First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Broke my Cherry today and went to the carwash...I was off road yesterday some mud, but mostly sand. When I got home I hosed off the big clumps by the fenders an running boards...

So I figured I'd have them do the undercarriage for a change was totally underwhelmed. The guy even let me go through a second time for free, still looked the same. The mud around here needs to be rubbed off otherwise it leaves a thin film, and I suppose the under carriage washing is just water (maybe soap) but no rubbing...For 17$ a pop or all you can eat for 17$ a month they can keep it.

Or maybe my expectations are too high. For those of you who let the car wash do your undercarriage, is there still a thin film of mud in some places or does it come out "spotless"?

-Joe
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
For those of you who let the car wash do your undercarriage, is there still a thin film of mud in some places or does it come out "spotless"?
Not spotless, but better than with the garden hose. I use them all of the time in the winter for spraying out the underside. I still have mud in places that need encouragement to leave.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
I've never had luck getting trail mud off at an automatic car wash. I run it through the cheapest cycle (touchless only for me...) to get off the big stuff, then take it home and pressure wash the rest. Undercarriage is the worst, especially sand/mud... make sure you get up under it and clean the tops of the skid plates otherwise mud collects there forever.

An angled pressure washer attachment (like for gutters) really helps.

And the film is normal from what I've seen... even a decent pressure washer leaves the film, I take a cheap wash mit to it and then throw it away.

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I've never had luck getting trail mud off at an automatic car wash. I run it through the cheapest cycle (touchless only for me...) to get off the big stuff, then take it home and pressure wash the rest. Undercarriage is the worst, especially sand/mud... make sure you get up under it and clean the tops of the skid plates otherwise mud collects there forever.

An angled pressure washer attachment (like for gutters) really helps.

And the film is normal from what I've seen... even a decent pressure washer leaves the film, I take a cheap wash mit to it and then throw it away.
Thanks...I was hoping the car wash would do the trick (many people seem to do it exclusively) but it actually didn't even do as well as my garden house on "jet" setting (we do have very good water pressure here). I am glad you confirmand that the film is to be expected unless you rub it some, that is what I have found. I'll be looking into a middle of the road type pressure washer.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator

Sponsored

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
Think twice about using the car wash. The last time I used one, one of the mental- giants drying the cars had a RING on, and scratched the crap out of my car (traded for JT) - all over the car! The manager had it buffed to my satisfaction. But it could have been a huge mess.

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Think twice about using the car wash. The last time I used one, one of the mental- giants drying the cars had a RING on, and scratched the crap out of my car (traded for JT) - all over the car! The manager had it buffed to my satisfaction. But it could have been a huge mess.
Yep, I'm done with car washes unless a special situation comes up. Ridiculously expensive where I live (I wouldn't mind if they did a good job), young Bevis and Butthead type "kids" manning the controls - lol. It misses a lot of spots and does a mediocre job on the undercarriage.

What I really could use is car-lift in my yard :). If I didn't have to bend over so much (which is a little tough for us in the retirement phase lol (even though I stay in excellent shape by working out)) to clean the undercarriage - then the entire thing becomes an easy job.

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Do yourself a favor and buy Ryobi's $100 power washer. It's only 1600 psi/1.2 and even the 10 degree nozzle is safe for cars. Get the foamer attachment and some neutral based soap (Car Guys makes a good one) and you'll never have to worry about going to a car wash again. No mud will survive...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-1-600-PSI-1-2-GPM-Electric-Pressure-Washer-RY141612/301004462
That might just be the perfect one...I'll be taking a close look. Thanks!

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I try to only hand wash, but have used the self serve bays before. I have never used an automatic car wash on my last 3 vehicles. (wife uses all the time and her car really shows it) Once a year I clay bar my vehicle, and reapply a good wax. The Gladiator has a little pinstriping from some close trees, but nearly zero spiderwebbing after 2 years of owning. This fall I may need to buff out the pin stripes before I reapply the wax.

I figure that the truck spends 80% or more of it's life on the road, it may as well look nice. But that 20% it sure does well at too!

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
What do you say Fellas, dedicated, silly, or just plain crazy, undercarriage cleaning:

Sponsored

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
What do you say Fellas, dedicated, silly, or just plain crazy, undercarriage cleaning:

Crazy .... mines a trail rig, not a show car. I use the full on car wash and let the brushed beat the crap out of my JT. (Actually I have Trail Scales on the sides, so I really don't care)

Chicks dig scars ... does that also apply to pin stripes

OP
OP
joeym7

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Just a heads up folks, I don't know if anyone has posted this, but I was noising around my Mojave in the garage with a flashlight. Haven't noticed this outside when washing cause I don't use a flashlight outside. There is a significant "hole" in the front "undercarriage" (I assume to save weight ???) which goes from both sides towards the center (you can see it if you look in the wheel well, I don't know what part this is called and don't know if both sides are connected. I do know I see sediment in there and I have only had the MO since February. Tomorrow I'll stick a hose in both sides, but I highly doubt a carwash undercharge cleaning shooting water (up) is cleaning this very much or at all if you use car wash regularly.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just a heads up folks, I don't know if anyone has posted this, but I was noising around my Mojave in the garage with a flashlight. Haven't noticed this outside when washing cause I don't use a flashlight outside. There is a significant "hole" in the front "undercarriage" (I assume to save weight ???) which goes from both sides towards the center (you can see it if you look in the wheel well, I don't know what part this is called and don't know if both sides are connected. I do know I see sediment in there and I have only had the MO since February. Tomorrow I'll stick a hose in both sides, but I highly doubt a carwash undercharge cleaning shooting water (up) is cleaning this very much or at all if you use car wash regularly.
I think I know what you’re referring to, but would you mind sharing a picture?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I stick a hose down there all of the time after mudding. Helps to park on an incline.
I think I know what you’re referring to, but would you mind sharing a picture?
IMG_20220526_075109.jpg
Sponsored