First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2021 jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Electrician at FCA
Wow, sounds like both engines kicked a rod. It is really weird to have that happen at all, let alone with two trucks at the same shop. Did you have the oil changed at that shop? I'm wondering if they perhaps didn't fill the oil enough or if they used the wrong oil. (But sheesh, pretty much ANY motor oil would prevent that from happening under normal use.)

I'm also wondering if OVER-filling could have caused this. I've heard of dealers putting 6 quarts into Gladiators because they assume they're the same as the Wrangler. Theoretically, too much oil can cause the crankshaft to whip air into the oil. And when oil is full of air, it doesn't lubricate very well.
i agree
Sponsored

OP
OP

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
That's still a large area - from ahead of the differential or from behind the wheel?

I assume that top area is the head and that's the head gasket showing there - so it's the upper part of the block, which I can't see on mine unless I jack it up and crawl way under.

In other words, that doesn't look like any area I can reach under under mine - I'd need to jack it up to even see much of the side of the block.
yep - behind the diff towards the rear, hard for me to see and I have 35's

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
yep - behind the diff towards the rear, hard for me to see and I have 35's
HAHA - no wonder, I'm on stock tires, about 33". No wonder I can't see that area. Yours probably sits an inch higher at least.

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
If I remember correctly. There were some blocks that had a casting issue and the oil galleries had a problem. It could be related.

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
If I remember correctly. There were some blocks that had a casting issue and the oil galleries had a problem. It could be related.
That would only cause an issue if it starved something for oil, so a possibility but low I think

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on the issue. I have worked on engines where flashing from the casting process partially blocked the passages, I have seen cases where a pipe plug screwed in to close the end of the oil passage off after machining was too long and partially plugged a passage.
Oil pressure is volume against a resistance - so if there was a blockage, it could build good pressure, depending on where they SENSE from, and starve things near the end of the run.
If there was a hole, such as a passage too close to the surface and it leaks oil pressure, then the system should sense low pressure and have trouble keeping up.
There was always some who argued that AMC engines had oil starvation issues, that there wasn't enough pressure at the rear, needed a modification, extra oil line, BS like that. Then a guy built an engine for a contest, put it on the dyno, and measured the oil pressure at both ends, full RPM - no difference. So the pressure at the front, the pump area where the sending unit was, was the same as the pressure at the last item in the system.
That means if there's a leak, it will show low pressure or have trouble. If it's blocked, it may not know it.

That brings me back to what I mentioned a week or 4 ago - back in the early 1980s AMC of all companies had a device that the hooked engines to after assembly. It had sensors that screwed into a couple of oil passages and could sense pressure changes smaller than 1 hundredth of a pound of pressure.
It spun the engine without running it. The device, like modern systems do with sensors and the PCM, knew exactly where every moving part was at any given time. It sensed pulses and flow while the engine was turned. If there was too much clearance in a spot, it knew about it. In other words, they could detect engine oiling system issues before the thing even left the plant, before it was even run, and it knew where to look for the issue.
If that little company, broke, starved for cash from being pillaged by Renault, could do that, what about FCA and Jeep today? (I happen to have one of their ignition testing systems although it's in pretty poor shape and missing some parts - I made a trade for it because I thought it was cool)

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Based on some of the personnel I've seen in the oil change bays (Beavis and Butthead in Bay 1, Bill and Ted in Bay 2) I wouldn't be surprised if the technician looked at something upside down and put in "9" quarts instead of "6".

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
After dealing with the semi literate zombies at my service department, I intend to change my own oil ...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's one thing the dealers here do well - oil changes. Correct amount, no issues, refill all other fluids as needed. I can't buy the oil and filter for what they do it for (especially since it's free for 2 years)
After that, I may - but still, I've compared prices of GOOD oil and filters and then taking the oil to disposal, I can't beat it and as long as they are doing a good job (hard to mess up too badly - and there's no lube points these days), I can make a whole lot more money in the time it takes them to do it.

I know a lot has been said about "over-fill" but when you have windage producing foam - you lose oil pressure and it's noticed, especially in modern systems, since air compresses, oil does not.
It would also be really easy to drain the oil and measure how much comes out (minus a small amount for filter, of course)
My bet - not over-fill situation.

I'm sure trained mechanics and engineers will chime in with the correct answer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
That's one thing the dealers here do well - oil changes. Correct amount, no issues, refill all other fluids as needed. I can't buy the oil and filter for what they do it for (especially since it's free for 2 years)
After that, I may - but still, I've compared prices of GOOD oil and filters and then taking the oil to disposal, I can't beat it and as long as they are doing a good job (hard to mess up too badly - and there's no lube points these days), I can make a whole lot more money in the time it takes them to do it.

I know a lot has been said about "over-fill" but when you have windage producing foam - you lose oil pressure and it's noticed, especially in modern systems, since air compresses, oil does not.
It would also be really easy to drain the oil and measure how much comes out (minus a small amount for filter, of course)
My bet - not over-fill situation.

I'm sure trained mechanics and engineers will chime in with the correct answer.
Been using this shop for the last 8 years - they have been very good to date, doubt it was an oil change issue...

ShotCaller

First Name
vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
self employed
Based on some of the personnel I've seen in the oil change bays (Beavis and Butthead in Bay 1, Bill and Ted in Bay 2) I wouldn't be surprised if the technician looked at something upside down and put in "9" quarts instead of "6".
yep...That was my first thought too :)

Cadpat7

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR Hard Rock 2016
Occupation
CDN ARMY
That was the case for the Penstar in late 2011-2012-early 2013. But nothing heard since. And I doubt this is the case here.

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
That was the case for the Penstar in late 2011-2012-early 2013. But nothing heard since. And I doubt this is the case here.
That may have been where I got that from. I remembered reading it somewhere.

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what changes have been done, but this is a GEN II 3.6 and not in millions of vehicles. Does seem isolated.

Bruce
Sponsored