Sponsored

Brand New Gladiator (Sport Manual) - Quality of Life Upgrades?

Marmaduke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 Gladiator
Signed on a new MY23 Gladiator Sport (manual). It has the hard top, tow package, and LSD. Total discount (before title/tax/etc) was ≈23% for those curious.

Just waiting for the recall to be done on the transmission to pick it up(part has been ordered).

I’m a slut for 3 pedals, and this was the only new one I could find anywhere new me. Manual everything will be fun… Even my first vehicle (1990 Dodge Dakota) had automatic locks and windows, lol…. But it will make removing the doors easier…. Actually kind of cool to get back to basics (at least what I tell myself).

Last Jeep I owned was a 1992 Cherokee, but that was a long time ago. I did love that thing and am excited to get back into a Jeep.

All that stated, I would love to hear your guys’s recommendations on upgrades. Really focused on good ROI for everyday livability… The little things that make a big difference (best wireless CarPlay adapter???)

This will be my commuter (average 30 min each way) and then the family vehicle for camping and road trips in bad weather (wife’s minivan will be used for fair weather roadtrips). We have family on the other side of a mountain pass that gets some good snow, so this will be nice to have.

I have three kids, one in a booster and one in a car seat, as well as a medium sized (≈60lb) dog.

I do not plan on doing any hardcore off-roading, but do enjoy dispersed camping, especially in areas that require a little bit of clearance to get to (cost of entry keeping people down). Eventually will get some good all terrain tires and maybe some wheels. Maybe a light bar and winch?

The wife wants to get a small travel trailer. Could this thing actually comfortably tow a ≈3,000lb (dry weight) trailer? I know the manual is rated for less weight (4,900lb), but am thinking that’s transmission rated and not anything else. That stated, would I need to touch brakes or suspension?

I am also stoked to be able to have something to put my dirt bike into again. I moved from where I could ride from my property to an area I cannot. Any thoughts on best ramp to load with? Finally have an excuse to get the oldest a 125cc which is cool. Wife wants a side by side or quads… would two dirt bikes in the bed and a side by side in tow (not a crazy can am) be too much for this?

Really appreciate ya’lls inputs. Feel free to criticize as well if you see an area for improvement. The deal is done, but would love to learn regardless.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I know the manual is rated for less weight (4,900lb), but am thinking that’s transmission rated and not anything else. That stated, would I need to touch brakes or suspension?
It's the weakness of the clutch.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
A pedal commander (throttle controller) to make the truck more "fun" to drive when you so choose to.

A quality tonneau if not included. I just got a Bak Revolver x4s that I recommend.

A roof rack will help with gear allocation for those family trips. Smittybilt has the Defender which you can buy in the JL version for a full roof basket or their JT version which is just the back section so you can remove the Freedom Panels in the front while installed.

This cup holder (most likely to be discounted on Black Friday) has been a great quality of life addition for long drives with the fam and looks OEM. Can never have enough cup holders lol...

https://www.amazon.com/AZUTO-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Gladiator/dp/B0BJ2BKVBM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=F4AVU4DI22CF&keywords=jeep+cup+holder&qid=1700346198&sprefix=jeep+cup+holder,aps,120&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

This hood guard because Jeeps no longer look right without them

https://www.amazon.com/Bushwacker-14093-Black-2018-2019-Wrangler/dp/B07QC8HXMJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=2VFBCVYHINTHM&keywords=jeep+gladiator+bushwacker&qid=1700346314&sprefix=jeep+gladiator+bushwacker,aps,111&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Sumo Springs can help with payload for added weight of dirt bikes and anything else you throw back there.

Here are the Smittybilts (I owned both, the JL version initially but missed not having the front panel access):

Jeep Gladiator Brand New Gladiator (Sport Manual) - Quality of Life Upgrades? IMG_3238

Jeep Gladiator Brand New Gladiator (Sport Manual) - Quality of Life Upgrades? IMG_3239

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
Bestop sunrider and/or alien shade bikini top. DIY door hanger at home, and maybe some Jpegz foot/mirrors. Use the dewalt cordless tools for removing the doors/tops ( carefully of course), and if you have a 3/8 cordless impact you can zip off the swaybar links and tie them up with some box store twisty ties. Once you get some A/T tires, grab a dual head compressor from Napa and diy a 4-flate ( or 2-flate ) air system.

edit : oh, and don’t forget some Christmas lights

Sponsored

OP
OP
Marmaduke

Marmaduke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 Gladiator
It's the weakness of the clutch.
Thank you

A pedal commander (throttle controller) to make the truck more "fun" to drive when you so choose to.

A quality tonneau if not included. I just got a Bak Revolver x4s that I recommend.

A roof rack will help with gear allocation for those family trips. Smittybilt has the Defender which you can buy in the JL version for a full roof basket or their JT version which is just the back section so you can remove the Freedom Panels in the front while installed.

This cup holder (most likely to be discounted on Black Friday) has been a great quality of life addition for long drives with the fam and looks OEM. Can never have enough cup holders lol...

https://www.amazon.com/AZUTO-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Gladiator/dp/B0BJ2BKVBM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=F4AVU4DI22CF&keywords=jeep+cup+holder&qid=1700346198&sprefix=jeep+cup+holder,aps,120&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

This hood guard because Jeeps no longer look right without them

https://www.amazon.com/Bushwacker-14093-Black-2018-2019-Wrangler/dp/B07QC8HXMJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=2VFBCVYHINTHM&keywords=jeep+gladiator+bushwacker&qid=1700346314&sprefix=jeep+gladiator+bushwacker,aps,111&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Sumo Springs can help with payload for added weight of dirt bikes and anything else you throw back there.

