Sponsored

Carry a firearm while out in the woods? New to the Colorado area....

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
Hello, I am new to the Denver area (moved here from MIami, FL).

(Please delete if this topic is not allowed)

As a family (wife and two kids under 3) we plan to do camping out in the woods away from any amenities; i think the term is "dispersed camping".
Question is should I consider carrying a firearm?

Two areas I am think are, protection from animals (i realize most animals are more afraid of us then we are of them), and worse is if we were to encounter someone upto no good/looking for trouble out in the middle of nowhere.

I realize gun safety is a very important point that would have to be evaluated, especially with the two kids.
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
What are the rules for concealed carry permits in your jurisdiction?

For California, if you're in an RV it's considered a domicile, which is surprisingly sane. So, having a firearm in your "home" is OK.

If you're hunting or fishing in the national forest/BLM you can have an exposed sidearm. Not on the pier at Santa Monica, of course!

I've been a backpacker since the 70's and carrying a pistol was an interesting decision, made far less so with a permit in the 90's.

I'd suggest you keep your pistol on your person at all times, no "it's in the knapsack if we need it". With kids, it should either be in a locked case in your Jeep or on your belt, nowhere else. A permit will make that simpler.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
No. Zero reason save personal insecurity.

Don't mess with a mother and her cubs at all. Individual bears are easy to scare away. I've chased even big male bears off just by waving my arms and yelling. Don't leave smellables accessible. Bears don't like loud noises, or anything that might put up a fight.

Don't be bite sized (dogs, small children) and alone during the witching hours (sunrise/sunset) for mountain lions. Mountain lions are apex, but rarely get all that close without some serious extenuating circumstances (fires, floods, disease).

DirtyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
That is hilarious! With a family there is EVERY reason to carry a firearm and get competent training beyond basic marksmanship. You, not the police or the government are responsible for safety and well being of your family. I carry everywhere I am legally able to and have since before my kids were born.

OP
OP
AEsco48

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur

Don't mess with a mother and her cubs at all. Individual bears are easy to scare away. I've chased even big male bears off just by waving my arms and yelling. Don't leave smellables accessible. Bears don't like loud noises, or anything that might put up a fight.

Don't be bite sized (dogs, small children) and alone during the witching hours (sunrise/sunset) for mountain lions. Mountain lions are apex, but rarely get all that close without some serious extenuating circumstances (fires, floods, disease).
I agree from a wildlife perspective, its significantly less of a concern. Its the few not so nice humans I am more concerned about.

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, I am new to the Denver area (moved here from MIami, FL).

(Please delete if this topic is not allowed)

As a family (wife and two kids under 3) we plan to do camping out in the woods away from any amenities; i think the term is "dispersed camping".
Question is should I consider carrying a firearm?

Two areas I am think are, protection from animals (i realize most animals are more afraid of us then we are of them), and worse is if we were to encounter someone upto no good/looking for trouble out in the middle of nowhere.

I realize gun safety is a very important point that would have to be evaluated, especially with the two kids.
Colorado is an open carry state. Enjoy your new found freedom.

BLK74

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pilot, Corvette
That is hilarious! With a family there is EVERY reason to carry a firearm and get competent training beyond basic marksmanship. You, not the police or the government are responsible for safety and well being of your family. I carry everywhere I am legally able to and have since before my kids were born.
Amen! I would add that it would be worthwhile to have your whole family learn about firearm safety. I have two daughters who love to go shooting with their dad.
Jeep Gladiator Carry a firearm while out in the woods? New to the Colorado area.... 2B40C67A-5DF6-4857-B047-1907583A0E41

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I carry, sometimes. Depends who I am with and if I intend to enjoy a few drinks.
Get your conceal carry for Colorado. Go to a reputable range and take the conceal carry course. It will come with range time etc. You will need to then go fill out the paper work and apply. Back log of about 3 months in Colorado at the moment. Get the training and do it right. Spend time at the range. Buy snap caps. Practice loading, clearing, dry firing til it is muscle memory. Your pistol should feel like a toothbrush in your hand.

On top of this: The animal rules apply. Do not leave food out. Do not mess with the wildlife. For the love of God, Buddha, Allah, all of them....don't feed the animals. Too many bears etc get put down because people feed them.

ColoradoGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
What are the rules for concealed carry permits in your jurisdiction?

For California, if you're in an RV it's considered a domicile, which is surprisingly sane. So, having a firearm in your "home" is OK.

If you're hunting or fishing in the national forest/BLM you can have an exposed sidearm. Not on the pier at Santa Monica, of course!

I've been a backpacker since the 70's and carrying a pistol was an interesting decision, made far less so with a permit in the 90's.

I'd suggest you keep your pistol on your person at all times, no "it's in the knapsack if we need it". With kids, it should either be in a locked case in your Jeep or on your belt, nowhere else. A permit will make that simpler.
Just keep in mind, you can not CC in a State Park without a CC permit...
Have fun!

Sponsored

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
You, my friend, need to start reading your state laws and become knowledgeable about them regarding the carry of guns. I know that there is a license to carry and a set of steps to follow, but I'm in Texas and quite frankly I don't care about Colorado law until the moment I plan to visit there, then I'll know what I can do and what I can't do.

Colorado has been flooded with liberals in the past decade, so it wouldn't surprise me if things have changed since the last time I visited there a few years ago. Something else you need to consider.....will you be stepping foot onto federal park land? If so, the rules change there most times as well. You need a detailed knowledge of the state laws so you can carry where you're allowed to, and not break the law.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
Wait 'til this guy learns that lots of us libruls own firearms and carry. The irony!
Yes, and wait until this guy learns that electing liberals to public office is the fastest way to lose your guns.

doc-ketamine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Yes, and wait until this guy learns that electing liberals to public office is the fastest way to lose your guns.
Edit: no politics allowed on the forums, so will refrain from engaging in political discussion. As should you.

CaptNkllm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I carry mine everywhere I go, as does the wife and both kids... if you havnt noticed that the mall or the grocery store is the wild now days... hope to never use it on anything that is alive but in the emergency need I want to have it just in case.. my kids was thought gun safety at those ages and now they carry...

something can happen in anyone’s back yard whether it’s lions, tiger or bears (oh my!!) or just a crazed idiot.

yes yes and yes.. and if you still doubt after you ask yourself again? Yes yes yes x2

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Since no one has really given a clear answer, as a newly ex-Colorado resident I’ll help out.

Colorado does not register or license firearms. The state constitution actually prohibits government agencies from maintaining a list of gun owners.

Colorado is an open carry state, with no license required. This means you can open carry anywhere *except* for the city and county of Denver, and of course anywhere weapons are prohibited. Read up on those locations. Businesses can ask you to leave if they don’t want you carrying inside (please don’t be a jerk about this, if someone asks you to leave just do it. Arguing makes us all look like nut jobs), but according to state law “no firearms allowed” signs put up by a business have no legal force.

Colorado considers your vehicle an extension of tour home and thus you may conceal inside your car without a permit.

To conceal outside of your home or vehicle you will need a concealed carry permit. These are issued by your county sheriff. You’ll need proof of firearms training and they’ll also fingerprint you and run a background check. They then have 90 days to issue you tour permit unless they find some reason you can’t have one.

Check out usacarry.com for a lot of additional details, and I highly suggest reading the specific laws about firearms in Colorado on the state government sites.
Sponsored