First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘81 CJ-5, ‘05 LJ, ‘21 JTRD
Occupation
Architect
How many Ridgeline owners just dropped a grand on more parts this evening?

Probably the same number as the of number times a little kid comes up to them in a parking lot and says “Cool Honda!”
Sponsored

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
I think the problem here is the differentiation between CUV which for years was more related to a car than a truck and a proper SUV which is basically a truck with a different frame. The Ridgeline is CUV underpinnings and has similar performance to the Passport (i.e. similar payload and towing) that basically makes it a revised Passport with a bed.

The Gladiator is very like it's related Wrangler but has a much better payload and much better towing than its brethren like any other pickup.

I'm not one who is going to argue that the Ridgeline isn't a truck, but it's very clearly the only vehicle in the midsize or up segment that misses very traditional truck pieces like true part-time 4wd and towing capability.
Again my question is if traditional trucks are part time 4WD what are 2WD trucks? Cars?

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic

Probably the same number as the of number times a little kid comes up to them in a parking lot and says “Cool Honda!”

Not that I would ever take a Ridgeline off-road but they do make aftermarket parts. A new one that just came out is a aftermarket "front locker" applied via brakes. I would spend my money elsewhere for a JK etc but people love to do weird things. The video is actually fairly impressive for not being a locker.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Between the guitars and the guns....I can barely hear now.
I'm actually surprised my hearing is still really good despite years of being around racecars.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Again my question is if traditional trucks are part time 4WD what are 2WD trucks? Cars?
Rear wheel drive. Again, Ridgeline is the exception.

The Maverick and Hyundai are what the Ridgeline should have been. Instead you have the worst "truck stuff" pickup in the segment with only slightly better gas mileage. It's great at the car/CUV cushy ride and easy handling and good view over the hood things that CR loves to rate for it's geriatric audience but the reality is it sucks for towing, hauling, or off roading compared to its competitors.

And again, that's fine because most don't need that. IMO it just doesn't fit in a comparison to other traditional body on frame, RWD/4WD pickups.

Sponsored

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic

The Maverick and Hyundai are what the Ridgeline should have been. Instead you have the worst "truck stuff" pickup in the segment with only slightly better gas mileage. It's great at the car/CUV cushy ride and easy handling and good view over the hood things that CR loves to rate for it's geriatric audience but the reality is it sucks for towing, hauling, or off roading compared to its competitors.

And again, that's fine because most don't need that. IMO it just doesn't fit in a comparison to other traditional body on frame, RWD/4WD pickups.
So a 2wd pickup is not a truck either way you slice it then. The only problem I have with the Ridgeline is price. Otherwise it’s bigger, longer, and wider then the Santa Cruz and Maverick. So more space to haul stuff and put passengers. Plus way more space to store things. Though the Santa Cruz and Maverick can be priced out at 40k also. And how is the Ridgeline the worst pickup at doing pickup things? 1500 pounds in the bed is bad?? Towing 5k is bad? Those are all perfect and Almost the same as all midsize pickups except the towing.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
The three things that make a midsize pickup better than an AWD minivan are towing, ground clearance, and 4WD. The Ridgeline is worst in all of them and closer to an Odyssey than any other midsize. The things that have traditionally defined a pickup are a body on frame, separate cab and bed, and primary rear wheel drive. It's the same reason the El Camino isn't a pickup though it's closer to the traditional definition than a Ridgeline.

As for what defines a pickup, I have no idea where your logic train is going so I'm just going to get off.

Last edited:

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
The three things that make a midsize pickup better than an AWD minivan are towing, ground clearance, and 4WD. The Ridgeline is worst in all of them and closer to an Odyssey than any other midsize. The things that have traditionally defined a pickup are a body on frame, separate cab and bed, and primary rear wheel drive. It's the same reason the El Camino isn't a pickup though it's closer to the traditional definition than a Ridgeline.
As for what defines a pickup, I have no idea where your logic train is going so I'm just going to get off.
My logic? Lets look at yours. So your a saying a Ford van can be considered a truck if it has towing, ground clearance, and 4WD which the old school Ford vans do. That makes no sense it's a van not a truck. And lets talk about a base Tacoma, Canyon, or Colorado which doesn't have good clearance nor good towing capability or cooling. And by your criteria a 2WD pickup doesn't meet that criteria either. You have completely lost me. And how much clearance is needed to be considered a pickup? 9 inches? 10? 11? How about a base Gladiator that only tows 4000. So I guess that's even worse then the Ridgeline. You got some awesome logic don't you. And I don't think you want to be hauling 7000 pounds with any midsize pick up. Can you sure but not something you want to do routinely. A full size would be much better at that full time. Who know the Gladiator base model can't be considered a truck??? It tows less then a Ridgeline!!! Making it worst in class! Ya, that argument is stupid Gladiator is a truck.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
My logic? Lets look at yours. So your a saying a Ford van can be considered a truck if it has towing, ground clearance, and 4WD which the old school Ford vans do. That makes no sense it's a van not a truck. And lets talk about a base Tacoma, Canyon, or Colorado which doesn't have good clearance nor good towing capability or cooling. And by your criteria a 2WD pickup doesn't meet that criteria either. You have completely lost me. And how much clearance is needed to be considered a pickup? 9 inches? 10? 11? How about a base Gladiator that only tows 4000. So I guess that's even worse then the Ridgeline. You got some awesome logic don't you. And I don't think you want to be hauling 7000 pounds with any midsize pick up. Can you sure but not something you want to do routinely. A full size would be much better at that full time. Who know the Gladiator base model can't be considered a truck??? It tows less then a Ridgeline!!! Making it worst in class! Ya, that argument is stupid Gladiator is a truck.
You cannot logic someone out of a position they did not use logic to arrive at in the first place. My gladiator (manual mojave) has less towing ability than a honda ridgeline. If you asked LostWoods if that makes my gladiator less of a truck than a ridgeline he'd come up with some convoluted excuse to explain why those goalposts are moving again. He doesn't want the ridgeline to be a truck because it feels 'icky' to him.

