Sponsored

Brand new Jeep. Flashing check engine light

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
What are your iron levels at?
34ppm when I dumped the factory fill at 5K miles. 12ppm when checked at 28K miles. I do not think I have a cam wear issue with those numbers.
Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Youre golden, I’d say.
When I look back at my lab result for the Tacoma at 129k kms, the iron there was 12ppm.

My true test will be in 4k kms when my next 10k oil change will be. I’m banking on my lab result will dial back to normal, low metal wear. I will also be taking another sample of that to another lab who will be able to measure exactly how much coolant I’m consuming. I know I’m consuming about 14 ounces in a 10k km period but the problem here really is Chrysler will have to declare how much coolant being consumed by the engine is within acceptable tolerances.

I already know what the tolerance level is for oil consumption. It’s 5L during an oil change period. if the engine ain’t broke, it don’t get fixed.

OP
OP
Drew18337

Drew18337

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep Gladiator, 22 Mitsubishi Outlander
Occupation
Freight Train Conductor
Update:
I spoke with customer service who said that she is going to speak with her bosses about a possible buyback or replacement. Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Possibly know the process and what happens with the loan. Do they pay off the vehicle and I start a new loan or does my loan just carryover to a new vehicle? I asked the rep but she wasn’t sure since the vehicle is so new.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Update:
I spoke with customer service who said that she is going to speak with her bosses about a possible buyback or replacement. Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Possibly know the process and what happens with the loan. Do they pay off the vehicle and I start a new loan or does my loan just carryover to a new vehicle? I asked the rep but she wasn’t sure since the vehicle is so new.
Vehicle might be so new but the buyback or replace option isn’t. They know how to explain the options. Or maybe the customer service rep is so new. Always ask for a manager if you’re not getting answers

Sponsored

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician
Seems rather quick to jump into a buyback situation without trying to fix anything first... You might get lucky because its so new but I am shocked that star wouldn't suggest anything at all.

OP
OP
Drew18337

Drew18337

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Freight Train Conductor
Seems rather quick to jump into a buyback situation without trying to fix anything first... You might get lucky because its so new but I am shocked that star wouldn't suggest anything at all.
she could’ve just been saying that to pacify me. My wife Was really letting her have it on the phone, but her and the dealership have admitted that they still can’t diagnose the problem. Other then the P0300 code. They really have no idea what’s going on or causing the misfire.

She said it’ll take anywhere from 2 to 4 business days for someone to reach out to me to let me know what’s going to happen. But Really I’m curious about what happens if they do approve the buybacK or replacement.

Also she told me to reach or to the sales dept manager from the dealership I purchased the truck from to see if there was anything they could do for me. I honestly didn’t even understand why I would do that. Or what they could do.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Also she told me to reach or to the sales dept manager from the dealership I purchased the truck from to see if there was anything they could do for me. I honestly didn’t even understand why I would do that. Or what they could do.
With that low of miles and if the dealership has not already submitted the MSO to get a state title issued for it, there is more of a possibility of them (dealership) being able to walk back your loan and paperwork to make a "do over" with another vehicle. That really does need to be coordinated with your dealership and Jeep.

Then the issue of your current Gladiator is between the dealership and Jeep instead of being between you and Jeep. Decent dealerships will work it that way. Most though will just pass the buck onto you but if you do not call, you do not know where they stand.

OP
OP
Drew18337

Drew18337

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Freight Train Conductor
With that low of miles and if the dealership has not already submitted the MSO to get a state title issued for it, there is more of a possibility of them (dealership) being able to walk back your loan and paperwork to make a "do over" with another vehicle. That really does need to be coordinated with your dealership and Jeep.

Then the issue of your current Gladiator is between the dealership and Jeep instead of being between you and Jeep. Decent dealerships will work it that way. Most though will just pass the buck onto you but if you do not call, you do not know where they stand.
ok. Now I understand. Thanks.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I had a somewhat similar incident in early 2018 when I bought my then new 2018 Wrangler JL. It was a dealership transfer from another dealer. I drove off the dealership lot and got less than 5 miles down the road and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and would not shift past only the first few gears and nothing to let me get up to highway speeds.

I limped it back to the dealership and they drove it and found the same issue and the sale manager had me go back into the finance office and instructed finance to back out the deal and for sales to put me into something else that was agreeable. Within an hour, the service department came back and told me was fixed and the problem that the transferring dealership they got the JL stated that they had done the PDI which includes taking it out of transport/shipping mode that limits function was not actually done. My dealership re did the PDI and I was whole again.

The fact that they were quickly willing to unwind the deal shows it can be done if caught early. Just keep in mind that everybody else's situation is going to have different nuances but the farther along that someone has had their vehicle and both the vehicle loan processing and getting state title and registration is going to change the dynamics of what the dealership can do or not do for you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The other thing is that with today's inflated prices, if they take back your truck with no official lemon law situation, the title will be clean. They can fix the problem at their leisure and still sell the used truck for a profit. Then order you a new truck and make you happy.

Everybody wins. they get 2 trucks to sell and you walk away from your problem Jeep.

OP
OP
Drew18337

Drew18337

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Freight Train Conductor
Update: Jeep finally thinks they have a fix.

Jeep sent its techs to the dealership to diagnose the issue. They believe that one of the cylinder heads are bad( I’m not sure which one it is)
The service tech told me they are having a cylinder head overnighted and should be arriving tomorrow. So hopefully this fixes the issue.

oceanair1

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
I worked in the service department of a car dealership for several summers in high school and college. We had a great reputation for taking care of customers. I hear stories like this and it terrifies me that I'm about to spend $60k on a vehicle that may have terrible support.

This is literally the kind of thing that tech can do in 5 minutes just to get the ball rolling. It could be a 5 minute fix like a loose hose in the evaporative emissions control system. Or it could be something more significant.

Either way, it only takes 5 minutes to take a look.

If something like this happened at the dealership I worked at, we would have scanned the truck while you waited.

If it was something like a leaky evaporative system (won't hurt the truck , you could drive forever like this) we would offer you a loaner or if you prefer give you the truck back until your scheduled appointment. Yes, the light would be on, but you would know it wasn't a problem.

If it was something like a misfire, which can cause the catalytic converter to overheat, we would keep the truck and send you home with a loaner.
My dealer read the code the first time I brought it in (under a month after purchasing a brand new 2022) and said it was a misfire but said that something could have tripped the system and it's fine to drive. If anything it's a computer issue and bring it back if it turns on again. It did. They had it for 5 days and said they reset the computer - which I felt shouldn't have taken 5 days. It came back on again over the weekend and the next day even sputtered once while at a light. (It's back at the dealer today. I don't know if this time I noticed anything odd as I'm still getting use to the feeling of it but I felt like on the freeway a few times it did feel there was a bit of resistance. I'm worried that they let me continue to drive it and even if they fix the initial issue that other damage could have occurred to other parts that may take longer to break down.
Sponsored