Sponsored

Dealer wants to install a non Mopar fuel filter

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
There is no such thing as a MOPAR fuel filter, or a MOPAR oil filter.

MOPAR doesn't even make all the hard parts on the JT let alone filters and belts and brakes.

A filter company makes the filters and then they are packaged in MOPAR packaging.

Since you already know the filter media size, find one from one of the reputable manufacturers and pay less for it because it doesn't say MOPAR on the box.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I’m well aware of the way the law is. However if the spec for the Mopar filter is 2 micron and the aftermarket filter is say 5 micron and the pump shits out while said 5 micron I can see stalantis saying hey you used the wrong filter access denied. I’ve just never had a dealer tell me hey we have to put a Napa filter or whatever in cuz we can’t get one. While I can obviously go to the web and have one in a day or two. I suppose that is where I was going with my rant. I did make the appointment two weeks prior and when I make an appointment I expected that they would have the parts to do the work prior to the date of service.
Dealers actually use non-mopar/motorcraft/acdelco parts all the time. Unless specified they just have to use a part meeting the minimum specs, typically they get the brand cheaper so they use it, but in a pinch no sweat off their back to install something else as a fram/wix/etc will all meet the minimum specs if its designed for the vehicle.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
If the aftermarket filter meets the same spec as the OEM, I would have no problem having them install it so long as the service ticket annotates it as such.

If the slap the aftermarket filter on but annotate the service ticket as a OEM part installed, then no bueno.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
The aftermarket filter will meet or exceed factory specs. And they cannot deny a warranty claim because you have an aftermarket fuel filter. It's literally against the law. Manufacturers cannot require their own parts to preserve a warranty.

My take is you're getting way too wrapped up about this. Here in November 2021, supply chains are a complete mess. You gotta use what you can get.
Yup.... Just yesterday, I used my undies for a coffee filter...... Had that chocked full of nuts flavor.......

Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Yup.... Just yesterday, I used my undies for a coffee filter...... Had that chocked full of nuts flavor.......
That is a true Californian.
Hilarious.😂

ko15870

First Name
ko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee; 2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
System Analyst
If your dealer installs it, they still have to warranty it if anything were to go wrong. I would be fine with it especially if the filter was a Wix. Great filters.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Terrible analogy. Just yesterday I used a Braun filter in my Melita coffee maker. That's more like it. And its perfectly fine.

$170
Wtf is the filter made of?
Gold?
It sounds like they're trying to ding him over $100 for labor.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Took my jtd in for oil change tire rotation and a fuel filter swap and they claim they can’t get a fuel filter from Mopar so they want to use an aftermarket filter…. @JeepCares is this normal?? Warranty issues?? Fuel system is not cheep don’t want to be left holding the bag because they put the wrong one in.
As long as a filter meets specs - who cares - BUT they must notify you. They can't just put the part in without your permission and they can't charge the MOPAR price
NO warranty issues, none, as long as it meets specs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Glad_he_ate

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Terrible analogy. Just yesterday I used a Braun filter in my Melita coffee maker. That's more like it. And its perfectly fine.

It sounds like they're trying to ding him over $100 for labor.
Actually they said the filter was 98.99 the rest was labor.
im also aware Mopar filters are made by someone else.
So yea the Braun filter in your meltita maker works but when the seem on your braun splits and you get a mouth full of grounds are you going to be happy? Or worse yet when your fancy double brewing recirculating bad ass coffee makers water pump dies and you have to go buy a new one happy? Nope! Now you have a mouth full of grounds and a busted coffee maker 🤣🤣🤣🤣 aka shitty Monday lmao. I get it I made a bigger deal out of it then need be I just know my luck . Getting tired of hearing sorry we can’t get this or that cuz Covid.

Deleted member 22728

You're ok on two fronts: one, the non-oe "branded" filter, if manufactured for sale and usage on the intended platform, has to meet or exceed the MS specification; two, the dealer is performing the service, thus the work is compliant with the factory warranty, as well as the Mopar dealer service "stamp of approval".
As to the cost, well insert whatever scause of the day for why it is what it is. I know, glib. The filter assembly itself, in the case of a diesel, has several functions. It sheds water initially, using a hygroscopic barrier that stops both large visible drops and tiny globs suspended in the fuel. It stops solids, semi-solids, and whatever else particles that shouldn't make it to the fuel delivery side.
You'll likely be fine with the part they suggest. Ask them for the vendor - NAPA (Wix), Baldwin/Hastings, Mann+Hummel, Hengst....etc.

EDIT for fat finger

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
DO watch the specs - not to scare anyone, and it's perfectly fine, legal, legit, ok, etc., to use non-branded parts of any sort as long as they meet OEM specs, but - even if they are made by the same company, say for example MOPAR fuel filters are made by Wix, the specs will typically vary.
Another company makes them to MOPAR specs. This has been proven many many times by people taking them apart and documenting the finds. MOPAR can go to a company and contract to have filters made but they won't be identical to the other filters made there.

I know these are different products - but two examples -
Western Tool division of AMF made much of the Craftsman branded lawn and garden equipment for Sears in the 60s and 70s - maybe longer. While my father worked there as an inspector Sears sent teams to inspect the facilities where things were made, they provided the blueprints and specs. They talked to people there and at one point, talked to my father after seeing his numbers and said "you'll make this product under one condition - this guy is the line inspector".

Kenmore appliances - I worked with a guy who had been involved with Kenmore. He said similar things. They'd go to a place like Whirlpool and have their own specs and designs and he said Kenmore was actually made to tighter specs than most of the other products Whirlpool made (at least at that time).

Then I can provide examples of where a guy took apart oil filters made in the same facility but branded differently. For the SAME vehicle he found the different filters - made in the same place - had different bypass valves in difference places, the internals were secured differently and so on. And yet they were made by the same manufacturer for different "brands" - made to different specs, all for the same cross-reference number. He compared oil filters that crossed to a specific MOPAR part number.
So "they are all made by the same place" doesn't mean they ARE the same - because NAPA will supply specs, MOPAR will supply specs and so on.

But again, as long as the dealer is using them, they should hopefully be the same specs as far as abilities, and the dealer indeed should make note of the part number and brand installed by them.
As long as it does the same job - why would it matter.........