Death Wobble and Steering Issues

Bucephalus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator/ 20 AMG GLB 35/ 02 Ranger/ 06 BMW M3
Occupation
Laboratory and Medical Supplies
I’ve been chasing DW as well. Check out Lunentucker’s post above. That’s how I’m attacking it. I move next week so I don’t really have time on my side unfortunately.

0 toe and 6 degree caster didn’t fix it for me. Neither the shop or I found ball joint play. My drag link had some vertical play at the joint on the pitman arm though. This doesn’t surprise me because my bump steer has gotten noticeably worse over time.

I’m having them replace the drag link, tie rod, and stabilizer all in one since I don’t really have time to do step by step eliminations. I move next week, so at the very least I’m hoping the Fox ATS stabilizer masks the issue for my 1,800 mile drive. Fingers crossed that maybe the new drag link and tie rod actually fixes the issue.

Causes vary though…your DW could be something different from another person experiencing it.
It's the Stabilizer. I'll bet the farm on it! Ask me how I know.
Sponsored

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have a stabilizer I'll sell cheap!! Just be ready when you turn hard left, it doesn't want to let you go back straight. Hmm, that almost sounds political! 🤔

20230507_164813.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I have a stabilizer I'll sell cheap!! Just be ready when you turn hard left, it doesn't want to let you go back straight. Hmm, that almost sounds political! 🤔

Jeep Gladiator Death Wobble and Steering Issues 20230507_164813
That's the drag racing version........ keeps your wheels straight.

HappyGladiator

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrical tech
Just got back from Overland Expo. Spoke with Fox shock people there about my shake issue. They said it's probably a SS issue as the factory one is designed for factory tires and no lift and factory wheels. They said get a Falcon or Fox HD unit, adj is best.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just got back from Overland Expo. Spoke with Fox shock people there about my shake issue. They said it's probably a SS issue as the factory one is designed for factory tires and no lift and factory wheels. They said get a Falcon or Fox HD unit, adj is best.
While it's true that it's designed for stock situations, asking the people in charge of marketing and selling something what a solution is is akin to asking NGK what's the best spark plug for your engine. Well, theirs, of course! It will get you better starting, better mpg and might even make the truck look better and as a bonus, your wife will appear prettier.
They are there to market parts.
They aren't about to suggest work in finding the true source for the shake, they'll suggest masking it with product.
Another issue is that no one wants to admit that some of the stuff they've done to a vehicle is the reason for the problem.
But when you've taken something outside of good engineering parameters, outside of the range at which things operate properly without a crutch, you're going to need a crutch.

Sponsored

HappyGladiator

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrical tech
They did suggest a close inspection of everything in the front end but with only 6K on it wear is not likely. Nothing I have done is really abnormal. Fox said that the Falcon unit is also very good. They also said that CA brackets help a lot but i am only lifted 2 inch and brackets require 2 1/2 lift for their use. I did see several JTs at the Expo with 40+ tires and wonder how well they handle on the highway.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
They did suggest a close inspection of everything in the front end but with only 6K on it wear is not likely. Nothing I have done is really abnormal. Fox said that the Falcon unit is also very good. They also said that CA brackets help a lot but i am only lifted 2 inch and brackets require 2 1/2 lift for their use. I did see several JTs at the Expo with 40+ tires and wonder how well they handle on the highway.
2" lift and Rancho brackets made all the difference.
For the last freakin' time, STABILIZERS DO NOT FIX DEATH WOBBLE!

Check EVERTYHING!
It could be as simple as the Pitman Arm nut being loose.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I hate YT videos where the maker insists on showing their own goofy face with a weird look.

HappyGladiator

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrical tech
What I have is NOT a DW condition. It's a slight and brief movement of the steering wheel after hitting a irregular bump on the freeway at freeway speed. I know what DW is and this isn't it. My JT has 6K miles so I hope things are not worn out yet. My tires and wheels are nothing out of the ordinary really.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My tires and wheels are nothing out of the ordinary really.
.......compared to............ ?
If you have changed the width and/or offset, there ya go - could be contributing to issues. It depends on the combinations of changes. Sounds like you've changed scrub radius - I know, many Jeep forum experts will say "doesn't matter, you can do whatever you want - I do and it's fine" but......... there's reasons engineers actually DO engineer things.

People have found things worn and loose on Jeeps with lower miles. It's called tolerances. New part passes, but is on the loose side of that spec, a few thousand miles and it's worn.

Sponsored

HappyGladiator

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrical tech
My 0 offset Methods and 315-70-17 BFGs are nothing compared to the much larger 37s+ with much neg offset wheels. I hear what you're saying about it. It's bugger than stock and the scrub has been really changed but not much more than the factory wheels with spacers to clear larger tires. Glad I kept my Factory wheels but my BFGs will rub in off road use.

Camaroboi13

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
My 0 offset Methods and 315-70-17 BFGs are nothing compared to the much larger 37s+ with much neg offset wheels. I hear what you're saying about it. It's bugger than stock and the scrub has been really changed but not much more than the factory wheels with spacers to clear larger tires. Glad I kept my Factory wheels but my BFGs will rub in off road use.
Had a brand new set of 315 70 17s installed on my wife's JLU after I did her lift. Every time she hit a bump the thing would wander like crazy and chase cracks in the road. Had nothing to do with alignment, because toe was the very first thing I thought of. Replaced the brand new BFG K02s with some 35" Milestar Patagonia tires and guess what... her issue went away. She was only lifted 2" on 315s. Just throwing that out there. Probably the one and only reason I won't buy BFG anymore. I'm sure they're a great tire, but not for me.
Sponsored