Sponsored

Shocks- Mojave vs Bilstein 5100 vs Bilstein 5160?

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
I have a 21 JTRD with a 2" AEV spacer lift. The height is perfect and I do like the soft Rubicon springs. I want to upgrade the shocks tho to help control some unwanted body motion on what my local government calls "roads". I know I can't turn this thing into a Raptor, but I'm looking at my options. Who has an opinion/experience with any comparables of the stock Mojave vs Bilstein 5100 vs 5160?
Sponsored

same_O_G

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave; 2008 JKU (RIP)
I had Bilstein 5100s on my JKU. I can comfortably coast over terrain at 30 mph in my Mojave that used to rattle my teeth at 5 mph in the JK. I know it's not apples to apples, but the remote res shocks make a big difference IMO.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I have a 21 JTRD with a 2" AEV spacer lift. The height is perfect and I do like the soft Rubicon springs. I want to upgrade the shocks tho to help control some unwanted body motion on what my local government calls "roads". I know I can't turn this thing into a Raptor, but I'm looking at my options. Who has an opinion/experience with any comparables of the stock Mojave vs Bilstein 5100 vs 5160?
In my opinion you have two different leagues there… Mojave take offs while OEM are still really good shocks…. I personally don’t think they are worth what factory wants- but I would have no issue shelling out $3k for the 2.5 factory race adjustables and loosing the internal bumps that the Mojave’s have.
So- Mojave take offs would have to be had at a really good deal for me to pick them up. Keep in mind you will need to have them re-valved for the weight of the diesel. 👍🏼

the 5100’s are a throw away shock… look at some of their rebuildable options :) long term will save you money….. and if you aren’t done with your Jeep build- rebuildable shocks means adjustability…. Changing stacks/valving as weight changes.
My .02 🍺

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I don’t have a Mojave, but I have experience with 5100s. Good budget shock for the money. Will usually firm up the ride compared to whatever they’re replacing. I have 5100s on my JT with a Clayton 2.5” lift.

Im not sure I’d replace Mojave shocks with 5100s. Seems like a step backwards.

OP
OP
willhonkforparts

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
I don’t have a Mojave, but I have experience with 5100s. Good budget shock for the money. Will usually firm up the ride compared to whatever they’re replacing. I have 5100s on my JT with a Clayton 2.5” lift.

Im not sure I’d replace Mojave shocks with 5100s. Seems like a step backwards.
Thanks. Just for clarification, I currently have Rubicon shocks which I find very...rolly polly, if you will. I'm considering picking up a set of Mojave take offs vs the Bilsteins (or even a Fox). So, I want a more controlled ride than what I have now without going into "harsh" territory, without spending a shit ton of money. Basically, I to have my cake and eat it too. :)

SLC Rubicon

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Teraflex finally I has the 3.3s in stock for the diesel. I installed mine 3 days ago. They are incredible compared to the stock ones. They may be a lot more than you are looking to spend but the adjustment may be work it if you aren't sure exactly what you want. I am shocked at the range of adjustability they have. I did a test drive last year and waited on backorder for a year.
Sponsored