First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
Iam really wanting to get a tazer and would like to buy used but threads about issues and bugs have me concerned about warranty or customer support especially if I buy used. Are the issues with these widespread or just small quantities? I'd hate to buy a used one someone is having issues with.
Sponsored

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Neither - Tazer is trash. Get a superchips Flashcal.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Unless you are really interested in the steering wheel live buttons. I vote go for Jscan…. I went with a tazer and it’s unmarried sitting in the center console. Jscan does everything I want and need to do to the Jeep.
We had two for two with issues regarding the battery getting drained when we left the tazer hooked up 🤷🏽‍♂️

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Iam really wanting to get a tazer and would like to buy used but threads about issues and bugs have me concerned about warranty or customer support especially if I buy used. Are the issues with these widespread or just small quantities? I'd hate to buy a used one someone is having issues with.
I'll actually try to answer your question rather than bring up things you didn't mention.

Buying used you need to make sure they actually unmarried it from the vehicle. If they just pull it off and give it to you without doing that first, you'll have to jump through some hoops to get Tazer to reset it for you. New you never have a worry.

As for the issues, what issues are you referring to? Most I've seen are either people not updating them or not allowing the proper sleep cycles when making changes. The unit is solid for what it is as long as you follow the directions.

Scott L

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon Gecko
Occupation
Depends who you ask
I’m all for saving a few bucks and buying used whenever I can, but unless you know the person and or know you can trust them buy new. Quadratech just had twenty percent off about a week or two ago don’t know if that’s still available or not but might try them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing
As for the issues, what issues are you referring to? Most I've seen are either people not updating them or not allowing the proper sleep cycles when making changes. The unit is solid for what it is as long as you follow the directions.
I've seen several threads and comments about tazer issues. Some of them seem to be sporadic and others might be a new feature that came with an update that needed some fine tuning.

OP
OP

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing
I’m all for saving a few bucks and buying used whenever I can, but unless you know the person and or know you can trust them buy new. Quadratech just had twenty percent off about a week or two ago don’t know if that’s still available or not but might try them.
Yea its definitely a risk buying used especially if youre having it mailed to you.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I've seen several threads and comments about tazer issues. Some of them seem to be sporadic and others might be a new feature that came with an update that needed some fine tuning.
I mean, you'll see threads and comments on everything having issues if you look for them. That's the nature of the internet and mass-production. The thing I see is that they very frequently seem to be traceable back to something the user did or didn't do.

Forums also serve as a collection point for bad stories. Remember that people with good or expected experiences don't usually make threads about them. Think of how many times you've seen an issue that couldn't be resolved (most are resolved), and then think of how many Tazers are actually out there.

FWIW, I've had multiple Tazers in multiple Jeeps and never had a single issue that wasn't corrected. Most were of my own doing. If you have concerns on specific issues, let us know what they are as I'm sure many of us can give you answers to them.

gladtohave

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Online sales
Buy new and avoid the hassles . Heard to many horror stories on the used Tazers not being unmarried and having to jump thru hoops to want to go used .

Last edited:

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
As said, the only issue with used is if the previous owner properly unmarried it before removing or not. If they did not (like they might do if they just wanted it to change gear or tire settings and then sell it) you will cost you another $50 to have the manufacturer change the vin it's married to.

Pretty much any OTHER problem you will find is user error.
Either someone updated to BETA test firmware and expected it to be flawless;
Or they failed to properly followed the directions exactly. (For example, one common issue related to not following the directions is it can drain the battery if you don't.)

As for the beta testing software:
Because of the people who didn't understand what beta testing actually means, the manufacturer now requires you to jump thru hoops and contact them and opt-in to the beta program. You can no longer just download the beta firmware from their website. So those complainers should be in the past.

Sponsored

OP
OP

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing
Thanks for the advice. I ended up just ordering a new tazer. I have jscan now and only used it to disable tpms and recalibrate for larger tires. Iam wondering if I have to do anything like restore factory settings before installing the tazer?

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iam wondering if I have to do anything like restore factory settings before installing the tazer?
Nope. As a matter of fact, this is better. When you marry the Tazer it saves a snapshot of all your existing settings. When you unmarry it and remove it (like prior to taking your Jeep into the dealer), it restores all those settings. So in an ideal world, you use something like Jscan to make changes like tire size and gearing before marrying the Tazer so they don't change back to stock and hurt the driveability while the Tazer is out. Also so you don't have to reprogram them after you re-install the Tazer when you get home.

Really, and this touches on some prior posts here, if Jscan (or the overpriced FlashCal) does everything you want, there is little reason to buy a Tazer. The Tazer shines when it comes to all the live mode features it must stay plugged in to do. No programmer or tuner alone can do those things, it requires additional hardware like the Tazer to be installed, with the complications that go along with it.

OP
OP

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing
Nope. As a matter of fact, this is better. When you marry the Tazer it saves a snapshot of all your existing settings. When you unmarry it and remove it (like prior to taking your Jeep into the dealer), it restores all those settings. So in an ideal world, you use something like Jscan to make changes like tire size and gearing before marrying the Tazer so they don't change back to stock and hurt the driveability while the Tazer is out. Also so you don't have to reprogram them after you re-install the Tazer when you get home.

Really, and this touches on some prior posts here, if Jscan (or the overpriced FlashCal) does everything you want, there is little reason to buy a Tazer. The Tazer shines when it comes to all the live mode features it must stay plugged in to do. No programmer or tuner alone can do those things, it requires additional hardware like the Tazer to be installed, with the complications that go along with it.

That's good info to know. Tazer has some really cool features I couldn't pass up like turning the bed light on with the key fob, using navigation while in motion, using sway bar and lockers without need to be in 4 low etc. It's also cool they update the software with new features.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's good info to know. Tazer has some really cool features I couldn't pass up like turning the bed light on with the key fob, using navigation while in motion, using sway bar and lockers without need to be in 4 low etc. It's also cool they update the software with new features.
Some of the simplest things I use the most. Like this time of year I use the bed/reverse lights feature a lot. I installed mine as soon as it came home from the dealer, so sometimes I forget things I take for granted are not there in a Jeep from the factory.

OP
OP

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing
Guys, I got my new tazer hooked up and tuned to me jt and man is it nice! No issues so far except accidentally turning on the light show. I wish you could remap buttons for front camera too though. This was a great purchase.
Sponsored