Here are the Smittybilts (I owned both, the JL version initially but missed not having the front panel access):

Jeep Gladiator Brand New Gladiator (Sport Manual) - Quality of Life Upgrades? IMG_3239

Hey thank you, especially for the links. The roof basket looks great! Definitely looking into that. I have a WRX right now, and a Giulia before that… so the Wife’s mini van has been the camping vehicle (limiting us on destinations). The roof bag has come in way handy, but the basket actually looks pretty sick and can probably be a mount for a light bar.

Any thoughts on the tonneau cover and dirt bike compatibility? I live in a wet area so that is an attractive option; just want to make sure I can load the bike in. Would be more interested in a folding hard cover than a soft one, especially if lockable (are they?)

Bestop sunrider and/or alien shade bikini top. DIY door hanger at home, and maybe some Jpegz foot/mirrors. Use the dewalt cordless tools for removing the doors/tops ( carefully of course), and if you have a 3/8 cordless impact you can zip off the swaybar links and tie them up with some box store twisty ties. Once you get some A/T tires, grab a dual head compressor from Napa and diy a 4-flate ( or 2-flate ) air system.

edit : oh, and don’t forget some Christmas lights
Are you saying there is a specific door removal tool? If so, I will buy it. Right tool for the job has never done me wrong. I like the call on the compressor too

One in a booster and one in a car seat with a dog? You are going to need this...

Limited-time deal: DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Wet-Dry Vacuum, Tool Only (DCV580H),Black, Yellow, 17.10 Inch x 12.80 Inch x 12.30 Inch https://a.co/d/07UXdfO
Not going to lie, that’s actually pretty sick. Need a buy one get one for the mini van. That thing is smoked from the kids.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
Thank you

Hey thank you, especially for the links. The roof basket looks great! Definitely looking into that. I have a WRX right now, and a Giulia before that… so the Wife’s mini van has been the camping vehicle (limiting us on destinations). The roof bag has come in way handy, but the basket actually looks pretty sick and can probably be a mount for a light bar.

Any thoughts on the tonneau cover and dirt bike compatibility? I live in a wet area so that is an attractive option; just want to make sure I can load the bike in. Would be more interested in a folding hard cover than a soft one, especially if lockable (are they?)

Are you saying there is a specific door removal tool? If so, I will buy it. Right tool for the job has never done me wrong. I like the call on the compressor too

Not going to lie, that’s actually pretty sick. Need a buy one get one for the mini van. That thing is smoked from the kids.
It all started with a 18v DeWalt drill. I hung up the corded drills for the most part. Then I stepped up my game to the 20v Dewalt power tools. I have that on my list to replace my 15 gallon corded vacuum. The grand kids, one in a carseat the other in a booster, plus two dogs, calls for frequent clean outs.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Thank you

Considering the smaller bed on these you're going to need a rolling cover. The tri-folds usually only allow for the first two panels to be flipped back and that last panel takes up a considerable amount of bed space.

The BAK one I mentioned is one of the few "hard" rolling covers that are in fact lockable and allows for full use of the bed

OP
OP
Marmaduke

Marmaduke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 Gladiator
Considering the smaller bed on these you're going to need a rolling cover. The tri-folds usually only allow for the first two panels to be flipped back and that last panel takes up a considerable amount of bed space.

The BAK one I mentioned is one of the few "hard" rolling covers that are in fact lockable and allows for full use of the bed
Looking that up now. Thank you.

Beewdawg

First Name
Brewdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Truck driver
I've had my BAK X4S for about 2 years now. It's been durable and trouble free.
It even works with my bed tent.

Jeep Gladiator Brand New Gladiator (Sport Manual) - Quality of Life Upgrades? 1000000360

Sponsored

Beewdawg

First Name
Brewdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Truck driver
My JT is also a manual sport with crank down windows etc...
Ordered it like that.
I figured less bells and whistles =less problems later on.
Added Katskin leather seat covers for comfort.

Jeep Gladiator Brand New Gladiator (Sport Manual) - Quality of Life Upgrades? 1000000002

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Makes it faster.

cranbiz

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2017 WK2 Trailhawk, 2012 JK
Occupation
IT Analyst, Volunteer Firefighter
The door removal tool should be in the Jeep. It's the small tool kit in the canvas pouch.

Volt0

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM,JTHA
So there’s a $38 attachment for a drill that does 90° angles. Then just use the bits from your Jeep pack. As @Gvsukids said, way faster; start the threads by hand during install, and don’t let the drill over-torque the bolts/nuts.

in terms of the compressor, I purchased an orange MaxiTrac 300lpm unit for around $124. tons of vids online with ppl running it head to head against a $600 arb twin; also lots of diy vids for moding that compressor- simplest mod there is to just cut the short hose and install a normal npt quick connect. It’s been discontinued, but there’s a blue one that looks like the same thing, just rebranded. It’s rated for 90 amp, so don’t plan on hard wiring it.
Sponsored

Last edited: