Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That thread on the Taco forum was pretty informative. I almost bought the KCs 4 times yesterday. The only thing stopping me is the little devil on my shoulder that says the Rigid 360 SAE selective yellow or the Baja Designs SAE fogs will have better output. I don't think Rigid Industries has a plug and play kit for the JT/JL like KC does, either. The price on the KCs is definitely more attractive than the others...
Sometimes there are reasons for that................
Sponsored

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Sometimes there are reasons for that................
Agreed 100%. The Tacoma guys are all over this stuff. The KCs are solid for sure but have less output than Rigid or Baja Designs. The Rigid 360 series are phenomenal. Baja Designs have serious potential but had some production issues meeting the SAE spec.

I don't even know if I will like selective yellow or amber fogs so I just ordered $10 worth of Lamin-x film to try out with the stock fogs. They will almost certainly have a greenish hue which will drive me nuts but at least I will know if I want to go all in and spend several hundred bucks on the real deal. If I don't like yellow fogs I am only out $10.

I'm pretty sure this little experiment is going to cost me at least $400, though. :swear::LOL:

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Baja Designs amber Squadron R - plug and play. They work extremely well for me. Hard to tell from my pics, but the BDs give me a much wider view and do not reflect back or glare at me in snow or fog, IME.

Pictures show lights installed; view with headlights; view with headlights and BD Squadrons.
5C4447EA-F013-4E28-AECA-2CBEAF5BA754.jpeg
0BE159DA-EB65-402F-8A37-8B6F0AEF6B6B.jpeg
DBD124B5-6CE9-413C-91A9-EB7D918FEE43.jpeg
I like those a lot! Are those the SAE compliant version or just regular Squadron - Rs?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed 100%. The Tacoma guys are all over this stuff. The KCs are solid for sure but have less output than Rigid or Baja Designs. The Rigid 360 series are phenomenal. Baja Designs have serious potential but had some production issues meeting the SAE spec.

I don't even know if I will like selective yellow or amber fogs so I just ordered $10 worth of Lamin-x film to try out with the stock fogs. They will almost certainly have a greenish hue which will drive me nuts but at least I will know if I want to go all in and spend several hundred bucks on the real deal. If I don't like yellow fogs I am only out $10.

I'm pretty sure this little experiment is going to cost me at least $400, though. :swear::LOL:
Many of us come from the days when you could buy fog lights to get that golly gee whiz you have fog lights, too cool, reaction.
Didn't matter that they didn't really help - we thought they did - because, well, WE bought and put them on so obviously they helped.
So much is in the mind. Like factory fog lights - they should cost a whole lot more of they were REALLY scientifically designed with the correct pattern and colors.
Like Daniel Stern says - "amber fog lights" are too often lights behind an amber lens. Junk.
(he's a real expert, years in the study and is a lighting consultant)

At least on the cheap you can experiment you can claim you tried first - if anyone believes it could be another matter HAHA

I don't really expect the factory fog lights to help me much - but I figured I could later go with real lights that will help because everything will be there. All I'll have to do is settle on good lights that fit the factory locations.
My goal - a vehicle that will be safe to drive on our roads in all conditions and help me avoid the critters that tend to travel in gangs, wait for you to get close and then attack by jumping out in front of you.
Last time that happened it cost me a right fender and headlights - and Bambi's Aunt Deer was 50 feet across the highway in someone's yard with her right hind leg pointing up....... no longer breathing. I was lucky - the fender stopped less than .125" shy of the windshield, the right door wouldn't open so I had to help my wife out by pulling sheet metal aside.

mfran12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
I installed amber Supernova V.4 bulbs in mine from Headlight Revolution. I've spent thousands on my Jeeps and these fogs are my #1 favorite mod. HUGE difference, especially in foul weather.
Did you need to use a Tazer to switch the computer settings to LED?

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Did you need to use a Tazer to switch the computer settings to LED?
Yep. But I already had one from my JL since I had 35" tires. The Tazer is a great investment.

