ralphjjr

ralphjjr Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle(s):
    2014 Ford TC Titanium | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Liked:
    Yea I like those D boxes too.

I'm heavily invested in Sortimo's L-Boxx line. So I have a bit of a battle internally, if I do the decked system I have to give up my L-boxxes. which, I'm not sure would be a wise thing...

Since they are not waterproof, to use my L-Boxxes I would need a topper, or a good tonneau cover... and I would get a bedslide... or make one. That I don't mind making out of marine plywood, or even some slatted metal. The l-boxxes have some clips at the bottom that let them click into each other, or onto a base. So you can mount that base onto anything, and click them in so they don't go anywhere.

These are some the Bosch branded L-boxxes, the most common. But there are all kinds of colors and other accessories available. I use them for power tools, hand tools, materials, first aid, testing equipment, etc, etc.

Bosch-L-Boxx-Collection.jpg

2. steffen707

steffen707 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 2010 Grand Caravan, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid
    Liked:
    Those look a lot like festool systerner boxes. Those are nice for around the shop, but bouncing around in a truck bed i think the plastic they're made of would crack. This would be solved with your clickable base you can mount somewhere however. Also inside of a decked drawer, they probably would be fine, but again not water proof. maybe not so important with hand tools, but you don't want your circular saw to be exposed to water a lot.

So many choices. I'm a cordless milwaukee m18 guy, so if I invest in their "packout" system I think those are waterproof. Not sure if they'll fit inside the decked drawers though.

My biggest thing is utilizing the cargo volume. If you have drawers below the deck, you can store stuff there, and use the bed. If you have a bunch of crap laying around in the bed and want to haul something, you either have to move that crap somewhere. That's a lack of efficiency. I can't tell you how pissed i get moving my shop vac hose from miter saw to track saw, and then to planer. Its such a waste of time every time I have to do it. Same thing with truck bed. :whew:

3. OP
    OP
    ralphjjr

First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I love milwaukee. Lots of milwaukee tools in my L-Boxxes. I was already too far in with L-Boxxes when packout came out.
    These boxes can take a beating, they're not cute cases for things, they are meant to be thrown around and mishandled. But, yea they'd have to be mounted to something.
    My thought is a custom bedslide with L-Boxx mounting points, but, of course, I can leave my L-Boxxes at home and still use that bedslide for other things - groceries, beach, overlanding...

steffen707 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    ralphjjr

First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    whoa. wait a minute... I can have my cake and eat it too! drawers below and a slider on top!!
    Copbox_03.jpg

http://cargo-ease.com/

5. steffen707

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    cool. Maybe i'm just afraid to abuse my festool track saw box, but I'd trust a packout much more than the systerner. I'll have to see one of the L-Boxxes, but I believe you that they're sturdy.

6. OP
    OP
    ralphjjr

First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I love the festool cases. That's where my research started years ago and how I found the L-Boxxes. If I was a carpenter, man I'd have all of those...
    The festools are very oriented to their own power tools, or at least they were back then. The L-Boxxes were much more configurable.

7. steffen707

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    i think festools systerner's are still each designed for their own tool, which is cool to keep organized. a Decked box would have been so awesome when I drove up to the UP to fix my deer stand. I had a couple milwaukee 26" boxes, not packout, a 5gal bucket filled with tools, a 5gal bucket with my safety harness stuffed in there. The back of my van was a disorganized mess. lol What's this thread about? oh right, Decked, and you created it, so I'm not worried about my side-tracked ness.

8. OP
    OP
    ralphjjr

First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    haha. I'm actively fighting disorganization.... as many L-Boxxes as I have I'm still battling moving them in and out of my van, how to get to which one I need when, etc, etc.

I have this slide out design in my head, that I wanted to make for my van... but life got in the way...
    basically, it's a slide out that has legs. So you can basically slide the whole thing out of your vehicle and roll it into your garage or something.
    So basically you can have different versions of slideouts... one for work, one for the beach, one for ...

I'm very ambitious... :giggle:

It's still at the drawing board for that one. Maybe with a JT i'll finally make one.

5chema likes this.