Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
Kind of good timing, just got out of the store and got into a conversation with a nice guy driving a Ridgeline, who flagged me down to say nice truck.

He mentioned he wanted a Gladiator but the Ridgeline was what he found at the time when he was shopping. I'm guessing there are probably a significant number of people in that category.
Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Someone did import a newer Holden Ute in WA and had it for sale a few years ago. I saw it listed for the low price of $48k with ~50k miles or something like that. Green.
Yea i saw one in ocean city maryland one year at one of their many car weekends. Holden Maloos are cool, but HSV Maloos make me drool.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Someone did import a newer Holden Ute in WA and had it for sale a few years ago. I saw it listed for the low price of $48k with ~50k miles or something like that. Green.
Most of if not all of those so called Holden UTE's here in the USA are body conversions from either late model Chevy Caprice or Pontiac G8's which were GM Holden imports to the USA.

Last edited:

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Most of not all of those so called Holden UTE's here in the USA are body conversions from either late model Chevy Caprice or Pontiac G8's which were GM Holden imports to the USA.
That's fine with me. The G8ST was just gonna be a rebadged Maloo anyway, with the GXP version being the HSV equivalent.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
That's fine with me. The G8ST was just gonna be a rebadged Maloo anyway, with the GXP version being the HSV equivalent.
There is a small cottage industry here of a few people either importing in actual fully built Aussie spec Holden UTE's which are not DOT or EPA approved and title washing them with salvaged G8 or Caprice titles or doing partial body conversions using the same vehicle donors.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Most of not all of those so called Holden UTE's here in the USA are body conversions from either late model Chevy Caprice or Pontiac G8's which were GM Holden imports to the USA.
Exactly. That's the only legal way to do it. You can't import a car legally that is less than 25 years old unless it passes US safety standards and EPA regulations. So if it wasn't sold here in exactly the same form, you can't import it yet, even though the holdens are almost the same.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I was way off... found it in the Wayback Machine. https://web.archive.org/web/2018072....org/sno/cto/d/holden-ute-ssv/6607865737.html

2010 Holden Commodore Ute SSV, VE Series 1.
Imported to the U.S and converted to left hand drive by Left Hand Utes.
HSV Walkinshaw Steering wheel
L76 6.0 engine & 6L80e trans.
TSP Stage 3 LS3 Cam
TSP dual springs
TSP Trunion upgrade
TSP chromolly pushrods
TSP DOD delete
VCM OTR intake
X force series 7 stainless headers
X force series 7 stainless exhaust
X force Varex mufflers
Circle D Specialties 3200 stall converter.
Pat G tune
G8Only 4 piston Brembo brake upgrade kit color matched to the car.
CTSV-2 wheels
Car was recently repainted. It is still the factory color.
Mylar clear bra added to front bumper, front of the hood, mirrors, and door handles.
Drove her from Washington to Vegas and back without any issues, I daily her in the summer.
Price is negotiable.
No low ballers
No trades
Sold as is
Price is $60,000 OBO.

shokker70

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail
I'd like to know how many of us actually "shop" for a vehicle. To me, shopping is trying to find the best price/deal. I have never sat down and researched vehicles to figure out what I wanted. For years I drive Chevy trucks. Started selling CJD and moved to Dodge trucks. Now I won't own anything that's not a Gladiator or Wrangler. Brand loyalty? I guess if you wanna call it that. I just like what I like, so that's what I get.

Ridgeline a truck? Sure, by definition. My opinion? Nope. Car with a bed on it. Kind of like the Titan. Sure, it's a truck, but I'd never own one.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I'd like to know how many of us actually "shop" for a vehicle. To me, shopping is trying to find the best price/deal. I have never sat down and researched vehicles to figure out what I wanted. For years I drive Chevy trucks. Started selling CJD and moved to Dodge trucks. Now I won't own anything that's not a Gladiator or Wrangler. Brand loyalty? I guess if you wanna call it that. I just like what I like, so that's what I get.

