Sponsored

Blind Spot monitoring and 4.5 lift kit BEWARE

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Maybe where you live drivers are more civil. We see near accidents and brakes slammed on almost daily here and drivers cutting others off to the point of a driver taking to the shoulder to avoid a crash.
When I had my F250 - and it was RED - a woman driving a Hyundai decided she wanted to pass the car in front of her and move into the left lane. The problem was - I was in that left lane. The side of my truck rippled her car bumper to bumper.
In that case those safety things would have saved ME from an idiot who didn't look.
I suspect there's been other times I have been saved by someone else having them.
They exist, I want them on my vehicles and I want them to work. One never knows when you will be dealing with multiple things happening and miss something. Who knows, in a month your ass maybe would have been saved if you had them. But maybe you don't make mistakes. It's NOT about being great or bad drivers, it's about being human.
Someone someday will make a fool move right in front of you, or there'll be something you must avoid FAST and your only option will be a lane change - and you'll miss something.........
I have on many, many occasions needed to react to idiots who don't bother to turn their head when changing lanes. On two occasions I was lucky enough they approached me in a parking lot shortly after to apologize. Both times it was "I'm sorry my car didn't beep to tell me you were there."

Not "I'm sorry I missed you were there" in an admission of human fault, they blamed the fucking car. It took everything in me not to lose my shit in those moments but I just walked away without acknowledgement.

I don't want to detract from OP's post any more but while these systems might prevent a few accidents, they have the downside of creating lazy drivers who neglect basic driving skills and situational awareness. Aside from the fact we give a license to anyone with a pulse who can mostly color within the lines, the addition of systems like this are why the people you describe are multiplying at alarming rates.
Sponsored

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
3” lift and no issues with those sensors. Now the sensors in the bumpers ....different story. New bumper....switched the sensors over and the rear sensors dont pick up anything.

Solution .....park sense turned off.
someone posted that they backed up to a wall and adjusted each sensor individually after changing the bumper.. might give it a try

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have on many, many occasions needed to react to idiots who don't bother to turn their head when changing lanes. On two occasions I was lucky enough they approached me in a parking lot shortly after to apologize. Both times it was "I'm sorry my car didn't beep to tell me you were there."

Not "I'm sorry I missed you were there" in an admission of human fault, they blamed the fucking car. It took everything in me not to lose my shit in those moments but I just walked away without acknowledgement.

I don't want to detract from OP's post any more but while these systems might prevent a few accidents, they have the downside of creating lazy drivers who neglect basic driving skills and situational awareness. Aside from the fact we give a license to anyone with a pulse who can mostly color within the lines, the addition of systems like this are why the people you describe are multiplying at alarming rates.
Agree and disagree.
Studies by universities and insurance organizations show that it actually makes most drivers MORE aware, alert and responsive.
Yes, there are the idiots who think that "it will beep, I don't have to look" and then there's a bicycle over there - and it ain't always going to react to small things or things that don't first pass the tail light area. (vehicles that pull into the lane next to you from another lane may not trigger these things)
Always turn and look if you see nothing in the mirror.
The safety features should only be like a second parachute - not the first.

Back on the studies - people who buy a vehicle that has these systems and the systems are new to them have been the ones found to be a problem. Drivers who have had these systems before or for a while were found to be far safer when driving vehicles that had the systems. It's because they paid better attention for reasons I won't get into here but the studies did give reasons.

So,
if the person buys a vehicle with lane departure, BSM (blind spots matter) and other features for the first time - those are the ones who are likely to say "sorry, my car didn't beep at me! The car failed"
But those who have had these systems for years are actually less likely to be in accidents.
Studies prove it. (universities and insurance industry)

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No, I'm 6'7" and it won't go out far enough at that angle.
My son has similar issues - he's tall, drives with the seat all the way back and the seat back tilted back a ways and has the mirrors all the way out. He had head room issues in Toyota vehicles, but certain Jeeps are fine for him (not all, just some)
The JT mirrors ARE an issue for many tall drivers.

People think everyone else is just like them and the mirrors are great for them so they HAVE TO BE great for everyone else.
It's worse here than in some forums. "mirrors are fine, you must be xxxxx if you can't make them work for you" is the attitude.
Every human body is different, and some who are tall have longer torso than others so the seat isn't as far back, some who are tall a lot of it is in the legs so the seat goes farther back.
Even 6'6" person A isn't necessarily built the same as 6'6" person B.
People need to accept the fact that all bodies are different, seat positions different, and the mirrors are more effective for some than for others.

Haley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 1981 CJ8
Occupation
Landscaping
It's worse here than in some forums. "mirrors are fine, you must be xxxxx if you can't make them work for you" is the attitude.
I see that a lot as well. Argument for the sake of argument. Never see that on the CJ8 forum, but then again we can put our mirrors wherever we like, only the brave bother with a diesel swap, and we love collector vehicles no matter the make.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
and we love collector vehicles no matter the make.
I have my own personal preferences - but appreciate them all.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Nobody claimed to be perfect, but it's apparently a miracle we haven't been murdering each other for the past 90 years with how people act like these are essential. They are there as a last ditch safety measure but under no circumstances should people be relying on technology for something so basic.

If you can't tell where the vehicle is you have no business driving one. Go buy a Civic instead.
I don’t think anyone said they were “essential”. It’s a nice to have enhancement to your overall system which starts with your own sense of your surroundings. It does help. Doesn’t make you less aware unless you resort to relying on it solely which maybe some people do, but probably not most.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think anyone said they were “essential”. It’s a nice to have enhancement to your overall system which starts with your own sense of your surroundings. It does help. Doesn’t make you less aware unless you resort to relying on it solely which maybe some people do, but probably not most.
Studies show that it makes people more aware of their surroundings. They pay more attention and notice things about other vehicles they wouldn't otherwise. People can believe or "think" or assume all they want but scientific studies show it not only doesn't make you less aware, it improves your attention to driving and noticing things.
Sponsored