Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Yea I like those D boxes too.

I'm heavily invested in Sortimo's L-Boxx line. So I have a bit of a battle internally, if I do the decked system I have to give up my L-boxxes. which, I'm not sure would be a wise thing...

Since they are not waterproof, to use my L-Boxxes I would need a topper, or a good tonneau cover... and I would get a bedslide... or make one. That I don't mind making out of marine plywood, or even some slatted metal. The l-boxxes have some clips at the bottom that let them click into each other, or onto a base. So you can mount that base onto anything, and click them in so they don't go anywhere.

These are some the Bosch branded L-boxxes, the most common. But there are all kinds of colors and other accessories available. I use them for power tools, hand tools, materials, first aid, testing equipment, etc, etc.

Bosch-L-Boxx-Collection.jpg
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Yea I like those D boxes too.

I'm heavily invested in Sortimo's L-Boxx line. So I have a bit of a battle internally, if I do the decked system I have to give up my L-boxxes. which, I'm not sure would be a wise thing...

Since they are not waterproof, to use my L-Boxxes I would need a topper, or a good tonneau cover... and I would get a bedslide... or make one. That I don't mind making out of marine plywood, or even some slatted metal. The l-boxxes have some clips at the bottom that let them click into each other, or onto a base. So you can mount that base onto anything, and click them in so they don't go anywhere.

These are some the Bosch branded L-boxxes, the most common. But there are all kinds of colors and other accessories available. I use them for power tools, hand tools, materials, first aid, testing equipment, etc, etc.

Bosch-L-Boxx-Collection.jpg
Those look a lot like festool systerner boxes. Those are nice for around the shop, but bouncing around in a truck bed i think the plastic they're made of would crack. This would be solved with your clickable base you can mount somewhere however. Also inside of a decked drawer, they probably would be fine, but again not water proof. maybe not so important with hand tools, but you don't want your circular saw to be exposed to water a lot.

So many choices. I'm a cordless milwaukee m18 guy, so if I invest in their "packout" system I think those are waterproof. Not sure if they'll fit inside the decked drawers though.

My biggest thing is utilizing the cargo volume. If you have drawers below the deck, you can store stuff there, and use the bed. If you have a bunch of crap laying around in the bed and want to haul something, you either have to move that crap somewhere. That's a lack of efficiency. I can't tell you how pissed i get moving my shop vac hose from miter saw to track saw, and then to planer. Its such a waste of time every time I have to do it. Same thing with truck bed. :whew:

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those look a lot like festool systerner boxes. Those are nice for around the shop, but bouncing around in a truck bed i think the plastic they're made of would crack. This would be solved with your clickable base you can mount somewhere however. Also inside of a decked drawer, they probably would be fine, but again not water proof. maybe not so important with hand tools, but you don't want your circular saw to be exposed to water a lot.

So many choices. I'm a cordless milwaukee m18 guy, so if I invest in their "packout" system I think those are waterproof. Not sure if they'll fit inside the decked drawers though.

My biggest thing is utilizing the cargo volume. If you have drawers below the deck, you can store stuff there, and use the bed. If you have a bunch of crap laying around in the bed and want to haul something, you either have to move that crap somewhere. That's a lack of efficiency. I can't tell you how pissed i get moving my shop vac hose from miter saw to track saw, and then to planer. Its such a waste of time every time I have to do it. Same thing with truck bed. :whew:
I love milwaukee. Lots of milwaukee tools in my L-Boxxes. I was already too far in with L-Boxxes when packout came out.
These boxes can take a beating, they're not cute cases for things, they are meant to be thrown around and mishandled. But, yea they'd have to be mounted to something.
My thought is a custom bedslide with L-Boxx mounting points, but, of course, I can leave my L-Boxxes at home and still use that bedslide for other things - groceries, beach, overlanding...

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I love milwaukee. Lots of milwaukee tools in my L-Boxxes. I was already too far in with L-Boxxes when packout came out.
These boxes can take a beating, they're not cute cases for things, they are meant to be thrown around and mishandled. But, yea they'd have to be mounted to something.
My thought is a custom bedslide with L-Boxx mounting points, but, of course, I can leave my L-Boxxes at home and still use that bedslide for other things - groceries, beach, overlanding...
cool. Maybe i'm just afraid to abuse my festool track saw box, but I'd trust a packout much more than the systerner. I'll have to see one of the L-Boxxes, but I believe you that they're sturdy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cool. Maybe i'm just afraid to abuse my festool track saw box, but I'd trust a packout much more than the systerner. I'll have to see one of the L-Boxxes, but I believe you that they're sturdy.
I love the festool cases. That's where my research started years ago and how I found the L-Boxxes. If I was a carpenter, man I'd have all of those...
The festools are very oriented to their own power tools, or at least they were back then. The L-Boxxes were much more configurable.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love the festool cases. That's where my research started years ago and how I found the L-Boxxes. If I was a carpenter, man I'd have all of those...
The festools are very oriented to their own power tools, or at least they were back then. The L-Boxxes were much more configurable.
i think festools systerner's are still each designed for their own tool, which is cool to keep organized. a Decked box would have been so awesome when I drove up to the UP to fix my deer stand. I had a couple milwaukee 26" boxes, not packout, a 5gal bucket filled with tools, a 5gal bucket with my safety harness stuffed in there. The back of my van was a disorganized mess. lol What's this thread about? oh right, Decked, and you created it, so I'm not worried about my side-tracked ness.

