First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
  • Banned
Good Morning all,

So a couple of weeks ago I installed a Rubicon take-off suspension and the other day with my windows down I noticed a clunk noise when I went over a bump in a parking lot. Today I was getting into the truck and it did it again. Its coming from the drivers rear and I can get it to replicate with just pushing down on the rear bumper. I'm sure its something simple, that damn boot that the spring sits in I had a hell of a time on both sides trying to get it to stay in place when I swapped them. My question is, is this something I need to make sure I address immediately, or is it okay to wait till the weekend when I have free time? I don't want to break anything else, but I also don't want to turn wrenches after a long days work if I don't have to. Video attached with phone sitting under the truck and me pressing down on the left rear bumper.
Sponsored

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
Good Morning all,

So a couple of weeks ago I installed a Rubicon take-off suspension and the other day with my windows down I noticed a clunk noise when I went over a bump in a parking lot. Today I was getting into the truck and it did it again. Its coming from the drivers rear and I can get it to replicate with just pushing down on the rear bumper. I'm sure its something simple, that damn boot that the spring sits in I had a hell of a time on both sides trying to get it to stay in place when I swapped them. My question is, is this something I need to make sure I address immediately, or is it okay to wait till the weekend when I have free time? I don't want to break anything else, but I also don't want to turn wrenches after a long days work if I don't have to. Video attached with phone sitting under the truck and me pressing down on the left rear bumper.
That's definitely more than I would be willing to ignore. Sounds like way too substantial of a pop to be something unimportant. Something's got to be loose or parts making contact somewhere or something.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Is your rear track bar tightened? I had a similar clunk from the same drivers side rear area and it was my track bar where it mounted to the rear axle that I forgotten to torque to spec.

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employeed
I agree, I would take the time and go around every bolt in that area that you touched. It should be many. Look for contact marks. Check torque.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BamaJeepTruck

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'll make sure I address it this evening. Ill report back what it was for curious minds, and anyone else that might run into this in the future. Y'all kick ass!

OP
OP
BamaJeepTruck

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Is your rear track bar tightened? I had a similar clunk from the same drivers side rear area and it was my track bar where it mounted to the rear axle that I forgotten to torque to spec.
Ding ding ding!! Looks like you are correct sir, I didn't tighten one bolt. I went out and crawled under the truck to check and sure enough its the sway bar links.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Ding ding ding!! Looks like you are correct sir, I didn't tighten one bolt. I went out and crawled under the truck to check and sure enough its the sway bar links.
Rear track bar is something different but regardless, you found the problem anyways.

OP
OP
BamaJeepTruck

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rear track bar is something different but regardless, you found the problem anyways.
Forgive me, my first vehicle that isn't IRS lol. I appreciate your help! It amazes me how quickly people here are to reply with useful info. A breath of fresh air from the Cobra forums I'm used to.

Sponsored

Rubiwoo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employeed
glad you found it.

Fluffhead

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck driver
Good Morning all,

How’s it going. Just curious how you like the rubicon suspension? I’m looking to do the same here soon. Did it give you any lift? Difference in the ride? And do you know the spring numbers by chance? Thanks

OP
OP
BamaJeepTruck

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How’s it going. Just curious how you like the rubicon suspension? I’m looking to do the same here soon. Did it give you any lift? Difference in the ride? And do you know the spring numbers by chance? Thanks
I am very happy with it. It did raise me almost 2 inches. I installed it, drove around for about an hour then measured. I think it rides better, smoother. For the money I don't think you can go wrong so long as you don't plan on a lift later. If you do then just wait and put the money towards that, but I don't plan on it.

2 minutes in the garage last night fixed that noise BTW.

Jeep Gladiator Clunk after Rubicon take off swap ride height

That is also when I added my MOPAR steel bumper so It might have been more. For reference mine came off a Diesel.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
You can see the loose bolt on sway bar link moving back and forth. Almost looked like your sway bar was hitting the exhaust pipe but just perspective I guess. Glad ya got it, how is the ride, I understand that the diesels hav emuch heavier front springs on account of the heavy engine.......Jack

OP
OP
BamaJeepTruck

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can see the loose bolt on sway bar link moving back and forth. Almost looked like your sway bar was hitting the exhaust pipe but just perspective I guess. Glad ya got it, how is the ride, I understand that the diesels hav emuch heavier front springs on account of the heavy engine.......Jack
It was just perspective with the exhaust. I'm glad it was an easy fix as well, just my own brain fart in not tightening it with an allen key to hold the bolt while the nut is turned. The ride is great, my driveway is 1/4 mile long and has some deep rust from rain runoff that I haven't fixed yet and it just soaks it all up. Much better than the stock Sport suspension. I of course have no idea how a gas rubi suspension would compare. From a value standpoint I don't think you could beat it. I initially was going to get Fox 2.0 shocks but I got shocks and springs for the cost of 1.5 shocks new and that wouldn't have lifted it at all.
Sponsored