First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
2C7C0761-C52B-4E16-9D91-3074CEAD4734.jpeg
77D40474-4C94-4FED-9E7E-B9D854DA9E19.jpeg
Well i went ahead and changed the engine oil & Diff fluids also replaced Diff cover to a Dana Heavy duty one, the factory covers use a reusable gasket making this clean swap.
Can I get a link to the source for that cover please?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Texops

Texops

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, sold, 2023 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retirement Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Just had my first oil change as part of Jeep wave. Don't trust them much at all, but on this vehicle it's easy enough to check behind them. Just make sure the dipstick shows clean oil, up to the correct level and that the drain plug is tight (had that problem before). Totally get why a lot of people want to do it themselves as dealer service departments can be inconsistent. No issues with the first service on the JT though.
I understand that is good to check behind them but if they over tighten the oil filter/cooler housing it can crack or even strip the oil pan drain plug . I torque all these to factory specs as should they.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have had nothing but bad luck with dealer oil changes near me....three different dealers...all equally bad or annoying to deal with. The dealer we bought our Renegade and JK from does not even take appointments...its all first come first server for routine stuff like oil changes. They are always "busy" and last time we had my Wife's renegade in...it was two days before we got it back...just for oil change and tire rotation.

Not sure what I will do for my JT. Not sure I trust the likes of Jiffy Lube or the likes of Pepboys...but due to the hassle of disposing of oil in my area...not sure I will be able to do my own. I was taking my JK to Pepboys until the last time when they they called asking me to come in and show them how to open the hood? I had wife drive me ASAP and took the vehicle out of their hands. So Pepboys is for sure a no go...i mean seriously.
I want to do it right...best possible oil done right.

Any recommendations? I suppose I try to find a trusted local mechanic or something.

Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
change it yourself, only way to go, worth it
Sounds like the only way to go and be safe.

I need to research where/how to dispose of oil and filters in my area. Wife won't stand for containers of used oil piling up in the garage.

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
Just had my 1st oil change. Wouldn't ya know it, receipt says 6qts. :angry: now I'm back getting it drained and filled with 5qts. I drove about 100 miles with 6qts. Just for future, how much damage could show up later? Saturated seals? Leaking gaskets? I'm open to all you guys can think of.
PSA check your receipt, or even better tell the idiots b4 they start. FIVE 5 QUARTS:facepalm:

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Just had my 1st oil change. Wouldn't ya know it, receipt says 6qts. :angry: now I'm back getting it drained and filled with 5qts. I drove about 100 miles with 6qts. Just for future, how much damage could show up later? Saturated seals? Leaking gaskets? I'm open to all you guys can think of.
PSA check your receipt, or even better tell the idiots b4 they start. FIVE 5 QUARTS:facepalm:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I change the oil for my other vehicle and always end up putting in more oil than it is listed for. The oil capacity doesn't include the amount that goes into the filter (if you prime it), or circulates around. I pour oil into the reservoir to the appropriate indicator spot of the dipstick, run the engine for about 10 minutes, check oil level, it is below LOW. Keep filling, running, and checking. I'll often go 1/2qt over listed capacity in my Hondas.

I don't know how much they put in mine. They adjusted the steering and are looking into a TPMS issue so until the last part is done I won't get a receipt (I suppose I could ask them for it).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Actually it IS capacity with filter. Done thousands of changes on hundreds of vehicles - got paid to do it, too.
Oil capacity is generally give with filter sometimes with a note "x.x without filter" but since no one ever changes oil without a filter change the current practice is generally capacity with filter change being listed.

If you run it you must let it sit a few minutes before checking - a lot of oil stays in the upper engine. You can't run it, shut it off and immediately pull the stick. That will lead to a false reading. You can have about a half quart stay out of the sump for several minutes. Rough castings hold more, smoother aluminum not as much, but the heads and other areas do hold some oil for a while.

You will not harm seals or that sort of thing, but it CAN foam the oil - the windage in the engine is a big deal. People like me who want to run more oil in a high-perf engine will have things like windage trays, deeper pans, etc.
If it's full enough that the wind from the spinning crankshaft acts like wind on the ocean, it can literally cause the oil to foam - and that means less liquid oil, air in the oil, and air compresses - oil does not. Aerated oil can lead to bearing and other failures.
I doubt 6 quarts will be enough to cause issues - but I'd not run it for long periods or for high speeds without checking. It's possible with this engine design it might handle even 7 without trouble.
I run 6 in my V8s because I KNOW what they will handle - I know the distance of the throws from the oil when it's full or even a bit over-full.
The other reason to not run too full is the oil is whipped up into the air in the crankcase and carried out through the PCV action (or like the 4.0 with no PCV, it's STILL a metered vent - too full and you suck oil mist out of the crankcase and burn it.......)

Bottom line - too full CAN cause issues - how much is too full varies with the engine.
Oil mist being pulled into the intake from the crank throws whipping at the oil surface, or foaming of the oil from windage and whipping up of the oil like a strong wind on the sea.
But again - how much is TOO much varies with the engine..........

Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
The fact that dealer doesn't keep up with how much oil the engines in their own vehicles take is both sad and scary and telling of why dealers/dealer service departments are so worthless and scary. I know I no longer trust dealer service departments for anything.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The fact that dealer doesn't keep up with how much oil the engines in their own vehicles take is both sad and scary and telling of why dealers/dealer service departments are so worthless and scary. I know I no longer trust dealer service departments for anything.
No kidding. I've seen this 6 quart thing multiple times here - at least 3 or 4 and how many don't know, and how many are not forum members that this is happening with?
I guess they don't keep up well.
We had to go to factory training now and then - training put on by GM or whoever, generally we drove to Omaha for the training- told about all the new stuff, changes to things, what to do different with the new batteries or new alternators, different cruise troubleshooting methods.
Do they not go to classes or read the tech bulletins? OR, do they not ---- LOL - RTFM?

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
Sounds like the only way to go and be safe.

I need to research where/how to dispose of oil and filters in my area. Wife won't stand for containers of used oil piling up in the garage.
Here in NY any autoparts store MUST accept used oil for recycling. I go to my local advance auto to buy the oil and less than an hour later I bringing in the used oil. Piece of cake.

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
I had my first Wave (free) oil change by the dealership done today. I had 5085 miles on my Gladiator and about 44% on the oil life gage.There are several dealerships in proximity so an Express Services shop does oil changes (etc.) for all the nearby dealerships. I did not disconnect my Tazer Mini. Checked things out and all is well...….. I hope!! ;)
Sponsored