Black fender flares instead of body color

Wilhelm 10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Pensioner
Greetings, I ordered my JTRD today. It's granite crystal with premium soft top. I didn't order the body color fender flares, and now I'm concerned I'm going to regret that. I guess I was trying to save a few bucks to make up for paying for the diesel. Does anyone have a granite crystal rubicon with black flares? I've looked and I cannot even find a picture of this combo. What do you all think?
On our JL Rubie, last year my daughter pulled into the garage for the first and took out the rt fender flare/not painted kind. Cost to replace appox $550.00. Not sure of cost of painted one. That being said with the black soft top the matching flares would look nice. If you want to see what one looks like with matching flares, use the Jeep site and search one out on dealer lots. Should be able to find a photo that way.
Sponsored

OP
OP
99ls1tj

99ls1tj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Occupation
machinist
The only real "problem" with black fenders is what happens to them over the course of a few years if they see a lot of sun. They will fade and become something other than black fenders. You can spruce them up, but eventually they will get chalky almost no matter what you do and the product you use to blacken them up will wear off every couple/few weeks. Not a huge deal if you don't mind that but it is something to be aware of.
I have some 303 protectant. I wonder if that will help keep them from fading. I'm going to try it when I get the JT.

OrangeTJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKUS, 05 Dodge 2500 CTD
I have some 303 protectant. I wonder if that will help keep them from fading. I'm going to try it when I get the JT.
It should certainly help, especially if you make applying it part of your normal cleaning routine.

CokreeateJT

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Ray Gray JTR
Went with black fenders since I don't want to deal with rock chips and scratches.
I'm sure i'll also swap to different fenders down the line.

Bantam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I think my truck is a rare one... I ordered it with the color hard top but black fenders for all the reasons listed above. After driving it for a few weeks and seeing all the shit flung on the leading edge of the rear fender, I'm glad I did!
That’s my favorite combo, especially on Hydro Blue 👌🏼

Sponsored

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
I'm glad I went with the black fenders and top. I like the contrast. I've got some pretty good branch scratches on the black fenders. Can you see them?

Jeep Gladiator Black fender flares instead of body color 20210402_065154

awraynor

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I'm glad I went with the black fenders and top. I like the contrast. I've got some pretty good branch scratches on the black fenders. Can you see them?

Jeep Gladiator Black fender flares instead of body color 20210402_065154
My Bright White has matching fenders, I can understand why you would want the contrast.

PeterGriffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
(re)tired...!
YES! I'm gonna use this picture AGAIN!!!

3sJd9qlh.jpg

When I bought my '17 Rubi JKUR it had the body color fenders. Within literally days of ownership I had plenty of Arizona pinstriping and rock chips. Why anyone (at least someone who seriously offroads) would pay extra for the color matched fenders is beyond me, they invariably end up getting trashed. I Raptor lined the grille, fenders, bumpers (along with a front stubby bumper chop), added a hood blackout decal and called it a day. Completely changed the looks of my Jeep. Raptor liner is an awesome and extremely durable product and super easy to do (go search "Raptor liner" on YouTube for starters!). Did the exact thing to my daughter's '12 JK and my old '13 JKUS and my buddy just did his entire Duramax dually which now looks tough and brand new after 15+ years of hard use.

...and before anyone asks I'm going to do the exact same thing to my Gladiator! I just need to wait until it cools off a little.

Deleted member 28696

I realize that this thread is super old but figured I'd show what black body matched fenders look like. I do have a few scratches here and there on them but not noticeable. My original plan was to replace the fenders with a steel fender that's been power coated but It's not high on my list right now. I also like the tire coverage of these fenders.

SM_2021-JTR_Y3A6892.jpg

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

Sponsored

leopardprey

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Martial Arts Teacher /Semi-Retired
Been debating on getting my Sarge Green body colored painted fenders and top lineXd black. Contrast color plus durability. LineX store quotes me $400 to do the fenders, $600 for the top. Maybe do front grill as well.

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
Granite black flares here and no regrets at all. The granite goes great with the black where some other colors I prefer color match. I ceramic coat them monthly with the truck, 2.5 years in and still perfect condition.

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel, 1972 Chevy K5
Occupation
Business Owner
Been debating on getting my Sarge Green body colored painted fenders and top lineXd black. Contrast color plus durability. LineX store quotes me $400 to do the fenders, $600 for the top. Maybe do front grill as well.
Or you could just trade me your SG fenders for my black ones

CampThree

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Mojave, 1993 C1500 Silverado,
Occupation
Retired US Marine
Searching for a used Mojave one of the deal breakers was painted flares and hard top. I like the simplicity of the black flares and top and in your case you save some money out the gate. Sometimes painted flares and hard tops are just too much painted surface and the hard core off roaders can attest to paint damage over time.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Go with black if you plan to do some serious off roading. I have the premium soft top as well, going on 4.5 years. Absolute best decision ever for the JT. To easy. But I don’t use mine as a DD ever. Off roading or pulling my trailer. I’ve worked it like a dog. 48,000 miles no problems.

64C6F6E4-6065-4945-A2AE-D2671305C757.jpeg
Sponsored