Sponsored

Bestop teaser concept: folding soft cover / shell / topper for Gladiator bed

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Hey guys,

Here are some teaser concepts from one of our product designers. What do you think?

CassieAtBestop

JT ST4T one REAL down stack.jpg

JT ST4T one REAL.jpg
That's cool!
Sponsored

Xk2JT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Highway laborer
Its nice no third brake light is necessary as Jeep put it on the tailgate.

I’d love to see a soft topper that when front window is removed and rear window of soft top is removed the two would zip together creating a seal and full pass thru.

I’d also like to see different zip in options whether window, screen, or cargo netting to keep dogs or other cargo in but plenty of ventilation.

Looks great and thanks for asking for input

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Its nice no third brake light is necessary as Jeep put it on the tailgate.

I’d love to see a soft topper that when front window is removed and rear window of soft top is removed the two would zip together creating a seal and full pass thru.

I’d also like to see different zip in options whether window, screen, or cargo netting to keep dogs or other cargo in but plenty of ventilation.

Looks great and thanks for asking for input
I would also like to see a pass through option as described above!

I don’t like that the top folds down because when the sides are off you see all the hoops that hold the top, and also I imagine it takes a lot of the trunk space when folded down.

The top and sides would also need to stretch tighter and not be so loose.

I much rather see a simple metal frame design with a soft top and sides that are removable! Maybe even the frame itself is easily removable.

So you could have the following configurations, easily interchangeable:
1) Nothing (no frame, no top, no sides)
2) Frame only (rectangle, assemble)
3) Frame with top on only (no sides)
4) Frame with top and sides on
5) Frame with top and sides and pass-through to cab (for better rear visibility and ability to reach over into bed and grab something)

Also I kinda like when the bed roofline is a little higher than the cab roofline, but if there isn’t enough support for it then I understand.

This Gladiator would also have to have HALF DOORS. If Jeep doesn’t make them it would be awesome if Bestop offers a high quality half door solution for daily use (with door latches of same height, mirrors, thick doorsJ

I would definitely be getting a soft cover of some sort for the bed

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
That is correct, same product, one is folded.

CassieAtBestop
would like to see it completely folded. or is the 1st picture completely folded?

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
That is correct, same product, one is folded.

CassieAtBestop
would like to see it completely folded. or is the 1st picture completely folded?

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I'd much rather have a non-foldable, easily removable cover....with side windows for visibility.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
The side and back panels classically zip off like the JK soft tops (unless they're updated to the same slide format as the JL's) and have the same lower plastic lip to make it taut.

CassieAtBestop,

Any chance we will be able to order it with mesh panels instead of solid?
There will be a mesh panel as an additional part. The side definitely roll up.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Did anyone confirm that the truck bed topper will be available in both top fabrics? If it will only be available in one, it will sway my decision between standard and premium.

Sponsored

Xk2JT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway laborer
What I’d really like is bed roll bars that are same size and shape and match the look of bars on the cab that mount to stake pockets or bed somehow. Then a fabric matching cover that just fits tight over those that can easily be rolled up with no frames, no nothing. Then gear mounts to inside of those bars to not interfere with cover rather than outside like most overland/ off road bed racks

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
What I’d really like is bed roll bars that are same size and shape and match the look of bars on the cab that mount to stake pockets or bed somehow. Then a fabric matching cover that just fits tight over those that can easily be rolled up with no frames, no nothing. Then gear mounts to inside of those bars to not interfere with cover rather than outside like most overland/ off road bed racks
That could be done by a custom fabricator, but will be expensive.

Xk2JT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway laborer
Could be done by Bestop. All of those moving pieces to fold this soft topper are not cheap either. Replace that folding frame with solid mounted bars. Use same cover just roll it up. Otherwise yes I will custom fab bars then probably still use their soft topper

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Could be done by Bestop. All of those moving pieces to fold this soft topper are not cheap either. Replace that folding frame with solid mounted bars. Use same cover just roll it up. Otherwise yes I will custom fab bars then probably still use their soft topper
It would be a reasonable option to pursue. Use A frame consisting of a front hoop, side bars and a removable rear bar. Use the same front and side rails to seal it. It could use the same rear window.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
So quite a few people rather have a fixed system rather than a foldable one, including me. As long as everything is removable.
Sponsored