First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
Honestly I’m not sure that you do, I think it would be sketchy as hell. Could you do it, sure! Would you want to, that I’m not so sure about.
There is a better than not chance in the future I'd be hauling a small camper (thinking around 5k max) and/or a boat (again, @5k max, 21ft center console). I'm in the Baltimore area and not terribly far from the water but not close enough to warrant a slip rental. The longest I'd likely haul a boat would be within 3 hours.

The Sport S Max Tow at 7600lbs is right on the nose for what I'm looking for. Its just the suspension setup on the Mojave is better. It is a real quandary.

I’ve always maintained that if you want to do serious towing a Gladiator isn’t the right truck for you. Eventually when you’re maxing out your GVWR and towing a load that’s longer and heavier than your truck, it gets pretty damn uncomfortable. I used to have a F150 Ecoboost that was factory rated to tow 12,000 lbs, and then I had a tune and full bolt ons to boot. I towed a boat and trailer that was probably 35’ long and weighed in the ballpark of 8,000 lbs. Even after I added electric over hydraulic brakes it was never comfortable, I could always feel the length and weight of that trailer behind the comparatively smaller and lighter truck. After one summer I upgraded to an F250 diesel that was a dramatic improvement despite being a less powerful truck.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all on any of this. If I was regularly hauling a long, heavy trailer, it would be Superduty all the way.
Sponsored

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
Really my point was that when you start getting close to tow rating and/or GVWR, it’s possible things get a little sketchy. But I’m pretty paranoid when it comes to towing and also don’t like to slow down, so it might be more of a me thing.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't get Gupton to call me back. I've got a text from them for me to approve the text system.. an email but I've called ,texted , email back even tried the chat window and getting frustrated after trying for about 8 days.
You need to accept that you aren't really going to talk to them. I had a hard time with this. But once I realized that they were very prompt to return emailed questions, it was fine.

Not "high touch" but efficient and honest.

When you email them I'd suggest "I'm ready to order" or something like that in the subject line.

If they sent you a config with the order button and you aren't ready to order, I'm guessing you have a question or concern about the configuration.

In that case "I'm ready to click on Order but have one more question" might be a good subject line.

Its a pain in the ass I know and is less than ideal. But this is the only time things are difficult.

Daniel handles the quote/negotiations. Once you order you are handed off to Renee who responds to any questions you have after the order in less than one business day.

My perception with Gupton was a bit of annoyance in the beginning, but as things progressed it got easier and easier. Part of the problem is they are a small shop with lots of people emailing them kicking tires. So they get behind. They triage people who are ready to order and DEFINITELY put people who have ordered but not yet picked up in priority.

When I was getting within a week of picking my truck up, I'd get a response from Renee to any questions within an hour or two.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very well stated. I would go with a Mojave but the lowered payload and very low towing coupled to reviews on towing with it are a bit… alarming.

what I want to figure out is how to build a Sportjave, at least from a suspension standpoint, that can tow 6500+
Very low? 6000 lbs isn't very low. Its a bit lower.

Not like the 3000 lb tow rating with a manual trans in any version.

shokker70

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail
Freedom Edition is back for MY23. Pretty good package IMO. No diesel option apparently, but if wanting gas, worth looking into.

Sponsored

AirbusDriver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Pilot
You need to accept that you aren't really going to talk to them. I had a hard time with this. But once I realized that they were very prompt to return emailed questions, it was fine.

Not "high touch" but efficient and honest.

When you email them I'd suggest "I'm ready to order" or something like that in the subject line.

If they sent you a config with the order button and you aren't ready to order, I'm guessing you have a question or concern about the configuration.

In that case "I'm ready to click on Order but have one more question" might be a good subject line.

Its a pain in the ass I know and is less than ideal. But this is the only time things are difficult.

Daniel handles the quote/negotiations. Once you order you are handed off to Renee who responds to any questions you have after the order in less than one business day.

My perception with Gupton was a bit of annoyance in the beginning, but as things progressed it got easier and easier. Part of the problem is they are a small shop with lots of people emailing them kicking tires. So they get behind. They triage people who are ready to order and DEFINITELY put people who have ordered but not yet picked up in priority.

When I was getting within a week of picking my truck up, I'd get a response from Renee to any questions within an hour or two.
Finally got a call. So I emailed the pdf. Thanks.

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
Very low? 6000 lbs isn't very low. Its a bit lower.

Not like the 3000 lb tow rating with a manual trans in any version.

I may not have explained my thinking properly then. I'm coming from a 1st Gen Tacoma and honestly, I was ready to buy a new one until I started considering the other mid-size trucks out there. I towed regularly with my Taco, too.

Understanding that the Mojave's tow capacity in V6 form is 6k, Rubicon is 7K, and Max tow Sport is 7650...

In order to be safer while towing a camper I'm limiting myself to tandem axles only and will absolutely use a weight distribution hitch. That puts me firmly in the 5K weight range. If I use the rule of only pulling 75-80% of my capacity, I'm well below that on a Max Tow Sport and Rubicon and just at the line on the Mojave. I'd rather have the Max Tow ability and not use it than not. Regardless of which one I eventually settle on I'll be installing airbags in the rear, too.

Furthermore, one of my plans is to eventually use it to haul my e46 to and from the track a couple times a year. That's 3500 for the car (assuming I don't add lightness) and around 16-1700 for a lightweight aluminum trailer like a Timpte tilt load. Total is still just over 5k.

The other thing that concerns me is the reviews I've read about the Mojave and towing are not good given the softer suspension. I haven't seen it on here yet but has anyone corrected that problem?

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
If you want a Mojave I’d think the airbags would do a lot to mitigate the softer rear springs?