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i think festools systerner's are still each designed for their own tool, which is cool to keep organized. a Decked box would have been so awesome when I drove up to the UP to fix my deer stand. I had a couple milwaukee 26" boxes, not packout, a 5gal bucket filled with tools, a 5gal bucket with my safety harness stuffed in there. The back of my van was a disorganized mess. lol What's this thread about? oh right, Decked, and you created it, so I'm not worried about my side-tracked ness.
haha. I'm actively fighting disorganization.... as many L-Boxxes as I have I'm still battling moving them in and out of my van, how to get to which one I need when, etc, etc.

I have this slide out design in my head, that I wanted to make for my van... but life got in the way...
basically, it's a slide out that has legs. So you can basically slide the whole thing out of your vehicle and roll it into your garage or something.
So basically you can have different versions of slideouts... one for work, one for the beach, one for ...

I'm very ambitious... :giggle:

It's still at the drawing board for that one. Maybe with a JT i'll finally make one.

nerdridesbikes

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Colorado
the decked systems look really nice, but seem like alot of wasted space. Thinking about a custom aluminum setup similar, but instead of two smaller drawers, just build one big bedslider, and be able to put modular dividers.

Dietruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE, 2004 Z06, 2021 Model Y
As a heads up I emailed decked last night about timing for order placement. Here is what I got back:

Good questions Scott! We hope to have the Gladiators available this fall and technically Chrysler will have exclusivity for 60 days as soon as the systems are available. All this is, however, subject to change. Please check back with us later this summer for an update.

I then asked about the system blocking the plug on the right side. This is what I got back a few minutes later.

Another good question. Please see the info below from our engineers. This is subject to change for the final product:

The bedlights will be mostly obscured (red circled area).
â–Ľ Hide quoted text
A flat head pigtail extension cord would need to be plugged into the power outlet before the RH Side of the System was installed in the bed (blue circled area).

Modifications may need to be made to the outlet cover, or the cover removed to enable this installation.

decked.jpg

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a heads up I emailed decked last night about timing for order placement. Here is what I got back:

Good questions Scott! We hope to have the Gladiators available this fall and technically Chrysler will have exclusivity for 60 days as soon as the systems are available. All this is, however, subject to change. Please check back with us later this summer for an update.

I then asked about the system blocking the plug on the right side. This is what I got back a few minutes later.

Another good question. Please see the info below from our engineers. This is subject to change for the final product:

â–Ľ Hide quoted text
A flat head pigtail extension cord would need to be plugged into the power outlet before the RH Side of the System was installed in the bed (blue circled area).

Modifications may need to be made to the outlet cover, or the cover removed to enable this installation.

decked.jpg
Cool info, damnit they're covering that light up....I'll modify and bolt some kind of exterior outlet plate to the box to use the outlet.

OP
OP
Tortooga Custom Works

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

â–Ľ Hide quoted text

decked.jpg
Good info!

Dietruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

â–Ľ Hide quoted text

decked.jpg
So I asked one more question this morning on the decked system.

" Does the top height of the decked system line up with the part down position of the Gladiator tailgate? So that a 4x8 sheet of plywood will lay flat."

He didn't understand the question fully but said the deck height is 12 inches.

Can anyone take a picture with the tailgate it plywood position and a 12 inch ruler marking the height?

I am pretty sure the deck system is going to be too high to use the tailgate without a spacer of some sort.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I asked one more question this morning on the decked system.

" Does the top height of the decked system line up with the part down position of the Gladiator tailgate? So that a 4x8 sheet of plywood will lay flat."

He didn't understand the question fully but said the deck height is 12 inches.

Can anyone take a picture with the tailgate it plywood position and a 12 inch ruler marking the height?

I am pretty sure the deck system is going to be too high to use the tailgate without a spacer of some sort.
i'm guessing the height would be about 7" above the deck, because you need to put 2 2x4 on top of each other in the rear slot, so yes the middle position would be useless without some kind of spacer........perhaps made out of plywood?

Dietruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i'm guessing the height would be about 7" above the deck, because you need to put 2 2x4 on top of each other in the rear slot, so yes the middle position would be useless without some kind of spacer........perhaps made out of plywood?
Agreed. An idea just popped in my head. I will have to draw it out and sent it.

I was worried about the decked system not being "plywood rated". Lol Now I have a plan.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.