Bilstein 5100 question

Vice

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
This is an embarrassing question, but I want to verify I have it correct. Not sure trim matters but sport s max tow. I installed 5100's yesterday , I noticed the stock shocks the reservoir was on the bottom for the rear. So I installed the rear shocks same as stock. After I mounted the rears I noticed the bilstein stickers are upside down, which makes me think that the resvoir should be at the top. The fronts are at the top....
Sponsored

JsnJcksn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Yes, it is correct per the instructions when I installed mine. The reservoir is down on the rear shocks.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Bilstein says mount them so you can read the labels. So can up.

But it really doesn’t matter. They’re a gas shock so you can run them in either direction.

JsnJcksn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Bilstein says mount them so you can read the labels. So can up.

But it really doesn’t matter. They’re a gas shock so you can run them in either direction.
I have the 1.5 - 2.5 lift model. The included directions had reservoir down for the rear shocks. Maybe stock length is different, but that was the guidance provided.

OP
OP

Vice

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
These are the same 1.5 to 2.5 for rear. The rears did not come directions, but the fronts did.

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Personally I would mount resivoir up- to try and allow gravity to aid in keeping debris away from the rubber seal and shock shaft….
Just my 0.02 👍🏼🍺

JsnJcksn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
These are the same 1.5 to 2.5 for rear. The rears did not come directions, but the fronts did.
Mine had installation directions that went against my judgment. I‘ll see if I can find them.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
With a monotube/resi IFP shock, you can mount either way and it wont matter from a function standpoint. The OEM emulsion (Also Rancho, Monroe, RockSport, and other cheap shocks) need to be mounted body down or the base valves will be dry when the oil runs to the bottom (technically the top if the shock is upside down) rendering them mostly useless.

On the plus side, mounting body up reduces unsprung mass even if it is only a few oz difference. On the negative side, the shaft is in direct line to get pounded by debris from the front tires.

Either is fine in this case, but somebody will probably tell you you did it wrong if the stickers are upside down.

Yellow1098

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Silver Sport S, 77 trans am, Ducati 1098
I mounted mine with the stickers facing right side up on front and rear ……..which is reservoir on the bottom in the front and on the top in the rear……if I knew it didn’t matter I would probably switch the front cause I’d rather see the reservoir in the wheel well than the shaft
Sponsored