Greg75

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, BMW M2 Competition, MBZ 560 SL, Ducati 851, Ducati 900 SS
I like those a lot! Are those the SAE compliant version or just regular Squadron - Rs?
They're fantastic...promise - Jeep JL, Sport/Sport-S, Squadron-R SAE, Fog Pocket Kits (Wide Cornering). Contact Paul McGrath at Baja Designs for questions. He is very easy to work with and knows his stuff.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
One other option I just stumbled upon are the Diode Dynamics SS3 pods. They can be had in an SAE compliant, selective yellow fog pattern. Output looks to be fantastic but they are pretty new to market and haven't been tested by 3rd parties yet. With 20% off for cyber Monday they can be had at pretty decent price.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss3-led-fog-light-kit-for-2020-jeep-gladiator.html

Also, I emailed Rigid Industries inquiring about Jeep specific mounting and wiring kits for the 360 Series SAE selective yellow fogs. I was informed a true plug and play kit would be available in January. I think the Rigids look fantastic and fit the aesthetics of the Jeep the best but they are already $449 without vehicle specific mounting brackets or wiring.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
They're fantastic...promise - Jeep JL, Sport/Sport-S, Squadron-R SAE, Fog Pocket Kits (Wide Cornering). Contact Paul McGrath at Baja Designs for questions. He is very easy to work with and knows his stuff.
What's the difference between the R and non-R SAE lights? Wouldn't mind having a set in place of my factory fogs and wired as such.

Greg75

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, BMW M2 Competition, MBZ 560 SL, Ducati 851, Ducati 900 SS
R SAE version is legal to run on the street, which I do whenever my headlights are on. I am blind in one eye and they help a ton--likely have saved a pedestrian or two in crosswalks to my left or right when turning. I have no idea whether there is any performance difference, though. Suggest asking BD (Paul McGrath). Certain you'll get a straight and informed answer from him.

Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
One other option I just stumbled upon are the Diode Dynamics SS3 pods. They can be had in an SAE compliant, selective yellow fog pattern. Output looks to be fantastic but they are pretty new to market and haven't been tested by 3rd parties yet. With 20% off for cyber Monday they can be had at pretty decent price.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/ss3-led-fog-light-kit-for-2020-jeep-gladiator.html
Doesn't look like a bad get. Especially at $200 with wiring, brackets, and all. Interesting that they don't offer anything for the steel bumper variant. Also, "extensively tested for moisture intrusion." Does this mean waterproof or...?

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
R SAE version is legal to run on the street, which I do whenever my headlights are on. I am blind in one eye and they help a ton--likely have saved a pedestrian or two in crosswalks to my left or right when turning. I have no idea whether there is any performance difference, though. Suggest asking BD (Paul McGrath). Certain you'll get a straight and informed answer from him.
Thanks! I'll have to give them a shout. I'm interested in something that I can run in my factory plastic Rubicon bumper but transfer over to whichever aftermarket metal one I choose later on. I like the aesthetic of the Baja Design. I've been a fan of yellow lights' function for a while. Lots of dust out here by me...

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
Doesn't look like a bad get. Especially at $200 with wiring, brackets, and all. Interesting that they don't offer anything for the steel bumper variant. Also, "extensively tested for moisture intrusion." Does this mean waterproof or...?
Screenshot_20191210-022247_Samsung Internet.jpg

IP67

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Thanks! I'll have to give them a shout. I'm interested in something that I can run in my factory plastic Rubicon bumper but transfer over to whichever aftermarket metal one I choose later on. I like the aesthetic of the Baja Design. I've been a fan of yellow lights' function for a while. Lots of dust out here by me...
For what it's worth, most of the aftermarket bumpers I have looked into are compatible with the fog lights form the plastic Rubicon/Overland stock bumper. I guess logic must be if you ponied up for the Mopar steel bumper you probably aren't looking for an aftermarket bumper?

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
Perfect!

For what it's worth, most of the aftermarket bumpers I have looked into are compatible with the fog lights form the plastic Rubicon/Overland stock bumper. I guess logic must be if you ponied up for the Mopar steel bumper you probably aren't looking for an aftermarket bumper?
Good to know. I couldn't justify the coin for the Mopar one when I was speccing my JT - especially with it requiring the LED package. Turns into an expensive bumper quick.
Sponsored