Sponsored

Broken tab/weld on Mojave Frame..No Warranty???

OP
OP
sandifer

sandifer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator (Mojave)
Occupation
retired from IT business
Vehicle Showcase
100%

You stiffen something up, upstream parts now have more force on them.
I totally agree with both of you... My thought is that a "Jeep" is made to go offroad and withstand at least normal stress. We all to things to these vehicles that improve/strengthen them right? Something had to give in this situation because of the stress. What gives will be "the weakest" link in the chain...Had I had the stock sway bar it would have been the same tab or some other Mopar part that broke because of the stress..

My grip is that I improved the Jeep with the Helwig swaybar and the paper thin tabs broke under normal driving (not off road). The tabs on a Gladiator or Wrangler should be stronger than that.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sandifer

sandifer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator (Mojave)
Occupation
retired from IT business
Vehicle Showcase
I have had the same sway bar link frame mounts on both sides crack on my Gladiator when using the stock sway bar with longer links to accommodate a 3.5" lift. I ended up welding a small gusset along the inside of the tab since the inside is U shaped. Driver side had the captive nut begin to spin so I welded the nut to the gusset to stop it spinning. It's a pain in the rear for sure and I feel like it shouldn't have been so weak from the factory.
AMEN !!! LOL..

Oh and this has been mentiond in several post about the "longer links". I'm no mechanic and this may not matter but ...the Helwig swaybar is not a one size fits all part. There are different bars to accomidate the lift height... My swaybar was the correct one for the lift on my jeep...

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
I almost ripped mine out of both tabs, but that was because the sway bar links was my "limit straps" until i installed true limit straps about a month later. Unfortunately during that month of waiting I was at KoH and decided to see how fast i could take the whoops, that resulted in a bit of bucking and a ton of strain on those mounts. BUT, i did not rip any out completely, just cracks in the metal

DrPlastic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 H-D Breakout, '21 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician/Mechanic
The dealer is well within their rights under the Magnusson-Moss Warranty act. Even though they installed the sway bar, that in and of itself voids the warranty. If you touched or replaced anything with aftermarket then that voids the warranty on the suspension system. Although they would have to defend thier action in court, you would be very hard pressed to leverage any defense.

Last edited:

DrPlastic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks...I think I'll do that no matter how this turns out. I'm just not going to pay Jeep $800 to weld this when its Jeeps issue..If they totally refuse to cover this I'm gona get a local shop to do the work...Even if they cover it and do the welding under warranty I'll take it local shop to check their work...Learned that I can't trust Jeep to do the right thing..

Again it is not Jeeps issue. You had an aftermarket part installed. That places the blame for any damage to the suspension system squarely on your shoulders.

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Relevant (ish) question then - Does the Mopar lift void your warranty too? Or is it the only lift kit that doesn't?

DrPlastic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Warrantable or not ... Jeep needs to beef up these tabs ... if you search the issue you will find that this has been a problem for some time. I'm surprised the aftermarket has not introduced a fix?
Jeep is not required to do anything other than ensure their FCA manufactured parts will work on their FCA manufactured vehicles. They don't "need" to do anything.

OP
OP
sandifer

sandifer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator (Mojave)
Occupation
retired from IT business
Vehicle Showcase
Again it is not Jeeps issue. You had an aftermarket part installed. That places the blame for any damage to the suspension system squarely on your shoulders.
All I know is that we all put aftermarket parts on these vehicles. Some Jeeps dealers even sell new Jeeps loaded with aftermarket parts. And Jeeps are advertised to be strong and dependable even navigate rocky trails.........Right??

I'm not a lawyer or DR, DrPlastic and know nothing about the "Magnusson-Moss Warranty act" etc. I'm sure ur right and it's squarely my fault for putting upgraded parts on my Gladiator...

OP
OP
sandifer

sandifer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator (Mojave)
Occupation
retired from IT business
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep is not required to do anything other than ensure their FCA manufactured parts will work on their FCA manufactured vehicles. They don't "need" to do anything.
My FCA manufactured part on my FCA manufactured vehicle broke DrPlastic..LOL

Sponsored

DrPlastic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Relevant (ish) question then - Does the Mopar lift void your warranty too? Or is it the only lift kit that doesn't?
It can.

Case in point.

I purchased a 2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium. I took it to a Ford Roush dealership and had them install a Roush power pack on my GT. That in and of itself voided my engine warranty and they stated that at the beginning. You must pay $499.00 to get a supplemental 3y/36month Roush warranty. Even though the dealership installed a dealer package, it voided the Ford engine warranty. Not even Fords extened warranty or service plans would cover it. Said so right in the fine print.

DrPlastic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
All I know is that we all put aftermarket parts on these vehicles. Some Jeeps dealers even sell new Jeeps loaded with aftermarket parts. And Jeeps are advertised to be strong and dependable even navigate rocky trails.........Right??

I'm not a lawyer or DR, DrPlastic and know nothing about the "Magnusson-Moss Warranty act" etc. I'm sure ur right and it's squarely my fault for putting upgraded parts on my Gladiator...

I have had two cars lemon-lawed under the M-M warranty act. Been to several arbitration hearings and went to hearings....and won.

DrPlastic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My FCA manufactured part on my FCA manufactured vehicle broke DrPlastic..LOL
It was broken by an aftermarket part that stressed the tab to beyond it's design limits.

Next..........

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
It was broken by an aftermarket part that stressed the tab to beyond it's design limits.

Next..........
I’m gonna bet that plenty of other dealers would have covered their own installation of aftermarket parts…I’m thinking this just another case of cagey, shifty-fcuk dealer shenanigans.

KX L

First Name
KX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CVO Street Glide; 2022 JT Mojave with 6MT
Occupation
Retired

Yeah---but your Jeep looks great! Who would have thought you want it to actually drive somewhere???? :LOL: :beer:
Sponsored