Dealership Tries to Buy Jeep During State Inspection

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
Anyone have this weirdness happen? A lady, I can only assume is from my dealerships BDC/internet sales dungeon texted me while I was waiting all day for my state inspection offering to buy my truck “and get me into something better” and that she “had an offer ready and could meet me back at the dealership.” Keep in mind that this is dealership that only sells Jeeps. I had noticed sales people come out and take pictures of my truck when I pulled into the lot which kinda creeped me out. I told her $120,000 🤪(priced not to sell). That’s seemed to really offend her and she stated that “she was sure that I didn’t pay that much for it.” I agreed but said that I’m not really interested in selling, I do have close to $100k in it (not that I’d ever expect to get that back out of it) and the truck “has appreciated by $15,000 according to the Virginia Department of Taxation”. I also told her since she’s trying to buy the truck from a customer who’s just in for a state inspection for which there’s a national stop sale in effect, they must be really desperate. So I figure it’s a sellers market. She exclaimed that “they’re in business to make money!” Who knew?

This and the fact that it’s basically now impossible to call a dealership and get someone on the phone, make service appointments, etc. Things are getting weird.
Sponsored

Yona

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jt high alt
i do not miss living in nova, personal property tax was so hard to deal with

Sponsored

AmosMoses01

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Technology
I go to one of the 10 minute vehicle inspection shops here in TX, and am out of free oil changes, so haven't been to the dealership for a while. That being said, not too surprising you'd get an unsolicited offer like that at the dealer since they're sitting on inventory that isn't moving due to interest rates.

I get the occasional mailer from dealers I've bought vehicles from in the past offering to buy whatever I have currently + some sort of discount on what they've got on the lot. I actually did take advantage of one of those offers ... in 2013. In the past couple of months I've gotten unsolicited texts and emails from two Jeep dealers offering discounts on 2023 JTs they've got on the lot. You can tell the market has radically shifted as of late. .

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
In the past couple of months I've gotten unsolicited texts and emails from two Jeep dealers offering discounts on 2023 JTs they've got on the lot. You can tell the market has radically shifted as of late. .
I've never gotten one.

OP
OP
Wolf Island Diver

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
I go to one of the 10 minute vehicle inspection shops here in TX, and am out of free oil changes, so haven't been to the dealership for a while. That being said, not too surprising you'd get an unsolicited offer like that at the dealer since they're sitting on inventory that isn't moving due to interest rates.

I get the occasional mailer from dealers I've bought vehicles from in the past offering to buy whatever I have currently + some sort of discount on what they've got on the lot. I actually did take advantage of one of those offers ... in 2013. In the past couple of months I've gotten unsolicited texts and emails from two Jeep dealers offering discounts on 2023 JTs they've got on the lot. You can tell the market has radically shifted as of late. .
Yeah, it’s kinda weird. My dealership is sitting on tons of inventory and used prices are still high. Jeep has priced themselves almost out of the market so they’re not moving anything. There’s not a single 4xe on the lot under $70k. They had a modded Sport JT that only had a lift and tires. They wanted $20k extra for that. It’s not that I’d expect dealerships to not be trying to make money but I feel like they’ve gone crazy. It’s gotten to where you’re more likely than not to see a “market adjustment” on just about every car despite supply chain issues mostly having straightened out. Now they’re just trying to gouge people as long as they can. I know from my sister working at a Toyota dealership, salespeople are expected to sell above sticker at this point. They work down from the “market price” That’s the new normal, regardless of availability.

My suspicion was that they’d like to stick my truck up front where modded Jeeps bring people onto the lot. Or they really thought they could buy the thing for some ridiculously low amount and flip it quick. I’m so glad I’m not trying to buy a car now. It’s just more downward pressure on consumers. One more thing to add to the pile of BS screwing you over in every transaction or interaction with any market. We’ve got to be collectively reaching the breaking point.

AmosMoses01

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Technology
I've never gotten one.
:) You must have better spam filters than I do, or perhaps because I bought through my employer's arrangement with Stellantis for "employee discounts" I got put on a targeted advertisement distro. No idea.

My suspicion was that they’d like to stick my truck up front where modded Jeeps bring people onto the lot. Or they really thought they could buy the thing for some ridiculously low amount and flip it quick. I’m so glad I’m not trying to buy a car now. It’s just more downward pressure on consumers. One more thing to add to the pile of BS screwing you over in every transaction or interaction with any market. We’ve got to be collectively reaching the breaking point.
Sounds like a good guess. They're likely looking for anybody without good financial acumen to bite on these type of "offers." I wonder if Dave Ramsey sells T-shirts - that would be fun to wear going into a dealership finance person's office. :)

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
They’d give you $38k and tell you the mods don’t add value. Then they’d laugh as they list it for $72k and list every mod… a week later they tell the guy who buys it they can’t take less than $72k, it’s a sellers market and they need to make money after all.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've never gotten one.
We've not gotten any lately, either. And no discounts on anything on the lots. They are selling.
we used to get offers, cards in the mail and so on, but that stopped over a year ago now.

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
Anyone have this weirdness happen? A lady, I can only assume is from my dealerships BDC/internet sales dungeon texted me while I was waiting all day for my state inspection offering to buy my truck “and get me into something better” and that she “had an offer ready and could meet me back at the dealership.” Keep in mind that this is dealership that only sells Jeeps. I had noticed sales people come out and take pictures of my truck when I pulled into the lot which kinda creeped me out. I told her $120,000 🤪(priced not to sell). That’s seemed to really offend her and she stated that “she was sure that I didn’t pay that much for it.” I agreed but said that I’m not really interested in selling, I do have close to $100k in it (not that I’d ever expect to get that back out of it) and the truck “has appreciated by $15,000 according to the Virginia Department of Taxation”. I also told her since she’s trying to buy the truck from a customer who’s just in for a state inspection for which there’s a national stop sale in effect, they must be really desperate. So I figure it’s a sellers market. She exclaimed that “they’re in business to make money!” Who knew?

This and the fact that it’s basically now impossible to call a dealership and get someone on the phone, make service appointments, etc. Things are getting weird.
Nice rig!
I get a call, or a request for an opportunity for them to look at my JT and provide a quote, or a mailer from the dealership with a buy and upgrade offer every time i service my vehicle there. I still owe money on my loan and what they are offering wouldn't cover that and enough of a down payment to keep me in the same payment range. I would also want the same color again (Punk'n Orange), so far, no go.

Jeep 2.jpeg