Sponsored

Brought my jeep in to check a steering issue and the dealer dropped a door on it.

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Just thought I'd share my recent misfortune. I noticed recently that my steering pump (or whatever the preferred term for the hydraulic/electric assisted steering is in these cars) was making a lot of noise, it essentially sounded like a large amount of air coming out of the steering column when turning. Something I never experienced before. Here's a video:

After people suggesting on here that this is abnormal, I brought it up when I went to the dealer for my oil change/rotation, After two days they told me they couldn't replicate the issue and think the sound is normal and to pick up the car the next day, everything else has been completed. So I went the next day and they surprisingly told me to wait, which was odd since it was supposed to be ready the night before. 45 mins later, turns out they dropped a garage door on my truck and damaged my top and rail.

IMG_7219.jpg

IMG_7220.jpg

IMG_7221.jpg

IMG_7222.jpg

Not fun taking your gladiator in for one issue and coming out with more.
Sponsored

Yachtnutz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi 2016 Range Rover supercharged LWB, F350 KR S/D, 30th Anniversary Camaro SS convertible
Wow sorry to hear that , they are going to fix it right !

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Well it appears to be mostly cosmetic which is good. I'd tune them up to have the top repainted and that bed rail addressed.

Sucks for sure.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Likely they have an automatic door and it's having an issue or you missed the sensor. They should fix it but it's unlikely they dropped the door on the truck.

Also, random question, is your Jeep lifted because we definitely had that issue come up with a few TJU's when I was wrenching at the dealer... the sensor was the right height above the ground and some jeeps were tall enough to clear it - stopping at the door to make sure the driveway was clear around the vehicles parked along the wall outside occasionally meant the door would try to come down on the Jeep. Eventually, they disabled the auto function and we had to manually crank it in winter.

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
The top is easy, they just replace it. That rail looks like the metal is actually slightly compressed, sucks.

davetha

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeep.host
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Jeep JT
Build Thread
Link
The top is easy, they just replace it. That rail looks like the metal is actually slightly compressed, sucks.
Yup, I'd have them replace the top... and yes it does look like there is probably damage to the bed side.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Yikes!!! That sux. Hope you get everything straightened out.

OP
OP
surge101

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So are they going to do anything about it?
Well, they initially offered to have the body shop "repair" it. Which upset me, I told them I wanted a new top, which it seems I'll be getting now, we will see when I go in. Honestly, I think I should get additional compensation, credit or something, for this hassle and damage to the vehicle I paid them 42k dollars for that is now damaged. They seem to think offering me a rental for the day is compensation. I wouldn't need a rental if they didn't smash my truck...
Likely they have an automatic door and it's having an issue or you missed the sensor. They should fix it but it's unlikely they dropped the door on the truck.

Also, random question, is your Jeep lifted because we definitely had that issue come up with a few TJU's when I was wrenching at the dealer... the sensor was the right height above the ground and some jeeps were tall enough to clear it - stopping at the door to make sure the driveway was clear around the vehicles parked along the wall outside occasionally meant the door would try to come down on the Jeep. Eventually, they disabled the auto function and we had to manually crank it in winter.
Nope, stock height.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Yep, they owe you and they need to step up!

Sponsored

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Honestly, I think I should get additional compensation, credit or something, for this hassle

Don't be one of those guys. Life is too short.

Accidents happen, it appears they are replacing the top as you requested.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I mean if they make you whole with a new top and bed rail caps and give you a rental while they do the swap, I would say they've satisfied their responsibility assuming that image is right and there's no actual body damage. Accidents happen and unless you can prove malice or financial hardship from the damage, they don't owe you anything more.

OP
OP
surge101

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't be one of those guys. Life is too short.

Accidents happen, it appears they are replacing the top as you requested.
I just feel like if I walked into the dealership and accidentally damaged one of their vehicles, they wouldn't have an "accidents" happen mindset. This is a dealership that has 42k of my money for a new vehicle that I bought from them and they damaged it. It is not only an inconvenience for me to now have to go back and get it repaired, my new truck is also now a previously damaged truck and not of my doing. They aren't doing me a favor by repairing what they damaged.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I would make them upgrade be to a color matching top and have a body shop of my choice fix the bed rails and side. If they did not agree to these terms they would also be paying my legal fees.

murktJT

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
They owe you a full repair, a loaner, and a gas card to cover you needing to drive back and forth. They dont owe you a check imo. They can do that work without any damage or repairs being on the cars history. Trust me I know because a dealer hit something on the lot in my mustang. It took weeks to get it repaired and when I got it back they didn't even get close to a color match so it went back again, but never was on the carfax or anything. They should do whatever it takes to make it right but they arent going to write you a check
Sponsored