Check Engine Light

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
My check engine light was for a oil change.
What? CELs don't come for oil changes.

Most vehicles have a Maintenance Required light that comes on when items need attention such as oil change or a note pops up in the info center
Sponsored

OP
OP
Crazy Jeep

Crazy Jeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Thats where my dealership ended up too now, I picked mine back up today so I’m sure it’ll come back on again in a week or two, they say possibly something in the software but it’s so new it’s a learning curve for them. I’d hate for this to keep happening and have to go the lemon law route.
My check engine light came back on again yesterday. I will be dropping it off at the dealer again today. Hopefully this time it will not take 2 weeks just to look at it.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
My check engine light came back on again yesterday. I will be dropping it off at the dealer again today. Hopefully this time it will not take 2 weeks just to look at it.
Sorry to hear that. You have any dust source like a dirt road?

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
We need a indicator lights instead of gauges said no one ever.

Let's make it so dealerships are only option for service said no one ever.

Let's throw all parts Jeep's in a heap and only sell new ones said no one ever.

00190c853625fc32850757b5e6acc8ca.jpg
The patina on this truck though... #drool

Is it a Dodge Power Wagon from the mid to late 50s?

Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
You guys really should invest in an OBDII reader - they are not that expensive anymore... It is easier to check it yourself and then you can figure out the best way to diagnose it later at the dealership.
+1 on this. super cheap.

Although... I thought I saw somewhere that the dash can show you codes or "messages" ? or maybe the uconnect headunit? now I need to look it up... (needs verification)

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
+1 on this. super cheap.

Although... I thought I saw somewhere that the dash can show you codes or "messages" ? or maybe the uconnect headunit? now I need to look it up... (needs verification)
I agree, but in a pitch O’Reilly, Autozone, etc will let you use their device to check codes for free. Just ask and they will even tell you the code issue that’s in error.

OP
OP
Crazy Jeep

Crazy Jeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
You guys really should invest in an OBDII reader - they are not that expensive anymore... It is easier to check it yourself and then you can figure out the best way to diagnose it later at the dealership.
Thanks for the advice. I do know what the error code is (P0300 random misfire). The engine runs just fine so they are not sure why it is giving the misfire code.

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Thanks for the advice. I do know what the error code is (P0300 random misfire). The engine runs just fine so they are not sure why it is giving the misfire code.
Oh I didn't know you knew the code. Wow, that seems like a pretty generic error code. A quick search for me gave me this - not sure if it will be helpful but here it is:

"A random misfire means your engine is misfiring, but that the problem is not isolated to one or two cylinders. It is jumping around in a random way from one cylinder to another. A random misfire code usually means the air/fuel mixture is running lean. But the cause might be anything from a hard-to-find vacuum leak to dirty fuel injectors, low fuel pressure, a weak ignition coil, bad plug wires, or compression problems. Even a dirty MAF sensor can cause a lean code and/or misfire to occur. The engine may be stalling because it isn’t getting enough throttle opening. The cause is often a problem in the idle air control system. The first thing to check is the intake vacuum with a vacuum gauge. On most vehicles a normal reading is 17 to 21 inches Hg. If the needle is lower, is jumping up and down or steadily dropping, you have a vacuum problem. Look for possible vacuum leaks by checking vacuum hose connections, the throttle body and manifold, and PVC valve and plumbing. An EGR valve that is leaking can also act like a vacuum leak and cause a random misfire. The next thing you should check is the fuel pressure with a gauge. If it is not within specifications (refer to a service manual for specifics because fuel pressure is critical for proper engine performance), the problem may be a weak fuel pump, low voltage to the pump (check the relay and wiring), or obstructions in the fuel line (like a plugged filter). A bad fuel pressure relay can also leak pressure and prevent an otherwise good fuel pump from delivering full pressure to the injectors. Dirty injectors can also restrict fuel delivery and cause a lean fuel condition. Many regular grades of gasoline do not contain adequate levels of detergent to keep the injectors clean. Frequent short trip driving accelerates the buildup of injector deposits. Cleaning the injectors with a good quality fuel tank additive (or having them professionally cleaned) can solve this problem. Look at short term fuel trim (STFT) and long term fuel trim (LTFT) with your AutoTap Express DIY. If the numbers are high, it tells you the engine is running lean."

You definitely should have the dealer diagnose this as it is so new. After reading this I am not sure if I would ignore it and if it is the fuel cap issue then you are lucky, considering what this code covers.

Sponsored

JT614

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Overland '14 JGC Summit '04 TJ Rubi
Vehicle Showcase

You definitely should have the dealer diagnose this as it is so new. After reading this I am not sure if I would ignore it and if it is the fuel cap issue then you are lucky, considering what this code covers.
I'm amazed at how many times I've tightened a fuel cap across my different vehicles to remove a random code like this :fingerscrossed:

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
I hate P0300s...... such a non-specific PITA..... kinda like a 2 yr old whining I don't feel good mommy....

smess

You should look in to the lemon law, if I remember correctly if the vehicle visits the dealer for the same problem and it is there for a Total of 30 days or more it qualifies as a lemon. Manufacturers have to pay in money to the lemon law program so they rarely argue when a claim is made they just buy it back and give you a new one. I did it with two Mercedes in the same year. I learned after the first one that they look at the date brought in and the date left, they did not take in to consideration it sat and was not looked at for days. The second car it happened to I would drop it off and tell them no rush I have other cars I can drive at home. It ended up that Mercedes had a problem with the fuel pump on the AMG cars and both cars had the same fuel pump because they were the same motor and same time period built. I didn't have to hire an attorney, one call to Benz Corporate and return call was to tell me they looked at service records and to come pick out my new car and they were coming to pick up old one on a tow truck.

Not sure its that easy with Chrysler but I learned that if they are challenged and found at fault whatever premium they have to pay in to the lemon law program increases for them so they would rather take a car back and figure the problem out and then auction it then pay the premium for the lost challenge.

You might qualify for this after the next visit since it was there so many days last time. Things might be different these days, this was over ten years ago. All I can say is drop it off and don't mention lemon and don't rush them to get it back. If you got one of those cars with a gremlin running around you might be better off in the long run with a new one.

Read that literature they give you at the time of sale, it was very simple and straight forward. Didn't even need a lawyer to interpret it, I understood exactly what it said. It was that simple.

smess

BAD FUEL

In addition to my last post, I have had the check engine light come on during summer months from condensation in fuel. I can't remember what code it throws for that but make sure you are not using the same gas station. Seems like your codes were far enough apart that I doubt it was bad fuel more than one time.

Code readers are really cheap and run on bluetooth from smartphones. Every Jeep owner should have one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jalmeida1991

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Well I had a good run, about 700 miles passed since the last light but mine came back on again this morning, so back to the dealership tomorrow for the third time it is. Did they ever figure yours out?
Sponsored