It's pretty simple.
Truck: Tall vehicle with a bed
Ute: Short vehicle with a bed

The Ridgeline and the Santa Cruz are both trucks. Would I drive either one? No thanks. The Maverick is a truck. Would i drive one? A base model 22k fwd hybrid with copilot? absolutely. a 30k+ non-hybrid awd "might as well have bought a ranger" model? You can miss me with that.

As for utes, I think the US only ever got the el camino, ranchero, brat, and baja. Would have loved to have seen a G8ST GXP had pontiac not been a sacrificial lamb to the failures of 2008. The HSV Maloo was a beast and seeing a version stateside would have made me happy.

Edit: For bonus points LostWoods, please explain why a HUMMER H2 SUT is more of a truck than a Ridgeline. Let me throw out the first stat: the H2 SUT has a less than 3 foot bed.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
You cannot logic someone out of a position they did not use logic to arrive at in the first place. My gladiator (manual mojave) has less towing ability than a honda ridgeline. If you asked @LostWoods if that makes my gladiator less of a truck than a ridgeline he'd come up with some convoluted excuse to explain why those goalposts are moving again. He doesn't want the ridgeline to be a truck because it feels 'icky' to him.

It's pretty simple.

The Ridgeline and the Santa Cruz are both trucks. Would I drive either one? No thanks. The Maverick is a truck. Would i drive one? A base model 22k fwd hybrid with copilot? absolutely. a 30k+ non-hybrid awd "might as well have bought a ranger" model? You can miss me with that.

As for utes, I think the US only ever got the el camino, ranchero, brat, and baja. Would have loved to have seen a G8ST GXP had pontiac not been a sacrificial lamb to the failures of 2008. The HSV Maloo was a beast and seeing a version stateside would have made me happy.
Ha ha, can’t agree more! Ya, a UTE could be a better term. I agree the Maverick is attractive in the 20k range just a shame they are so hard to find. The Ranger is fairly nice just wish the updated model would be here soon. And they aren’t discounting those either post Covid when you used to be able to get 7k off of them.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
You cannot logic someone out of a position they did not use logic to arrive at in the first place. My gladiator (manual mojave) has less towing ability than a honda ridgeline. If you asked LostWoods if that makes my gladiator less of a truck than a ridgeline he'd come up with some convoluted excuse to explain why those goalposts are moving again. He doesn't want the ridgeline to be a truck because it feels 'icky' to him.

It's pretty simple.

Edit: For bonus points LostWoods, please explain why a HUMMER H2 SUT is more of a truck than a Ridgeline. Let me throw out the first stat: the H2 SUT has a less than 3 foot bed.
I'm not one who is going to argue that the Ridgeline isn't a truck
Making things big and bold helps toddlers read so maybe it'll work here.

Can you pull this stick out of your collective asses and stop looking for a fight? The Ridgeline is not a traditional truck so it's stupid to compare it to a traditional truck. That's all I'm arguing here. If this is the way forward I completely welcome it as long as I can still have my traditional trucks for off-road fun that the Ridgeline and Maverick and any other CUV-based pickup is going to suck at.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)

I'm geriatric (73) and I've owned and driven since 1968 Jeeps, Isuzu Troopers, and Tacomas, and have a JTR on a train right now. We have a Subaru Forester for that, and a great car in the snow and ice by the way.

JsnJcksn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport

It happens, but they are talking to the Civic Type R owner parked next to the Ridgeline. :)

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Read your post and the first thing I thought of is some sort of a cheat code for a super nintendo game lol

Up, down, up, down, left, right, A, B, A.

Back to the thread discussion.
Up down left right abc start was said code lol
Naw, y’all are rookies.

Contra was up, up, down, down, left, right, left , right, B, A, start.

For me, since I had friends, it was “…A, Select, Start”. This was for a 2-player.

;)

Yeah, I didn’t think I’d ever own just any midsize truck. It was either a JLU, JT, or a dodge.

JT was best of both worlds.

Last edited:

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Someone did import a newer Holden Ute in WA and had it for sale a few years ago. I saw it listed for the low price of $48k with ~50k miles or something like that. Green.
Sponsored