First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Engineering
Looking to get a Gladiator and do a Dana 60 conversion from Danatrac.

If I were already switching the fenders out, what would be the downsides of a Sport S vs Rubicon?

Low range ratio and ????

Thanks! -Kyle
Sponsored

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Front and Rear electronic lockers

Front sway bar disconnect

Rock rails

Skids

4.10 gears (as you said - but you can get these with max tow)

Related point, in a separate thread I'm chatting with folks about getting the RCV Dana 44s, which have the same strength as Dana 60s with RCV vs Ujoint. Something to consider, regardless of the Rubicon vs Sport question.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Really the only bonuses over the trim level differences in cabin is the 4:1 transfer and the E-lockers. Anything else can be added after the fact.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Buy used, IMO the only advantage of the Rubicon for what you plan to do is the 4:1 transfer case.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Going with Dana 60 axles. Get the Sport. But if you have plans on doing a Hemi swap. You will need a 4-1 transfer case from a Rubi.

Sponsored

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
Going with Dana 60 axles. Get the Sport. But if you have plans on doing a Hemi swap. You will need a 4-1 transfer case from a Rubi.
If he’s willing to do all that, what’s an Atlas II added to the build? Axles are $16-20k, hemi is another $40-50k depending which, Atlas is like $5000, chump change in comparison and bulletproof compared to a stock Rubi t case.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
If he’s willing to do all that, what’s an Atlas II added to the build? Axles are $16-20k, hemi is another $40-50k depending which, Atlas is like $5000, chump change in comparison and bulletproof compared to a stock Rubi t case.
The Hemi swap kits I've seen require the Rubi case. Why, I don't know. The Atlas is pretty neat the way it's set up.

OP
OP
rockrat44

rockrat44

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Engineering
Thanks for the responses, guys. I am leaning towards the Diesel and with the 60's being geared down, I don't imagine I would need much more power for a town cruiser. As much as I don't want to say this will be a mall crawler, it probably will not see much hardcore wheeling. I have dedicated crawlers for that so I am not sure I need the 4:1 T-case. I am wanting good road manners so the 60-swap would be to get the width without excess scrub radius.

I just did not want to be overlooking something that would render the Sport a major disadvantage.

-Kyle

AXISJT

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Wrangler, Gladiator ecodiesel sport
Occupation
Lab manager
Thanks for the responses, guys. I am leaning towards the Diesel and with the 60's being geared down, I don't imagine I would need much more power for a town cruiser. As much as I don't want to say this will be a mall crawler, it probably will not see much hardcore wheeling. I have dedicated crawlers for that so I am not sure I need the 4:1 T-case. I am wanting good road manners so the 60-swap would be to get the width without excess scrub radius.

I just did not want to be overlooking something that would render the Sport a major disadvantage.

-Kyle
If your honestly just using it for mall crawling Just get a rubi with the wide track 44s and a good shop and your road manners should be fantastic. spending 20k to put in 60s and not use it offroad seems pretty over the top just for road manners that would be hard to differentiate between the two at all if it was done correctly. Just my opinion no hate. if i had that kinda money to throw around maybe id think the same way lol

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
Like many have said most things that make a Rubicon a Rubicon are easily done with aftermarket. If you're already looking to swap axles, the Rubicon makes less sense IMHO. The only thing beyond the transfer case is that some options aren't available on the lower trims. I love the adaptive cruise control and wouldn't buy a trim without it. I don't think that is something easily added aftermarket.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

-Kyle
What size tires you planning on using? If you are mall crawling mostly, and you want the diesel. Get a Rubi for the trim. The stock axles will live with the 40's. But you might want to regear to 4.56's with the 40's.

OP
OP
rockrat44

rockrat44

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Engineering
My plan was for 40's. I prefer the 72.5" width that the 60's offer in addition to the reduced scrub.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Buy used, IMO the only advantage of the Rubicon for what you plan to do is the 4:1 transfer case.
This

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
My plan was for 40's. I prefer the 72.5" width that the 60's offer in addition to the reduced scrub.
I believe the Rubi axles are 72" wide.

Jamesrich82

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Critical Care RN
I believe the Rubi axles are 72" wide.
They are not. My Fusion Dana 60's are 72" wide and they were significantly wider than the factory rubicon Dana 44.

If you only want to go with 40's and not 42's, you can run a 72" wide axle. I have no issues with clearance and it's plenty wide with a narrowed offset wheel. If you want to go with 42's, you will want a 72.5-73.5 for clearance.

IMG_1791.JPEG
Sponsored