BioDiesel for your EcoDiesel?

bsteg7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold my JKUR and just got a JTR.
Occupation
Work
I stopped at a Chevron tonight for my first tank of diesel on my brand new JTR. All they had was something called B20 Biodiesel. It stopped me dead in my tracks and I said to my self "wait a minute". Opening my handy dandy owners manual I quickly found B20 is 'okay' but will shorten time between maintenance. I only put in 5 gallons, enough to get home. I wasn't thinking 'green' when I bought a diesel.

Any strong opinions for or against biodiesel?
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
If you start on biodiesel and stay with biodiesel, then just your first maintenance period will be shortened.

You will find that your fuel filter will get full fast when you first start. But after all the "gunk" gets cleaned out of the tank and lines, it's about the same time between filter changes.

I ran biodiesel in my 02 F250 and ran it constantly. I ended up getting a little better mileage out of it. The only problem I had was in winter, it didn't freeze or gel, but it didn't like waking up in the morning.

Now keep in mind, if JEEP says don't use it, then follow that. But if their only reason is shortened periods between maintenance, run it if you want to run it. But don't switch back and forth or your filter will foul faster.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Any strong opinions for or against biodiesel?
Biodiesel is an excellent detergent and lubricant. Research has shown that B2 will outperform all aftermarket fuel additives in terms of lubrication. Lubrication is important for the fuel system, especially your CP4 pump.

Biodiesel will leave your oil dirty, which is why the manufacturer recommends shortened oil change intervals.

Keep in mind that many states mandate biodiesel blends, therefore not every pump is going to advertise it. For example, my state has a B5 minimum requirement, therefore they do not need to advertise B5 at the pump since it's already a requirement.

I'm an advocate for biodiesel, so I think biodiesel blends are good as long as they don't exceed the manufacturer's recommendation.

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I ran B20 anytime I could find it with my old Jeep Liberty that had the VM diesel. But that was before these emissions and $10,000 fuel systems. Today I generally avoid it due to fears of filter plugging and injection pump issues, especially in cold weather.

If I found B2 or maybe B5 I'd still not hesitate to try it out again.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I put biodiesel in my Duramax whenever it was available, never had any issues. I added two-cycle TCW3 outboard oil to the tank to keep the fuel system lubricated.

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 2021 Willys
When I lived in Montreal, there was this little company about 15 minutes out of town who made biodiesel in its small...should I say laboratory? Anyway, they had government grants for research and stuff.

With small mods on my '94 Jetta TD (about 250$ of special hoses installed by this bunch of crazy scientists), I was able to put biodiesel in the car. It literally smelled like poutine when you were following me since that diesel was made out of what small restaurants in the neighborhood were collecting (oils, grease, stuff like that).

But. He clearly told me that biodiesel could be a pain for my engine without the mods. Is that what the manual says by "it's okay"? Personnally, i'd stick to what the manual says as ideal.
Sponsored