OP
OP
Blitzinger

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
What part of NY are you in, and how primitive do you want to camp?
I live in Westchester. Wife and I were doing the “car camp” thing, i.e. going to state parks, renting campground, and camping there, back in 2020. Since then things slowed down a bit, we’ve had a kid recently, and are dreaming of getting back out there, for the fresh air, mental and physical wellness. We went all over in 2020 In NY.

Honestly we weren’t even sure if we would like it so we tried a place 2hr away because driving that at 1am if we wake up and not liking it wouldn’t be a big deal. Ended up liking it, and booked 9 more weekends which took us through season end. I’d like to start getting back to that and then maybe slowly getting into overland.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Sponsored

OP
OP
Blitzinger

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Rubicon if you are actually going to rock crawl and do legitimate off roading, which most don’t. I’d guess 90%+ people that own a Rubicon don’t actually need the capability.

Mojave if you are happy with the suspension stock or very near to it. The Mojave has the best ride quality, but if you go more than a 2” spacer lift your are throwing away the suspension which is sort of the entire point.

Sport S or Willys if you really want to build one out but don’t have ambitions of rock crawling. As others have mentioned play with the configuration tool because some options aren’t available, and you can option a Willys pretty close to a Rubicon or Mojave in terms of price.

Overland if you like the maximum luxury wanna be G-wagon look. I think all of the luxury options are available on the Rubicon and Mojave which both have mechanical upgrades as well.

I had both a Taco and 4Runner as long term rentals and wasn’t impressed in any way. I would have a Colorado ZR2 over either one, but it has small back seats and a cheap interior. Beware the Defender, they are typical unreliable Land Rover. A friend bought one new and traded it in after 6 months on a Mercedes because it was always in the shop.
Thanks for this perspective. It sounds like, from what I’ve read on a lot of posts, my focus should be more along the lines of Mojave or sport s/Willy’s. The local shops in Yonkers Said to lift a sport/Willy/overland to have the fox shocks and lift to look like a Mojave/rubi is around $2300 for parts and labor.

I’m curious what kind of deals can be had and since I’m in no rush, I’m willing to wait to find out. Rhineback NY has a sh*t ton of gladiators, rockland has like 19, local has 12. Curious to see how they’re able to sell going into fall with 2023 coming out

OP
OP
Blitzinger

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Appreciate all the responses and everyones been super helpful. I think I have a good idea of where I need to zone in on: Mojave or a sport s/Willy’s and add a lift/LED lights.

I don’t tow which sounds like it’ll help me in this a bit.

While defender is significantly more expensive, its something i was genuinely interested in until I test drove a p300 yesterday and was not really blown away. $76k for the p400 doesnt seem worth it to me at this point.

That said, local dealers (within 2hrs) have a ton of gladiators of all types so I sent out some emails and will see where things land in the next few weeks. I’m not in a rush so time is on my side as we have our 1.5 car garage torn down to be replaced with a 2 car garage. Also our 4 month old is in no way ready for camping so again, we have time. I can’t see myself spending 60k+ on a gladiator so we’ll see if solid deals come up due to high inventory. If not, we can always order or….dare I say it….wait for….maybe…Ineos grenadier..? *ducks*

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Thanks for this perspective. It sounds like, from what I’ve read on a lot of posts, my focus should be more along the lines of Mojave or sport s/Willy’s. The local shops in Yonkers Said to lift a sport/Willy/overland to have the fox shocks and lift to look like a Mojave/rubi is around $2300 for parts and labor.

I’m curious what kind of deals can be had and since I’m in no rush, I’m willing to wait to find out. Rhineback NY has a sh*t ton of gladiators, rockland has like 19, local has 12. Curious to see how they’re able to sell going into fall with 2023 coming out
Yup. At the end of the day, most folks don’t NEED two lockers (JTR). That being said, I did once need both of them (‘06 TJ Rubicon) due to deep snow one time. Without the lockers, I would have been calling for a tow. Really shouldn’t have been there in the first place, so that’s a self-critiquing mistake. 🤣

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Yup. At the end of the day, most folks don’t NEED two lockers (JTR). That being said, I did once need both of them (‘06 TJ Rubicon) due to deep snow one time. Without the lockers, I would have been calling for a tow.
Yep. I definitely haven't *needed* my lockers anymore than if I had the lsd (completely open is a non-starter for me). I'm too chicken to try anything where I truly would need them. But man, it's nice having them. It's like a cheat code. And it's nice disconnecting at the touch of the button. But we're a two jeep family, and I'm impressed with my wife's jeep that only has lsd.

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Never owned a Jeep. Live in Ny. Have one car because never needed a second.

Now wife and I have a kid and we are running into scenarios of needing a second vehicle. I want something to take Off-road and camping. Tacoma steering felt cheap IMO, I test drove a rubicon gladiator and a LR defender. Defender was comfortable but I like the versatility of the Jeep for getting mulch and stuff.

A rubicon seems like it’s got all I would need. Would it even make sense to look at overland and add the shocks/suspension/lift? Would I save money doing that?

also, there’s a ton of gladiators near me for sale, two dealers I know locally have a combined 31. And with 2023 coming out, how much can we shoot for On discount? One rubi I’m looking at is $58. $55 seem plausible?
If you're just planning on overland type off roading, don't over think the lockers and disconnects. With an LSD model you'll be surprised what you can do. Good tires and a nice lift will go a long way. You really need to question if you will NEED those features or not. It's not a matter of rubi vs trying to make a sport as capable as a rubi. It comes down to really looking at whether or not that large premium will actually give you a real benefit or not for your given use.
Sponsored