Sponsored

Bestop teaser concept: folding soft cover / shell / topper for Gladiator bed

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Anyyyy updates at all? I need one that works with the decked system....
Sponsored

SoCalGlad

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Race Driving Instructor +
Here is my Softopper on my 04 Nissan Titan that I installed around 06 and it still looks as good today (photo) as it did when I first installed. I now have one on my Gladiator and love it especially with the addition of the BedRug and planning to purchase the add on for camping in it. Hope this helps.

https://www.softopper.com

Jeep Gladiator Bestop teaser concept: folding soft cover / shell / topper for Gladiator bed Ima

Jeep Gladiator Bestop teaser concept: folding soft cover / shell / topper for Gladiator bed F8606F47-4857-45BA-8DEF-B4EA7BCF7471_1_201_a

Jeep Gladiator Bestop teaser concept: folding soft cover / shell / topper for Gladiator bed 7D3B20ED-6082-4DEA-9107-348DE6817AB2

Jeep Gladiator Bestop teaser concept: folding soft cover / shell / topper for Gladiator bed 5C6E38BC-4459-470A-9045-215EB0DFC4A0

Jeep Gladiator Bestop teaser concept: folding soft cover / shell / topper for Gladiator bed EC3FAEC3-71F1-44D2-887D-FDBC92B0599E

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Unfortunately it does not work with the decked system. I’m hoping @Bestop has a solution with their product.

bobs

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV Brute
I hope you will keep the concept’s black structure/framing to better match the gladiator soft top, apposed to softoppers silver/aluminum. Looking forward to order one.
Assuming the Gladiator version will be similar to the Supertop 2 they do for Tacomas I'm with you. Lots to like over Softopper (no silver, doesn't fold inside the bed, doesn't look ridiculous without windows). Patiently waiting and looking forward to Bestop's version.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Question, since it has not been mentioned here.

Bestop acquired Softopper June of last year.

Is Bestop going to continue with development on the Supertop 2 for the Gladiator since they already have a developed soft top on the market?

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Question, since it has not been mentioned here.

Bestop acquired Softopper June of last year.

Is Bestop going to continue with development on the Supertop 2 for the Gladiator since they already have a developed soft top on the market?
I can't speak to that, but can at least note that Bestop bought Softopper because they kept trying to do toppers and violating a patent. I presume now that they own the Softopper patent then they can start to expand on it.

Of course that's all from some unofficial source and can only be trusted as far as the Internet can be trusted for anything.

My hope is that there will be a Twill version, with windows (that can be blacked out) and an update to the tent extension so that it's available in something other than blue. I'd also like to see an official Bestop rack/frame that can go over it for hauling a basket or other stuff.

What I REALLY want is a Bestop/Softopper that has an exoskeleton but still has an easy way to collapse the soft top and make room for tall things in the back periodically.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bestop

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Senior Product Designer
I was ready to pull the trigger on the softopper, but i too will be waiting to see what bestop comes out with.

One thought for the bestop design team, it would be great to not have to have the additional bar on top of the bed walls...have it either work with the mopar bed rails, or for those that dont have the rail system, include alternate bars that could mount where the rail system would be...i realize on the softopper those bars have snap points to keep the side walls attached, but maybe theres a more elegant way to accomplish the same thing?

m(a)ce

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR (AEV kit); Taco w/AluCab Canopy Camper
Would love to see 2 options in addition to some of the ideas above:

-an optional rear panel that converts into an awning to cover tailgate area for cooking while camping (or tailgating). not huge but some coverage.

-a tent conversion option that’s quick/easy to install when the tailgate is down and stows into a relatively small package.

Any timeline for release?

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Would love to see 2 options in addition to some of the ideas above:

-an optional rear panel that converts into an awning to cover tailgate area for cooking while camping (or tailgating). not huge but some coverage.

-a tent conversion option that’s quick/easy to install when the tailgate is down and stows into a relatively small package.

Any timeline for release?
Softopper has a tent for their soft top, but no canopy that extends .

Sponsored

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
@Bestop , If this is still a functional wishlist of customer needs, one thing I'd really like to see is the tailgate flap secured down with the same green plastic pop-into-track system the soft back window on the JT has, rather than stick-on velcro. It may be a more invasive install, but if the top cap of the tailgate could be replaced with one housing the track, or one added in a clean fashion, I'd be willing to spend the extra $$$.
Basically, PLEASE no zippers or velcro!

m(a)ce

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Softopper has a tent for their soft top, but no canopy that extends .
Yup -I’ve seen it and it looks pretty sad haha

I think there could be a market for something fast & functional. RTTs have changed expectations and something that deploys quickly like they do or like an OZ Tent would do well especially if it’s reasonably priced.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Yup -I’ve seen it and it looks pretty sad haha

I think there could be a market for something fast & functional. RTTs have changed expectations and something that deploys quickly like they do or like an OZ Tent would do well especially if it’s reasonably priced.
It's definitely an opportunity for innovation.

m(a)ce

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)