First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Pastor
I'm getting my Sport regeard soon. There's a very reputable off road shop a couple hours from me that's doing the work. The have done many Gladis and really love Ukon and have had no complaints for anyone. They are happy to Dana's but they like Ukon better. I've seen many people on these forums say to avoid Ukon. I'm just wondering why that is? Anyone have any advice you can shoot me?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gshane

Gshane

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Pastor
You 100% want Dana over Yukon.

Dana makes their gear sets for their axles. Made here in the US.
Yeah - I've heard that from several of you on this forum. I'm just looking for reasons Ukon is to be avoided. This off road shop has been around for 50 years and have a sterling rep for Jeep mods. Just wondering why they feel so good about Ukon and so many on this forum deeply disagree. Don't worry though - you guys have me convinced. I will be going with Dana! I'm just looking to be able to have a somewhat intelligent conversation with the boys at this shop. So far all I've been able to say is: all the guys on my Gladiator forum told me to avoid Ukons:).

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Yeah - I've heard that from several of you on this forum. I'm just looking for reasons Ukon is to be avoided. This off road shop has been around for 50 years and have a sterling rep for Jeep mods. Just wondering why they feel so good about Ukon and so many on this forum deeply disagree. Don't worry though - you guys have me convinced. I will be going with Dana! I'm just looking to be able to have a somewhat intelligent conversation with the boys at this shop. So far all I've been able to say is: all the guys on my Gladiator forum told me to avoid Ukons:).
My best reason to avoid Yukon is because I think Dana is the better choice.

It seems there are more incidents of bad Yukon gears vs bad Dana gears. Could be there are more aftermarket Yukon gear sets vs aftermarket setup Dana gear sets skewing that number. I'm not certain. But I don't remember hearing many (if any?) bad stories about Dana gears in the 25+ years I have been around Jeeps and 20 years on forums.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I'm getting my Sport regeard soon. There's a very reputable off road shop a couple hours from me that's doing the work. The have done many Gladis and really love Ukon and have had no complaints for anyone. They are happy to Dana's but they like Ukon better. I've seen many people on these forums say to avoid Ukon. I'm just wondering why that is? Anyone have any advice you can shoot me?
Search results with the correct spelling...
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/yukon-gears.64792/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/going-with-5-13s-one-question-for-the-masses.63213/

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...cturer-for-4-88-gears-and-where-to-buy.54323/

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Yukon is made in Chy-na trash

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Just wondering why they feel so good about Ukon and so many on this forum deeply disagree.
It could be they get better profit margin on the Yukon gears as they sell more of them (and better purchase pricing for them), could be their relationship with their Yukon rep is better than Dana, or any other number of things. I agree with others that if I have the choice, I'll be buying gears made by the same engineering team that designed the axle itself. Made in USA is a nice bonus.

OP
OP
Gshane

Gshane

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Pastor
It could be they get better profit margin on the Yukon gears as they sell more of them (and better purchase pricing for them), could be their relationship with their Yukon rep is better than Dana, or any other number of things. I agree with others that if I have the choice, I'll be buying gears made by the same engineering team that designed the axle itself. Made in USA is a nice bonus.
Good word man. Thx!

OP
OP
Gshane

Gshane

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Pastor
i had my gladiator regeared to 5:13 with revolution gears, so far very happy no issues.
Yeah - I've heard quite a few people speak highly of Revolution gears. I'm gonna get some numbers on em b4 I pull any triggers. Thx!

Sponsored

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Dana gears (5.13) appear to be 30+ weeks out from shipping for several of the parts packages according to their website - did the shop you're talking to give you an ETA on getting the parts??

OP
OP
Gshane

Gshane

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Pastor
Dana gears (5.13) appear to be 30+ weeks out from shipping for several of the parts packages according to their website - did the shop you're talking to give you an ETA on getting the parts??
I know this is another topic of great debate but I'm leaning toward 4.88 as my Jeep is 98% DD... It looks like the 4.88s are in stock. I could order em myself today from Quaduatrec. So unless there's something I'm missing I think I'll be ok. Thx though!

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
I know this is another topic of great debate but I'm leaning toward 4.88 as my Jeep is 98% DD... It looks like the 4.88s are in stock. I could order em myself today from Quaduatrec. So unless there's something I'm missing I think I'll be ok. Thx though!
Cool - was just curious as I'm going to be regearing to 5.13 next week...would love to use Dana/Spicer gears, but absolutely not willing to wait over 6 months. Hope you're able to get the 4.88s!

OP
OP
Gshane

Gshane

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Pastor
Cool - was just curious as I'm going to be regearing to 5.13 next week...would love to use Dana/Spicer gears, but absolutely not willing to wait over 6 months. Hope you're able to get the 4.88s!
Yeah - I get that. I'll let u know if the 4.88s are gettable. I should know soon. I wrestled hard between 5.13s and 4.88s. Its 1,000 miles for me in any direction to do any actual off-roading and I rarely if ever tow anything so 4.88s seem like a good fit for me needs. Hope I'm right:). Time will tell I guess...

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah - I get that. I'll let u know if the 4.88s are gettable. I should know soon. I wrestled hard between 5.13s and 4.88s. Its 1,000 miles for me in any direction to do any actual off-roading and I rarely if ever tow anything so 4.88s seem like a good fit for me needs. Hope I'm right:). Time will tell I guess...
Yeah, both seem like decent choices! I've got a Rubicon with 37s and will be buying a truck bed camper that weighs around 400lbs - plus I live in Colorado at around 6,000ft above sea level and often drive up higher into the mountains, so I think the 5.13s will be the best choice for me.
Sponsored