Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Some will tell you that anything less than a 3/4 ton with an 8ft bed isn't a truck. Some will call the El Camino a truck. The reality is that times change and the Ridgeline/Maverick/etc. are just the next iteration of "truck". They don't meet the traditional criteria we all think of as a truck but for 90% of the population they serve the same purpose of carrying people to the mall that trucks have become.
When I think of "Gladiator" I think Jeep or 4X4, not truck necessarily.
Sponsored

LowAltitude

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator High Altitude
I need a “truck” for work, just to move materials to job sites a few times a week. I was super excited to let go of the 3/4 Sierra for the ability to put the top down and enjoy the air. I would never buy a Ridgeline, and I’m guessing the guy in a Ridgeline would never buy a Gladiator. Different strokes for different folks!

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I mean that's pretty much the reason most buy them because feature to feature, it's not great compared to the competition... there's just nothing else that is a Jeep.

But the truck aspect is what drew me to it. My dream vehicle is a 79 but we'll never see those in the US... this is probably as close as I'll get.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Some of the arguments here on what constitutes a truck are pretty funny.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
In fairness the gladiator isn’t a truck either. It’s also based off a SUV so your argument is dumb. I love this whole argument as to what’s a truck and not. How do you explain the amazing sales of the Maverick or Santa Cruz. Those are flying off the shelves faster then the Gladiator. If 4wd determines the worthiness of a real truck what do you say about 2wd trucks? Didn’t think about that one did you? I’d take AWD all day over a 2wd truck.
Actually, it's based off the RAM. Only the cabin is based off something else. The frame, suspension, links and more - RAM truck stuff.

Sales have zip to do with it being a truck or not. Jeeps of this design are a niche market and would never sell to a Ford or typical foreign name buyer.

Sponsored

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Actually, it's based off the RAM. Only the cabin is based off something else. The frame, suspension, links and more - RAM truck stuff.

Sales have zip to do with it being a truck or not. Jeeps of this design are a niche market and would never sell to a Ford or typical foreign name buyer.
who said anything about sales meaning a truck or not ha ha? I simply said the Maverick is selling like hotcakes. And I was interested in one.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
who said anything about sales meaning a truck or not ha ha? I simply said the Maverick is selling like hotcakes. And I was interested in one.
You were implying..........
and why do we care about Maverick sales in the section called "General Gladiator Topics" ?

If you want one, go get one.

The rest of us will enjoy our Jeep trucks that we use for hauling, towing, transporting stuff.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I'm not trusting the opinion of any publication that thinks a Ridgline is a truck, let alone a good one

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
You were implying..........
and why do we care about Maverick sales in the section called "General Gladiator Topics" ?

If you want one, go get one.

The rest of us will enjoy our Jeep trucks that we use for hauling, towing, transporting stuff.
Typical comment from you and ignorance. Thanks for telling me what I was implying and reading my mind! You could make a lot of money with that pal!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Go back and read your other posts - this comment here had no place in that post other than to suggest those are trucks because they are flying off the shelves.
Otherwise, why even mention it in a discussion about Gladiator reviews or the JT being a real truck or not. It was comparing and using sales to make a point. It had no other reason in the context of your comments. You could have left it out.

>> I love this whole argument as to what’s a truck and not. How do you explain the amazing sales of the Maverick or Santa Cruz.<<

So the sales are great because they are trucks?
I'd be willing to bet at least one or two others saw it that way.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I got the same impression so you're not the only one. Dude is flying off the handle at every little comment.
LOL - I have a medical excuse for my bad behavior.... I try real hard to control it - because I KNOW the cause.
I know and admit - I'm a real butt-head at times. Not intentional.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Ha ha, can’t agree more! Ya, a UTE could be a better term. I agree the Maverick is attractive in the 20k range just a shame they are so hard to find. The Ranger is fairly nice just wish the updated model would be here soon. And they aren’t discounting those either post Covid when you used to be able to get 7k off of them.
LOL - I have a medical excuse for my bad behavior.... I try real hard to control it - because I KNOW the cause.
I've been reading your stuff since January and you stay mainly focused on the thread and I don't remember a "butt head" comment, but I'm old too.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Go back and read your other posts - this comment here had no place in that post other than to suggest those are trucks because they are flying off the shelves.
Otherwise, why even mention it in a discussion about Gladiator reviews or the JT being a real truck or not. It was comparing and using sales to make a point. It had no other reason in the context of your comments. You could have left it out.

>> I love this whole argument as to what’s a truck and not. How do you explain the amazing sales of the Maverick or Santa Cruz.<<

So the sales are great because they are trucks?
I'd be willing to bet at least one or two others saw it that way.
I’ve owned a Gladiator and a Ridgeline and was simply giving my thoughts on them both. I said I originally wanted a Maverick since it’s built similar to the Ridgeline. But availability and price made it difficult to buy one as they are flying off the shelves. Which someone asked if there selling more then the Gladiator. I said probably not in volume but availability yes. I know it’s hard to read at your old age but does provide context.

DirkG

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
I’ve owned a Gladiator and a Ridgeline and was simply giving my thoughts on them both. I said I originally wanted a Maverick since it’s built similar to the Ridgeline. But availability and price made it difficult to buy one as they are flying off the shelves. Which someone asked if there selling more then the Gladiator. I said probably not in volume but availability yes. I know it’s hard to read at your old age but does provide context.
Yes, let's throw out insults to one of our respected, senior board members. Who the f%ck cares what you think about a Ridgeline or a f%cking Maverick. Nobody cares. We all (for the most part) drive Gladiators so who the f%ck cares whether it's a true truck or not. Just drive your damn truck the way you want and if you want a f%cking Maverick, go down to your exotic Albuquerque Ford dealership and order one.
Sponsored