Body Color or Black Fender Flares?

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
I love the body-colored flare look because it reminds me of CJ/YJ/TJs. I like black tops for the same reason. But I do agree that they look better on some colors than others.

However, I think the black flares will look better for longer if you take care of them.
Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Hmm, not sure about bed-liner (line-x) on flares/plastic. I would think it would not take a "plyable/bendable" surface very well and will be prone to chipping?
The problem would probably exist in the silicone release agent that is used during the molding of the part itself, causing a problem in getting the "stuff" to stick and stay more than the ductility of the part itself.

ErocksGlad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tahoe
Black for me. By the time they're old enough to fade I'd probably throw on some tube fenders for added toughness/protection

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
i ordered the black fenders since im going to put on the JRC steel fenders anyways why spend the extra money for painted just to take them off

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
For me, it comes down to the body color of the JT. Gator Green looks spectacular with black fenders. However, Hydro Blue and Firecracker Red look best with color matched fenders.

As for paint scratching, just put a clear wrap on them for extra protection.

Sponsored

ColoradoGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Oh, yeah...most places actually offer them as separate pairs, as opposed to a set of 4.
I've seen several that come as a set of 4, which won't help since the rears are different on the Gladiator...

I priced out the parts from Jeep, but I'm not sure if the inner liners from the Sport or Overland will work....
They would probably also have to be changed.. Not sure...

I'm not 100% sure what comes from Jeep? They have 1 part number for the "Fender Flare"..
They do list the flares as NON LED or LED..
I'm guessing no wiring, DRL or Turn signal lights, etc...

I'd like to hear from someone who has made the swap using new Jeep parts...
What they had to buy to complete the swap...

I don't see a lot of people selling their fender flares, even after they have swapped them out for aftermarket flares.
They probably are hanging on to them when it comes time to sell and they want to go back to a more conservative look.. smile.

Thanks for the reply..

Sponsored

willemlock

First Name
Willem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator, 1998 TJ 1947, CJ2-A Willys
Yep I’ve had to push my JT into a few bushes to get a better line over obstacles. I can “back to black” these much easier than trying to buff out these marks on painted fenders in my opinion. However if I got the granite crystal it would have been with body color fenders and roof.

EA6B341F-A86D-4C18-84D1-2C790A141C36.jpeg

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
Black for me. By the time they're old enough to fade I'd probably throw on some tube fenders for added toughness/protection
I did this with my wrangler. They are tough and all my friends love them.

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
The plastic fender flares on Jeeps are disposable. That is a cost saving feature on a vehicle that will squeeze through tight spaces off road. If one gets ripped off or chewed up, oh well, it’s plastic.

My son’s TJ had painted flares. They get chipped as heck after a few years and look like painted plastic that chipped.(like crap) We replaced with black. It can fade, but won’t chip.

jsyn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I like the look of the painted ones, but I won't be getting them due to my personal use case. Out here every car that drives off-road gets what we call "desert pin-striping" from the sharp bushes along the sides of the dirt roads. Here in Vegas I was initially told that black would sun bleach, but that painted ones would stripe with scratches. So, damned if you do, damned if you don't, get what you want. However, eventually I found the off-road Jeep crowd in Las Vegas, who told me that they all get black fenders and Line-X them. They Line-X any and all black plastic on the hood and on the sides of their Jeeps. It looks awesome and in 5 years when it's scratched all to hell they can just have another coat applied.
Sponsored