Can we Disable the auto stop start?

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Like others, I found that I can depress the brake pedal enough to remain stopped, but not enough to enable the Auto stop. That works for me most of the time.

I did disable the switch under the hood as a test and my remote start still functions normally, but when driving, I do get the Auto Start/Stop warning indicator in the console. I don't like seeing that, so I re-enabled the switch and will just have to wait until I purchase the Tazer as a better way to resolve the issue.
Sponsored

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee , 2021 JTMojave (punjabi), 22 gobiator
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Not having to restart the engine all the time.
I am confused so the gladiator shuts itself down when you stop at a light? Then restarts only when you push a button? It malfunctions if you stop with the wheels turned or are using the A/C? Say it ain't so.

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
I am confused so the gladiator shuts itself down when you stop at a light? Then restarts only when you push a button? It malfunctions if you stop with the wheels turned or are using the A/C? Say it ain't so.
Right now I hit the button to disable the ESS, but otherwise, yes, it would shut off everytime I stop at a light once the engine is warmed up.

I don't want to be on the hook to get stranded or pay for the extra wear on my truck in order to save a small amount of fuel. Apparently that gets a negative reaction out of people for some reason.

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Right now I hit the button to disable the ESS, but otherwise, yes, it would shut off everytime I stop at a light once the engine is warmed up.

I don't want to be on the hook to get stranded or pay for the extra wear on my truck in order to save a small amount of fuel. Apparently that gets a negative reaction out of people for some reason.
I heard a lot of complaints about it and errors with it but didn't really pay attention because I was so far out from getting my Mojave. Now I'm kind of worried lol.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I heard a lot of complaints about it and errors with it but didn't really pay attention because I was so far out from getting my Mojave. Now I'm kind of worried lol.
There's nothing to worry about. Either leave the ESS on and let it do its thing, or use the button to turn it off every time you start it. There are multiple devices that can be installed under the dash to automatically turn it off for you. It does save some fuel, but not enough for me to intentionally leave it on, especially when it is hot (a large part of the year here).

Sponsored

SonoranMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
The system works differently in the Gladiator than my wife’s WK2. There it works like it was intended and it’s much more intrusive so we have to disable it every time. I actually thought something was wrong with mine until I finally was able to get it to engage by turning off the fan. Since my fan is ALWAYS on blowing something, it’s a complete non-issue for me and I don’t even think about it unless I want to actually use the feature like at a long stop.

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
There's nothing to worry about. Either leave the ESS on and let it do its thing, or use the button to turn it off every time you start it. There are multiple devices that can be installed under the dash to automatically turn it off for you. It does save some fuel, but not enough for me to intentionally leave it on, especially when it is hot (a large part of the year here).
If you can just use the button how come people are saying they use a tazer to turn it off? I'm not doubting you I'm just curious why some people say it's so messed up.
EDIT: IM GUESSING THE DEVISES ARE SO YOU DONT HAVE TO REMEBER TO PUSH IT EVERY DRIVE?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If you can just use the button how come people are saying they use a tazer to turn it off? I'm not doubting you I'm just curious why some people say it's so messed up.
EDIT: IM GUESSING THE DEVISES ARE SO YOU DONT HAVE TO REMEBER TO PUSH IT EVERY DRIVE?
The ESS system cannot actually be disabled, it is always on. It comes with a button on the dash to prevent it from activating, but it resets every time the vehicle is started. The Tazer, and the other 'ESS Disable' devices, connect to the OBD line under the dash. They intercept the ESS Off button signal and tell the truck computer how you want it set instead of letting it default to activate at every startup.

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
The ESS system cannot actually be disabled, it is always on. It comes with a button on the dash to prevent it from activating, but it resets every time the vehicle is started. The Tazer, and the other 'ESS Disable' devices, connect to the OBD line under the dash. They intercept the ESS Off button signal and tell the truck computer how you want it set instead of letting it default to activate at every startup.
Thanks

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Auto start stop doesn't bother me. I have adapted to lift my foot off the brake a bit sooner. And its fine. But its still nice to have the change stay permanent for those who prefer to disable it.
Sponsored