Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Is that the underside of the frame I’m seeing? There are holes all over the frame. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Sediment or not in there, it’ll last decades.
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Is that the underside of the frame I’m seeing? There are holes all over the frame. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Sediment or not in there, it’ll last decades.
Not the underside. The hole is right behind the front wheels.

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
There is sediment in mine and I just got my MO in feb...And it took me 1 month to read the manual before I could drive it -lol, so that doesn't even count...Just blast it with your hose, just in case....GV's pic clearly shows it, but I'll snap another for you which may or may not be any better.

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I stick a hose down there all of the time after mudding. Helps to park on an incline.

IMG_20220526_075109.jpg
GV' I can see in your pic, you still have a slight film of dirt/mud in those areas on the "under carriage" (mine always looks good right after washing with the hose, but always dries similar with a film or spots of film (and obviously driving me nuts as exemplified in this thread)...Being new to this, and hearing the horror stories about rust, what is your view relative to the film left behind? Is this something which can lead to rust or are you thinking mostly the more significant "dirt" is the real problem and just willing to live with the film?

thanks

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Summit', Here are some more pics, can't miss it about 1 foot rear of the TOP of your front bumper...You can clearly see the sediment in there...I am going to hose it out....

I also crawled under the truck all the way, I didn't see anything major, just various amounts of spots and film all over the place similar to what one can see in these pics...Big question is, is this "OK" or does it need to be cleaned further to prevent rusting?

Jeep Gladiator Car washing the Gladiator and transfer case IMG_0985.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Car washing the Gladiator and transfer case IMG_0986.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Car washing the Gladiator and transfer case IMG_0987.JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, it’s fine. It’s part of the frame, is completely open to the air, and is not susceptible to direct rock impact, so the paint is unlikely to chip down to bare metal. It’s not realistic for every spot on a vehicle chassis to be cleaned when washing, nor is it necessary for non show cars.

downtroddengoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2013 Outback
Occupation
Doing Goat things.
Any one have any tricks to get the leaves and such between the cab and the bed out?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Any one have any tricks to get the leaves and such between the cab and the bed out?
Do it yourself car wash. I always spray that area a lot after big trail weekends.

downtroddengoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2013 Outback
Occupation
Doing Goat things.
Do it yourself car wash. I always spray that area a lot after big trail weekends.
I wash and wax it myself, but I cannot seem to get the leaves at the bottom between the cab and the bed to "spray out." Could be water pressure, I suppose.

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I wash and wax it myself, but I cannot seem to get the leaves at the bottom between the cab and the bed to "spray out." Could be water pressure, I suppose.
You can try a leaf blower on high setting, might work.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
GV' I can see in your pic, you still have a slight film of dirt/mud in those areas on the "under carriage" (mine always looks good right after washing with the hose, but always dries similar with a film or spots of film (and obviously driving me nuts as exemplified in this thread)...Being new to this, and hearing the horror stories about rust, what is your view relative to the film left behind? Is this something which can lead to rust or are you thinking mostly the more significant "dirt" is the real problem and just willing to live with the film?

thanks
I'm willing to live with the film. It's not salt water, so I don't see it causing rust.

Summit', Here are some more pics, can't miss it about 1 foot rear of the TOP of your front bumper...You can clearly see the sediment in there...I am going to hose it out....

I also crawled under the truck all the way, I didn't see anything major, just various amounts of spots and film all over the place similar to what one can see in these pics...Big question is, is this "OK" or does it need to be cleaned further to prevent rusting?

That's not the same hole as mine. Mine leads into the frame, yours is a cross member.

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I'm willing to live with the film. It's not salt water, so I don't see it causing rust.

That's not the same hole as mine. Mine leads into the frame, yours is a cross member.
That is "funny" there is a "hole" for everyone on the JT...Is that hole further back or further forward from the cross-member hole? And is it further up or further down?

(BTW, the cross member hole does go from one side to the other and has a drain hole in the middle).

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
That is "funny" there is a "hole" for everyone on the JT...Is that hole further back or further forward from the cross-member hole? And is it further up or further down?
Back, behind the wheel.

PXL_20220527_102130450.jpg

MoxiesDad

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2014 Jeep Patriot
Occupation
Maintenance Mechanic
The only luck I've had to get leaves out was to push them out using a driveway marker.

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
BTW, I am glad you and SummitDan have this opinion (thanks!), I didn't want to be negligent as a new JT owner :) but getting it off was becoming a hassle. I don't care what it looks like "down there" just want to do adequate rust protection.

Just as a test, I'm getting some Chemical Guy products, just to see how they work...If I can spray them on, do a little with a soft brush, hose it off, and get rid of the film in easy to reach places I'll take it, but I don't want to go any further than that. I got this MO to have fun driving it in the dirt, not to be a show car.
Sponsored