)
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but who here has used the Hakkapeliitta lt3 studded on their Gladiators? Just interested in feedback including on road tire pressure settings.
I looked at those, but didn’t want a studded tire. The guy at Discount Tire said they’re a pretty good tire with studs, but without studs there are better options. I ended up with a set of Blizzaks.

Kevin

Wyofuy069

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I have used Dm-V1 and DM-V2 blizzards on my last F-150. Also had at the time Hakkapeliitta 7 studded tires on my Q7. The F-150 even with a locking rear diff was terrible in deeper snow while the Audi never really got stuck. The Blizzaks were comparable on ice, but wore down much faster. I have tried many tires over the years and Hakka’s have always been the best. I haven’t tried the LT3 yet and wondering if is comparable to the rest of their line. The studs are going to be a little louder on the Jeep I’m sure, but the 60 mph crosswinds and the Alpine sound system will mitigate any of the extra noise.

Sponsored

JDMRN81

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Nurse Practitioner
Had duratracts on my ‘12 JKU with LSD and that thing was a beast in the snow. I put on Toyo AT3’s on my wife’s ‘18 JGG and it sucks in the snow. The stock all season tires did better than the Toyo’s.

Overall I agree with getting AT’s or hybrid tires.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll be using my JT a lot in the snow. Would a certain model lend itself to be more capable in the snow ?
Clearly the Rubicon, with front and rear lockers.

But this ignores a less obvious fact.
A base Gladiator with a set of real. (I mean REAL. Not the AT tires that happen to have a snow rating) snow tires like the Hakkapeliitta LT 3 will destroy a Rubicon in the snow.

Snow is ALL about the tires. And the brake based traction control will get a base out of any on road situation that lockers will get it out of, just not with the same smoothness and control.

In my life I've had cars that should be terrible in the snow, that were great on snows (Mazda Miata - it was a blast on dedicated snows, like a 4 wheel motocrosser).

I've had cars that should be good in the snow (Subaru STi) that was TERRIFYING on its stock summer tires in the snow, but unstoppable on 4 snows.

My wife's AWD volvo wagon with 4 Michelin snow tires lets me pass all kinds of trucks and jeeps driving around in the winter in NH.

Though of course, the ultimate snow vehicle would be something like a Rubicon with a set of Hakkapeliitta LT 3 snows on it.

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Not an expert on Winter Tires in any sense but got caught in a huge blizzard up along the AZ high country last winter and between my Nitto 37, 4HI and good driving, didn't have a problem when others with CUVs and SUVs were pulled over to the side of the road.

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Lockers will get you in trouble on the road in the snow. The only time they will help you is if you need help getting out of the ditch that you slid into. They also can help, at times, on mountain snow runs atop many feet of snow. Locked axles on side hills can make you slide towards the down hill side.
It's all about the tires.

Knightindullarmor

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
Occupation
Firearms Instructor
The best light snow (0.5 to 4 inches) tires that I have used are Firestone Destination AT. They were way better than BFG AT, BFG MT, Michelin AT, BFG Long Trail, Michelin LTX, Goodyear LT , and many other brands that I used in the past. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Firestone MT2 that came stock on my Willys do in the snow.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
no doubt it would be an all Wheel Drive V8
Sponsored