Ridgeline a truck? Sure, by definition. My opinion? Nope. Car with a bed on it. Kind of like the Titan. Sure, it's a truck, but I'd never own one.
I was told the other day that my gladiator isn't a real truck. I'm sure many people have that opinion as well. When pressed as to why, I was told "I guess, kinda, I mean it has a storage area in the back". This was from a good friend and respected professional independent auto mechanic. I guess everyone has an opinion.

We were talking about trucks available with a manual, because he has an 05 Silverado with a manual. He says he was looking at a Tacoma, because he said it was the only one you could get with a manual still. I mentioned the gladiator. He says, yes but that's not a real truck.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Some will tell you that anything less than a 3/4 ton with an 8ft bed isn't a truck. Some will call the El Camino a truck. The reality is that times change and the Ridgeline/Maverick/etc. are just the next iteration of "truck". They don't meet the traditional criteria we all think of as a truck but for 90% of the population they serve the same purpose of carrying people to the mall that trucks have become.

Sponsored

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
i think it is funny how these consumer reviews state all the features that make it unique as the features people complain about the most. Granted the steering is what they say it is but wind noise and creature comforts that may be less because of it are laughable. Look at the resale value of any jeep ever made and it still sells higher that the Ridgeline will ever resale for. That speaks volumes. They resell high because people want them and that wnat is not based on a major publication puff piece. On top of that a Ridgeline of all the truck a ridgeline. That's barely a truck . Arguable the Gladiator is barely a truck but its a Jeep with a truck bed. Something many Jeep lovers have always wanted. People who drive Honda accords or civics do not turn to the ridgeline when they decide they want a truck.

OP
OP
Saharacane

Saharacane

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Dog Dad
i think it is funny how these consumer reviews state all the features that make it unique as the features people complain about the most. Granted the steering is what they say it is but wind noise and creature comforts that may be less because of it are laughable. Look at the resale value of any jeep ever made and it still sells higher that the Ridgeline will ever resale for. That speaks volumes. They resell high because people want them and that wnat is not based on a major publication puff piece. On top of that a Ridgeline of all the truck a ridgeline. That's barely a truck . Arguable the Gladiator is barely a truck but its a Jeep with a truck bed. Something many Jeep lovers have always wanted. People who drive Honda accords or civics do not turn to the ridgeline when they decide they want a truck.
Absolutely 100%! I was talking to a co-worker of mine yesterday and I told her about this thread. She LOVES Hondas....she had an Accord she kept for 200K+ miles and now has a new Civic. When I mentioned Ridgeline, she said, "Ewwww. I hate the Ridgeline. They are so ugly. If I ever wanted a truck, I would get a real one!" :LOL:

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_truck

A pickup truck or pickup is a light-duty truck that has an enclosed cabin and an open cargo area with low sides and tailgate.[1] In Australia and New Zealand, both pickups and coupé utilities are called utes, short for utility vehicle.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Kind of good timing, just got out of the store and got into a conversation with a nice guy driving a Ridgeline, who flagged me down to say nice truck.

He mentioned he wanted a Gladiator but the Ridgeline was what he found at the time when he was shopping. I'm guessing there are probably a significant number of people in that category.
You mean not too discriminating?

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I was told the other day that my gladiator isn't a real truck. I'm sure many people have that opinion as well. When pressed as to why, I was told "I guess, kinda, I mean it has a storage area in the back". This was from a good friend and respected professional independent auto mechanic. I guess everyone has an opinion.

We were talking about trucks available with a manual, because he has an 05 Silverado with a manual. He says he was looking at a Tacoma, because he said it was the only one you could get with a manual still. I mentioned the gladiator. He says, yes but that's not a real truck.
As a former owner of five Tacomas - the Gladiator is just as much a truck as a Tacoma, and a much better off-road vehicle (at least the Rubicon). I guess that's just my $0.2
Sponsored