rob@hidprojectors

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LJ on 40s
Is it just me or is this ridiculous? I want to build a bare bones gladiator specifically for overlanding.

You can only option the m210/m220 wide axles with max tow package, but it's not available in standard transmission.

If anyone here works at a dealership, is there any person who can be contacted to special order these axles on the build sheet?
Sponsored

Last edited:

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I think you’re SOL unless you order a Rubicon that comes standard with those axles.

I’m building an overlanding rig and chose the Rubicon because it has most of the hardware I would want straight from the factory. I did get the auto tranny to get the max towing package which should help with a loaded vehicle off-road.

NaughtyGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
It's my understanding that the only reason those axles are offered on the Sport trim is to get the tow rating up and most of the tow rating is based on having the automatic transmission programming in place. I really wanted the 6 speed but even on the Rubicon with the axles the tow rating drops to 4,000 lbs which defeats the purpose of going from a Wrangler to a Gladiator for me.

OP
OP
rob@hidprojectors

rob@hidprojectors

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LJ on 40s
I wont be towing anything with it, I just want the bigger axle. I've done the 1 ton swaps before and I just dont feel it this time around. But unfortunately its looking like I might have to, at the very least a dynatrac 44.

it's really a shame, I dont want any of the frills on the rubicon that drive the price up, Yet they build the powertrain how I want it.

The few things I would want I can get in the aftermarket for less.

what happened car manufacturers, back in the day you could option vehicles *exactly* how you wanted. Now it's just weird packages to upsell you.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
They learned from the cable companies, find what you want and then attach the stuff that's hard to push to it.
We need an “unlike” button on this forum but you are exactly correct!

OP
OP
rob@hidprojectors

rob@hidprojectors

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LJ on 40s
Well, the Rubicon Is slowly looking better every day now.

Probably going to hold out for the diesel

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Yeah you can't get the Max Tow with the manual. The manual can't approach the amount of weight the auto can pull so there just isn't much point in giving it the option. When I was debating going Sport S the way I wanted it optioned vs. a Rubicon the way I wanted it there was a 3k dollar difference. I can understand going base Sport though, I wanted to. Put a modest amount down and have low payments. But my wife said it had to have power windows and locks so i went full tilt the other way.

Elwenil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Dodge Ramcharger
Occupation
Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Dealership Parts Manager
Well, the Rubicon Is slowly looking better every day now.

Probably going to hold out for the diesel
Keep in mind that the diesel engine will not be available with the manual transmission.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
They learned from the cable companies, find what you want and then attach the stuff that's hard to push to it.
You can thank Honda for this. They were the first to come out with packages, making mass production easier and cheaper, and the rest had to follow suit to compete. Good news though, you can still customize your Bentley till the cows come home. /s

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Is it just me or is this ridiculous? I want to build a bare bones gladiator specifically for overlanding.

You can only option the m210/m220 wide axles with max tow package, but it's not available in standard transmission.

If anyone here works at a dealership, is there any person who can be contacted to special order these axles on the build sheet?
Manual trans. doesn't have the clutch load-holding capacity to support nearly 8,000 lbs. of trailer, per the engineers, so you'll have to go with the (far superior) 850RE automatic if you want the Max Towing package.
Sponsored