Sponsored

Bestop SunRider for Hardtop - How Noisy?

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I'm considering taking advantage of the BesTop 10% off sale and ordering a new twill SunRider, but after reading THIS article where Ezra Dyer says "at 70 mph with the top open, the interior was louder than a low-altitude flyby from an F-16 " I'm a wondering if I should go for it or not given that about a third of my 80-mile round trip commute is on the interstate at 75-80 MPH. The rest of it is on a 55-mph 2-lane highway though... and of course there would be plenty of time when I'm not commuting when I'd be able to enjoy it.
  • Is the wind noise louder with an open Sunrider than with the freedom panels off? ...because I don't think that's too bad.
  • How is the noise with the Sunrider open at say 60 MPH?
  • Is the noise with the SunRider CLOSED much (any?) louder than with the freedom panels on?
Sponsored

Jcsii

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR / TJ / CJ5 / MB
Occupation
Elec Eng
Not exactly an answer but....
It will be loud enough you can't use the speaker phone but my AirPods pro work fine for calls.
I have a sun screen and crack the rear windows. Works fine for me at 70ish.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Get it.

Yes, it's noisy. But it's so much more convenient than the freedom panels.

Worst case is you take it off and sell it to someone who wants it.

Jimko71

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
I can tell you it is the same noise level closed as it would be with the Freedom Panels on. I have not driven with my Sunrider open at 60-70MPH so I can't answer that, but I am sure it would be noisy.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm considering taking advantage of the BesTop 10% off sale and ordering a new twill SunRider, but after reading THIS article where Ezra Dyer says "at 70 mph with the top open, the interior was louder than a low-altitude flyby from an F-16 " I'm a wondering if I should go for it or not given that about a third of my 80-mile round trip commute is on the interstate at 75-80 MPH. The rest of it is on a 55-mph 2-lane highway though... and of course there would be plenty of time when I'm not commuting when I'd be able to enjoy it.
  • Is the wind noise louder with an open Sunrider than with the freedom panels off? ...because I don't think that's too bad.
  • How is the noise with the Sunrider open at say 60 MPH?
  • Is the noise with the SunRider CLOSED much (any?) louder than with the freedom panels on?
There's so much misinformation in both of those articles I wouldn't trust that source once bit.

Sponsored

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
I had a sunrider on for over a year and in all instances (except rain) it was much quieter than the freedom panels. When opened it’s no louder than having the freedom panels off. Only real difference on is if it’s windy or you get around semis you’ll hear the sunrider bow up due to the change in pressure. But otherwise, of all the things I did to my JT, the sunrider was the one I enjoyed the most.

IMG_4994.jpeg

66274169778__B16E8E8B-4550-4CD1-B41D-62E03E44AE12.jpeg

geneinhouston

First Name
gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys Ed. in PitchBlack
Occupation
Photographer/Travel Manager/Blue October promotions (best friends band!)
as some have said, but i will say it again, the convenience and just plain fun of having a @Bestop Sunrider is sooooooooo worth it... it really truly is.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I can tell you it is the same noise level closed as it would be with the Freedom Panels on. I have not driven with my Sunrider open at 60-70MPH so I can't answer that, but I am sure it would be noisy.
I tried catching up w/ a white JT on I90 last summer and was approaching triple digits with the Sunrider closed. It was quite noisy.

We've hit 70+ regularly with it open and it's just as loud as if you drove with the doors off or windows down.

VolInGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator Overland
Jeeps are noisy. With the Sunrider closed, I think it’s slightly louder than with the freedom panels on. With it open, the only difference I noticed is some slight buffeting when it was new. The more I used it, that decreased, I’m guessing just the way it folded back when new. Again, just a guess. Bottom line, best mod you can make and you will use it more in a few months than you would the freedom panels in the life of the vehicle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Raven65

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps are noisy. With the Sunrider closed, I think it’s slightly louder than with the freedom panels on. With it open, the only difference I noticed is some slight buffeting when it was new. The more I used it, that decreased, I’m guessing just the way it folded back when new. Again, just a guess. Bottom line, best mod you can make and you will use it more in a few months than you would the freedom panels in the life of the vehicle.
I know that last sentence is a fact. There have been several nice days already where I’ve come out after work and thought about taking the freedom panels off to drive home in open air, but decided not to because I was ready to GO. I KNOW I would have flipped the SunRider open.

I commuted in a second-gen Miata for three years and loved every minute of it - so I’m no stranger to a rough, noisy ride. Top-down on the interstate was just fine. The JT is a freaking limo compared to that. On the other hand, my last vehicle was a 2012 C6 Corvette Grand Sport coupe - and when I drove at highway speeds with the targa roof panel off, it was almost unbearable. The buffeting and noise from the wind catching the targa bar was awful. I had to use ear plugs if the drive was any longer than 20 minutes or so. If the Sun Rider was anything like that (and it sounds like it definitely isn’t) then I’d pass. I’ve driven at highway speeds with the Freedom panels off & windows down - and while it’s far from “quiet” (not the point), I wouldn’t want to do it all day. At least with the SunRider, if you get tired of it, it only takes a few seconds to close it.

Anyway… thanks for all the responses. I’m sold! I think I’ll go place my order. I can’t seem to stop spending money on this thing. 🤣 but as my brother says “It’s only dirty paper.”

OP
OP
Raven65

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order placed! Even better… they had emailed me a code for an instant 10% off… so it came off the top immediately rather than their current promo of paying full price and then getting 10% cash back later.

Robtco99

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 wrangler, 01 cherokee
The sunrider is slightly louder closed than the freedom panels. I just swapped my Sunrider on a few days ago. Having the rear window open helps a lot with air flow and wind noise. Buying one is a no brainer you can open it in seconds without leaving the driver's seat

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
I'm curious about how the Sunrider would hold up going through automatic car washes. That is really my only concern about it, since that's is the only way my Gladiator gets washed.
Sponsored