Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Doing a cross country trip in a few months and looking for opinions on peace of mind countermeasures.

We’re going to be alternating camping and doing hotels, and while not going anywhere suspect... the world is a little crazy right now.

I have a lockable hood and a battery disconnect already installed, but my friend was mentioning that I should carry a couple boots with me to scare off opportunists and prevent someone pulling it off with a tow truck:

https://www.trimaxlocks.com/shop/wheel-locks/twl400/
https://immobilize.com/component/hikashop/product/770-the-protector

I emailed both companies and they would fit a 37inch tire, but now I’m on the fence. Am I being paranoid?

Feels strange to be contemplating strapping a couple yellow boots to my truck at night.

Need a little group therapy!
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
If they are that intent to steal your JT by using a tow truck, then the boots won't help.
Lift one end, put on dollies, lift other end with the hook and go.

Save your money, lock her up tight every night and sleep.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
If they are that intent to steal your JT by using a tow truck, then the boots won't help.
Lift one end, put on dollies, lift other end with the hook and go.

Save your money, lock her up tight every night and sleep.
Yup. 50% of the vehicles which get stolen have been left unlocked with the keys in them, or in the unlocked vehicle parked in the driveway next to them.

Ohio JKU

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
PM Construction
I’d avoid drawing attention as in, visible abnormal countermeasures like a boot might make someone think there is something valuable thus worth stealing.

i do like your disconnect And hood locks, i would add some situational things, Parking to the front where there are lots of people coming and going. Under lights , not in dark back lots. You might also park where you can see it, set off the alarm. Don’t leave stuff in the Jeep in plain sight. Keep your heads up too, some thieves don’t mind you being present. It’s easy to be distracted. If something gets odd, leave.

Itook my family accross country in our jku a few years ago, thats what I did.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
I agree that you may not want to use a device that draws more attention.

Years ago, steering wheel locks were popular. They had the ones that went across the wheel but also the ones that go from the wheel down to the brake and floor (more secure and less obvious). They can be defeated by bending the wheel if someone is that determined, but my guess is that most thieves nowadays don't know what to do to them.

Of course, this won't stop a break-in for a grab and go or a tow away but it may help with a drive away theft. Or at least slow them down with the alarm sounding.

But, if they really want it, its theirs no matter what you do.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kindafearless

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
Cool, thanks for helping me keep my sanity. I would hate to be lugging those things across country!

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Doing a cross country trip in a few months and looking for opinions on peace of mind countermeasures.

We’re going to be alternating camping and doing hotels, and while not going anywhere suspect... the world is a little crazy right now.

I have a lockable hood and a battery disconnect already installed, but my friend was mentioning that I should carry a couple boots with me to scare off opportunists and prevent someone pulling it off with a tow truck:

https://www.trimaxlocks.com/shop/wheel-locks/twl400/
https://immobilize.com/component/hikashop/product/770-the-protector

I emailed both companies and they would fit a 37inch tire, but now I’m on the fence. Am I being paranoid?

Feels strange to be contemplating strapping a couple yellow boots to my truck at night.

Need a little group therapy!
What hood lock and battery disconnect did you go with?

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Bring a dog and tie it to the JT.

IslandFalconer

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, BMW R9T, BMW X4M40i
Occupation
Falconer
Honestly you’re better to get a GPS tracking service. If it’s missing you can find it fast.
And the police will go immediately if you tell them you know where it is. Well installed and hidden you should have it found before they get it disconnected

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I really don't care for the modern design motel/hotel that doesn't have a door that allows entry from where my vehicle is parked. I'm more concerned that someone is going to mess with my Jeep than the stuff I have in my room. So, I want it parked directly outside my door. This is also helpful since I have a ton of photography gear I bring into the room. My advice is, look for an older, single floor motel where the doors open directly to your parking, and where the proprietor is in a good position to see if there is monkey business going on outside your room (for when you go to dinner). And then take responsibility for keeping an eye on your rig. If you have a burglar alarm, that is especially helpful in adding to your comfort. If you can, walk to meals, but hang the do not disturb sign on the door and turn up the TV.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
On our recent trip to Death Valley, we stayed in Beatty NV at a "vintage" motel called El Portal that is EXACTLY this setup, and it certainly aided our peace of mind.

Now my wife wants to buy it and go full in on the retro theme, I told her it's too far away....

I really don't care for the modern design motel/hotel that doesn't have a door that allows entry from where my vehicle is parked. I'm more concerned that someone is going to mess with my Jeep than the stuff I have in my room. So, I want it parked directly outside my door. This is also helpful since I have a ton of photography gear I bring into the room. My advice is, look for an older, single floor motel where the doors open directly to your parking, and where the proprietor is in a good position to see if there is monkey business going on outside your room (for when you go to dinner). And then take responsibility for keeping an eye on your rig. If you have a burglar alarm, that is especially helpful in adding to your comfort. If you can, walk to meals, but hang the do not disturb sign on the door and turn up the TV.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t know where you are going to be staying, but that seems overkill to me.

I think you are overthinking it.

Go out and have fun.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I dont want to be a dick, but take a chill pill. The vast majority of people out there are good people, regardless of their economic standing.

dont leave anything of value visible, put on wheel lock lug nuts, and call it a day. If theres a pro crew out there steeling jeeps with tow trucks then there isnt much out there thats going to stop them, and theyre probably rolling deep so think carefully about a confrontation.

just pack, plan, and enjoy your trip.
Sponsored